Worldwide Travel Center / Scam

We received a call last fall from Worldwide Travel Center asking us to vacation in Branson, MO. The cost was $69.00 for the package so I bought it with the agreement to receive 3 days and two nights as another "free vacation", along with golf for two and a $30.00 voucher for a restaurant. We did the condo tour as the agreement stated we had to do. We did use the golf and the restaurant voucher but when we got ready to leave the restaurant I had left a tip on the table but when my husband went to pay they made him pay an $8.00 tip so I went back and retrieved my $5.00 I had left on the table. And we received the brochure for the "Free" (not so free) trip. Well, then today I called to make reservations for our "free 3 days and 2 nights". Well, I got a woman of whom I could not understand her broken "English". But I was able to tell her we wanted to travel on August 22, 23 and leave on the 24th. And my destination I wanted was the Dells in Wisconsin which is one of the many sites they list on their brochure. And that my second choice was Lake of the Ozarks, MO and then Branson as a last resort. Well, she told me that my dates were not available but that if I went on the 21, 22 and left on the 23rd there was availability. So I stupidly gave her my credit card number (which I was smart enough not to give her my credit card with a larger balance on it. I have gone to my bank and requested a card with a very low limit on it for internet purchases and that is the one I gave her... thank God.) Anyway, then later in the day I get a call from them saying that those dates were not available either and I needed to take my 3rd choice of Branson. I refused. I told her I had just been to Branson and did not want to go back now. I wanted the Dells. So they preceded to tell me I had to change our dates again if I wanted the Dells. I told her I could not change the dates again because my husband is a supervisor at his job and he had requested the new dates earlier and that he could not go back now and want to change it again. They insisted that we would have to change to our 3rd choice again. I refused again. Then I got very uneasy about the whole thing and told her to just forget it... of which they really want you to do. She then said they could put me in a hotel but that I would have to send an authorization for the hotel to charge my credit card and I said no way. Then she said for me to send a check to them and and authorization and I said no. Then I told her I did not want any part of their vacation offer if they could not honor my request. I finally told her to just forget the whole thing and that they had better not charge my credit card or I would have an attorney and the Attorney General in several states involved in this. She finally said they deleted my credit card information and it would not be charged. I called my credit card company and told them about this whole mess. They advised me to put a freeze on my credit card or to switch cards all together. I hope this helps anyone out there that is considering this company. They are fraudulent. And it is much more trouble than it is worth. Just go to Hotwire.com or somewhere and go that route. I got a hotel in downtown St Louis for $45.00 a night by using Hotwire... and it was the Hyatt Regency on the Riverfront. THAT is more like it and without any headaches... please take my advice and stay away from this company.

Comments

• Je
      11th of Sep, 2009

We were going to go to Las Vegas on one of their mailers, we got it as a promotion from an auto dealer. We tenativly booked a weekend and 2 or 3 days later said we wanted to reschedule for a different date. My wife wanted to talk to me about which date we would want to go, so she said could they call her back the next day. They claim to have called about rescheduling but never left a message. I called today to cancel and they had went ahead an proccessed the confirmationan and charged me 50 dollars. With over 30 days still to go on our original date they processed it without confirmation. The last recorded conversation that we had with the company was that we were not going on that weekend and needed to reschedule and they still processed the order.

They have no record of me agreeing to their terms and conditions but they are still holding me to them. They require a LETTER to be sent and after they receive the letter it will take 7-10 business days. all the complaints I have seen have taken 5-7 weeks and still no word.

So in short, once they have your card they will process a "hold" even when there hasnt been a confirmation. Nor will customer service actually service a customer. Not a company with any customer service. Just a company that is going to arbitrarily hold on to sticking to snail mail. Ive gotten better customer service from Time Warner and D-Link and that is saying a lot!

• Eh
      6th of Oct, 2009

I got a Worldwide Travel Certificate as a gift and decided to used it for my birthday. I had plan to go to Lake Geneva, WI in September. I sent in the form with my check. A few weeks later, I got a call from a service rep informing me that my request could not be fullfill. So I wrote a letter on July 7, 2009 to request a refund. I got a call around July 17th, saying that my refund was being processed and I would have my money back in 6 weeks. I called on Sept 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, left my name and number, no one has returned my call. On Sept 11th, I filed a complaint with the BBB.
    As of today's date, Oct 6th, no one has called me, nor do I have my refund. I have an appointment to see my lawyer this week.

E. Helm