WOT / WEB OF TRUST

Posted:

Recomendation

Virginia
I would recommend WOT or WEB OF TRUST download for your computer(s). It warns you if you have clicked on a questionable or possible scam website.

Full instructions are provided on how to use this download properly and it’s FREE.
Please Google Search “web of trust” before downloading for Complaints for your own piece of mind.

When it gives you the “Black Page Warning”, you have a choice of ignoring and going to the site, reading what others have said about the site in question, or simply backing out of the site.

When you get a bunch of search results, each one has a GREEN, AMBER, or RED circle after it. Green=OK, Amber= Be Careful, Red= BAD site. If you follow the warnings and not go to the RED sites and certainly never give your credit to these RED sites, avoiding the AMBER sites, you should be OK. If a site does not have one of these colored circles after it, it hasn’t been rated yet. That could mean it is a new site or a name change.

Always be skeptical of giving your credit info to any website or allowing your computer to be scanned by ANY website, especially those you are not totally familiar with.

If you go to a RED or AMBER site after being warned, then give your credit information to them, when you get SCAMMED….. Don’t blame anybody but yourself and your own STUPIDITY.

The download is available for Internet Explorer and/or Mozilla Firefox.

I know you will love the degree of safety you experience when surfing the internet with this valuable download.

Try it, if you don’t like it, you can remove it from your computer. There is NO spy ware, Trojans, or spy bots in the download.
Complaint comments Comments (34) Complaint country United States Complaint category Internet Services

Comments

N  25th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
you. are a gay boy.
D  6th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
This NOT a reliable site or program at all!

I like you used to trust WOT until they had one of their staff or owners (Deborah) tell me to post my site in their forum to be rated & my pretty good rating went downhill from there.

I was attacked by their guys who I feel do nothing but sit there all day & rate sites. Even the BBB treats you more fairly.

If they don't like the content of your site, it doesn't matter how many positive things are said about it, they will ignore the positive & pick the site to shreds. I tried to answer/address all of their questions & they still alluded to the fact that my site is a scam when NOTHING could be further from the truth.

My pretty good rating at 75 (from REAL PEOPLE who I NEVER approached) went down to 59 because of these cowboys who from what I can see don't understand the first thing about online business.

When Deborah tried to sell me on their WOT badge & seal, I was stupid enough to believe her & now people who don't understand their program will believe whatever WOT tells them.

Deborah's response to me saying I want my original rating back was to try & convince the judge & jury cowboys that they are wrong & I am right.

I've already spent enough time on this & you CAN'T convince immature ignorant people of anything. That I learned ages ago. They will believe what they want to believe until they grow up. If it was just one question or one concern, sure, fine, but that's NOT what happened & they didn't even make suggestions or try to teach me anything, they just accused me of things & put words in my mouth.

I thought fair & impartial people were going to rate my site, instead I got people commenting on how my site shouldn't be trusted.

I've also seen warnings of sites that I buy from & are NOT scammers. This WOT program is flawed & is convincing people that sites are scams when they aren't!
D  18th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
I agree with ep2002 (NOT with the "recommendation" above).

Yesterday was the first time I ever HEARD of WOT. A friend informed me, and other bloggers, that his site had been unfairly rated "very poor." We signed up to check it out, and added our own ratings countering the damage. Meanwhile, I questioned the reliability of ratings - and particularly of scary warnings displayed upon visiting sites, when such warnings were based on an obviously small number of ratings. I also raised questions about the credibility of their "Trust seal":

2. Choose trust seal option

Standard package
WOT Trust Seals are for e-commerce sites, publishers and small/medium business owners with good or excellent reputations. The standard package includes a WOT Trust Certificate and reputation alerts.

29.90€ 319.90€

Less than 24 hours later, I went from unrated to excellent (ratings from people who actually know me and have visited my site more than once) to - within an HOUR - "very poor." Retaliatory? I think so. Now, lest they counter that MY poor rating of the WOT site was also retaliatory, I refrained from rating until I felt sure that the reliability was suspect and the group activity was, indeed, retaliatory. It was suggested to me that I go into the forums - as ep2002 has already described - and appeal the poor ratings of my friend's site yesterday. I did not - that seems, to me, too much like going to the Mean Girls and asking them to let the nerd into their clique. And I really don't want to be part of their clique.

Ironically, the only thing I'm selling from my site are Amazon books and products, and, on another page, my own stock photos at ShutterStock. I'm an author. :)
A  18th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
Whatever you do, DON'T go into their forums. That's how they get you & they may rank your site even lower than it is now.

While I did learn something because of all this hell I went through, the bottom line is they have a very rigid view of what makes a site trustworthy & they don't look at the entire picture of the site, owner, industry etc., only what they think makes a site trustworthy.

If you work from home & refuse to divulge your home address via your domain, they will dock you for that. If you work in the adult industry & refuse to post your last name, they will judge you as if you are a mainstream company & make it seem like you are hiding something when you aren't, you are just protecting yourself.

While I agree there are certain parameters we should look for when deciding whether to trust a site or not, everyone has their own opinions about this. What they are looking for are things I don't really care about & I've been spending my money online for years & only lost money once or twice.

Anyone can lie about their biz address or phone number, or they can have a phone number & never answer it or return your calls. I have that happen all the time & I'm even dealing with 2 companies just like that that refuse to answer their phones like a normal business. Even Sunkist a HUGE corporation tries to hide their phone number, so while having those things on the site may make the site "appear" to be trustworthy, in the end the only thing that matters is your gut, seeing if they do call you back when you call or e-mail them, & you getting a feel for what they are like by communicating.

The only thing I will be adding to my site b/c I was just ignorant on this matter before, is a privacy policy page. Somehow in all the years of running a biz online, I never learned I had to have this although I did have a terms & conditions page which almost had all the required disclaimers. Since I wasn't out to harm anyone, it just never occurred to me people care if you put a cookie on their browser b/c 80% of all sites do that. It's a given.

And I even went to a forum I always frequent to ask other entrepreneurs what they have on their site just to see if I was totally wrong in my assessment. Only 3 people out of the entire forum which is VERY BUSY, said they agree with everything WOT says we should all have, but one also acknowledged that I was fighting an uphill battle dealing with the WOT forum.

Then I got beat up again by another person on that forum b/c he totally agreed with WOT. He was cold & unsympathetic making it seem like I was just an ignorant fool b/c I didn't have the privacy policy page. Him & another guy tried to scare me (how lovely). Again more control freaks who think they know it all. They seem to like to look down on you if you haven't quite learned everything you need for your site.

In fact, my legal guy said anyone can sue anyone, it's what they can prove is another matter, so even though I didn't have that disclaimer on my site, if the cookie didn't harm them in any way, it doesn't matter. But I like to have things covered, so it will go on my site within a week or two after we've drawn it up.

As you can see, one minute your site is up, the next minute you are down. Now that you are telling me this, I'm even more suspicious.

I asked the rep Deborah how a perfectly good site with a 75 rating could go down to 51 or 59 in one day & she didn't respond.

That alone tells me again that something is very wrong here with WOT.
D  18th of Aug, 2010 by    0 Votes
(Again, disagreeing with the recommendation at the top of this thread, not with the comments. ep2002 is right on the money here.)

I have a Privacy Policy and have had, for many years. It's a little non-standard, but has all the customary elements and I think it's very clear.

There were no negative comments or reasoning given, and the timing of the negative ratings was predictable and quick. You'd think people would learn a little subtlety, rather than being so obvious about it. (A better tactic would have been to give my site appropriate ratings, clarifying comments, and try to prove me wrong. The flaw here is in thinking I care about their ratings, one way or the other. Until this WOT thing hurt a friend who didn't deserve it, I had never heard of WOT. Maybe this is just a sneaky way to get more people to register, so they can claim MILLIONS of users! LOL - seriously, all I care about is the injustice of misleading innocent users into thinking these ratings reliably reflect anything more meaningful than personal bias and emotion.) I won't go into the forums and kiss anyone's fanny to get this corrected. That is simply not going to happen.
D  20th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
By the language, it seems that a band of teenage 'raters' with nothing else to do (lucky them) is mass rating sites - just like a video game to get their points up. Oblivious to WOT's own guidance they think they have a right to their opinions and subjectively rate sites. In the end, legitimate and virus free site owners will then find themselves going to the principal's office to ask for a second review. The raters, when they have time, will be glad to do this, if you mind your manners.

The system's intentions may have been in the right place, but the system is seriously flawed. Firefox needs to take a second look at these guys and carefully examine whether they want these raters, who manage to rate thousands of sites a day between school and World of Warcraft, playing the roles of middlemen. And I do mean playing.
N  20th of Sep, 2010 by    0 Votes
Theatre of the absurd:

Ranking falling for arguing with the 'kids'.

A  28th of Oct, 2010 by    0 Votes
This company has not only made deragotory remarks about my charitable organization with nation wide authorized and bona fide childrens charity associations, but they also have continually removed any positive comments, banned any comment voting whatsoever, and AND, after a year of this abuse to my 10 year old online business helping kids help kids, ON TOP OF THAT, they locked me from signing up. NOW:

I'd like to point out 3 things here.

1. If there privacy policy states they do not store your IP address and all information gets deleted, then they are both fraudulent themselves, as this is most definately a lie.

2. If their site is supposed to be opinion based, and they have called my business fraudulent in a factual way whereas nothing could be further from the truth, then as a simple fact, they are condoning FRAUD! IF a fact is a fact, then so be it. If a fact is false and also not an opinion, this company is now liable for defamation of public business character, and should be held responsible. The are stating false entries as facts NOT OPINIONS, what they are calling FACTS without any research AND not allowing a business to do anything to defend itself. Simply put, read # 3

3. After locking my IP from not allowing me to register to defend my position after deleting my requests for false statements to be removed (and voided their very own 'so called' privacy policy in the process as it's been locked for weeks, hmmm deleted daily, don't think so...) They then say you can appeal the lock by contacting them with a link. The link takes you to a sign in page. um, if you are telling someone to appeal a lock from signing in but then telling them they need to sign in to appeal, you are a complete scam. OH, and lets get to a #4 while we are at it:

4. IF YOU HAVE TO SEND YOUR BUSINESS CONTACTS TO THEIR BUSINESS FOR THEIR VERY OWN BLACKMAILED FRAUDULENT STATEMENTS ABOUT YOUR OWN ENTITY, THEY ARE PHISHING YOUR CONTACTS FROM YOU, AND SPAMMING THEM TO PAY FOR A MEMBERSHIP.

TO start a legal appeal and class action against this blackmailing slimy company once and for all. I will simply
start a website registered as blackmailed-by-MyWot.com or some deriviate and return here when a sign in sheet is set up.
With over 1000 to 10000 signatures and registrations (and I also intend to use facebook people since those are legitimate confirmed
complaints from real people, we can then provide this information to the BBB as well as sites like RippOffReport.com, scambusters.org
and the like. This Wot was a good idea until they started making money scamming people in return.

Keep in mind all I did that started all this was because I entered 1 positive
comment about my business on a 'trusted site' MyWOT page... that's all it took!!
They've locked all comment rating, and have even continually deleted 10 to 30+ per day
legitamate comments for the past several weeks after requesting TRUTHFUL OPINIONS ABOUT
OUR BUSINESS from our memberbase. In addition, they have blocked the positive and kept
all negative comments posted right at the top so they show up in search listings.

The answer is legal action:
We have since stopped sending them thier blackmailed 'leads' and decided the following:

CEASE AND DESIST ORDERS ARE FINAL. We have offered them this opportunity to remove the derogatory information.
IF A WEBSITE HAS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BUSINESS THAT CAUSES YOU HARDSHIP AND HAS NOT BEEN REGISTERED AS A COMPLAINT WITH THE BBB (EXPECIALLY IF IT'S FRAUDULENT TO TRY TO GET YOU TO SEND THEM WOT MEMBER PAYING LEADS) THEY ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL LOSSES INCURRED FOR THE ENTIRE DURATION THAT THE
FALSELY ADVERTISED AS FACTUAL STATEMENTS AND INFORMATION HAS BEEN DISPLAYED ON THEIR WEBPAGES.
N  21st of Feb, 2011 by    -1 Votes
WOT on the whole is a good add on.Yes mistakes are made, but nothing is perfect.Even Anti Virus suites have false positives.
Think of WOT as a map.It tells you were swamps are, fords in rivers to cross.But things can change.WOT gives me a rough direction.When I get to the place I am going I decide at the end of the day whether to enter or not.It will be based on WOT is written on the scorecard partly.But I also use link checkers to tell me if Malware is there also.
WOT also has good trusted sources supplying it with information like PhishTank a anti Phishing site and Malware Domains.A site well up to date on Malware.
I do use WOT and will continue to do so.You that complain.Why not join and be vocal of your concerns.You can change ideas through debate.All at WOT are volunteers.Ordinary people like you.If you have a reasonable argument join and debate it.
N  15th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
You cannot really delete WOT if you don't like it. It is spyware that leaves traces of itself behind. Even if you delete all cookies and clean out your registry. It has hidden information on your computer. Don't install this horrible program.
N  17th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
If you want to get rid of WOT uninstall the add on.You talk rhubarb TellItNow.Clean out your cookies and use a Flash Cleaner to get rid of LSO, s.
I am guessing you have a site rated Red TellItNow.I used to be a active user on WOT and to be fair its one of the best Site Advisors Out There.
D  20th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
WOT in some cases is being used to stifle freedom of expression through its anonymous 'raters'. One case in point is climatechangedispatch.com, which publishes viewpoints that question the validity of the global warming theory. Check the WOT ratings for this site. Particularly the vendor reliability rating. The site does not have advertisers or sell anything yet has a vendor reliability rating 0f 24/100!! WOT is a joke!
N  22nd of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
I question the Validity of Global Warming as do many others.I think its another money spinner.Buy Wind Turbines etc but that is only my opinion.
WOT is on the whole a good add on.I would guess people who downrated it are ardent none believers.But there is nothing to stop yourself and a group of firm believers in rating it up.Not been to nor visited said site.As I stated I am a Global Warming Sceptic so no reason to visit your site.
N  25th of Apr, 2011 by    +2 Votes
Rasputin sounds like someone who works for WOT or is one of those so called community people on WOT who has nothing better to do with his/her time & sits on his high throne & judges companies he/she knows nothing about.

Rasputin, companies don't have time to chase after immature idiots who post lies about their company. I wasted at least 10 hours of my time trying to fight the lies that were spread about my company & nothing changed. All I got were more immature kids talking out their blanks & my ranking went down even further b/c they didn't like me defending my company. I'm sure you will go & rank me low yet again b/c you don't like what I have to say.

Reputable companies don't go around paying people to post positive comments about them, that's unethical. Nor will I go ask my thousands of happy clients to go waste their time ranking my company as positive. 90% of them don't even know what WOT is. To explain to them what it is, get them do DL it, etc. etc. etc. is a waste of their precious time.

The fact that you think everyone should waste their time on this just proves you have no clue how a business is run.

I had a perfectly acceptable rating from REAL people before I was coerced by WOT to go to their site & ask people to rank my site. That's when everything went downhill from there & suddenly I had a poor ranking & someone at WOT saying they couldn't trust me & I'm a scam or something.

So anyone reading this, I feel what Rasputin says is totally false. You can read my story above.
D  25th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
Totally agree ep2002. Fighting them is a waste of time and definitely leads to yet lower rankings. These wannabe censors have nothing better to do and there is now way to overcome their 'votes'.

They have been taken to court in Florida:

"Ten Internet companies based in Florida have filed a lawsuit against WOT Services, the provider of safe surfing tool Web of Trust. The companies are requesting WOT to remove ratings and comments related to them and have accused WOT of defamation, violating rights, conspiracy and manipulating algorithms. WOT believes the case is baseless and has suggested dismissing the case in the court of justice in Florida. "

However they are claiming that a 2006 law gives them Internet Service Provider (ISP) status and are therefore immune from legal action or accountability of any kind whatsoever (except for their kangaroo court-type site reviewing system).
N  25th of Apr, 2011 by    -1 Votes
Unfortunately if you follow the links, it makes it sound like everyone who has filed suit is the problem, not WOT.
D  25th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
Howdy ep2002. Best link I could find. Others were worse. Tried to look up the actual court case but to do so requires registration and a credit/debit card - so much for court records being 'public'. Not about to do that, US government has a pretty lousy track record when it comes to securing info on its computers...
N  26th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
It's too bad we can't join suit. There was no mention of the law firm?
N  28th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
I totally agree with ep2002 --- and I would like to join the lawsuit.

What WOT amounts to is Slander / Defamation of Character. Anyone can rate a site and not leave a reason for it - there is no accountability whosoever on behalf of the person rating the site.

Freedom of speech does not mean you can arbitrarily bash someone - you cannot print or make public in any way a false statement that will cause injury. A negative WOT rating is Slander at it's best (or should I say worst) - it's strictly opinion, but by showing a negative rating, it is making a public statement that your site/company is somehow 'bad' - a blanket statement that can harm a person or company. And this very clearly amounts to Slander.

If anyone can find out how we can join the lawsuit against WOT, sign me up.
N  1st of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
WOT is totally inaccurate and if they get complaints this so called company should check out the site themself. I don't keep anyone information all my payments is processed through and by Paypal so I guess Paypal is a part of my scam even though Paypal have all my sensitive information to get in touch with me. WOT best to get it together because website owners will start complaining and attention to their intentions and actions will start to be question. I also notice anyone that gave WOT a bad review or spoke of their ethinics had red circles.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree