Worldwide Preferred Publishers / Debt Collection

In November, 2006 this company contacted my Daughter at College in Wyoming and offered her a deal on magazines. My daughter said yes and signed up for 3 years of magazines at $49.90 per month. When she called me (her dad), I told her she shouldn't be getting magazines. She was in College and didn't have a job.
I called the company and offered to pay a cancellation fee and they said that the fee would be around $900. I told them we didn't want the magazines and they said too bad, pay the money or else. My daughter never received any magazines.
Why am I complaining ... we are getting calls and letters from Attorney Firms stating that my Daughter owes this debt and needs to be paid.

Pat Lafferty pwlafferty@msn.com

Pw

Comments

14th of Feb, 2010

Pat: I was scammed by these charlatans in November 2008. The one thing I will say is don't give up. The so-called "collection agency" they've hired to go after me seems quite incompetent---I no longer have the school address or CC# as when I signed up but my phone number is still the same, and they keep sending threatening letters to my *OLD* address. You'd think with the area code they'd be able to figure out who I am but evidently not. ###. If they come after you with attorneys you hire an attorney yourself. Actually, I'd advise you ( but bear in mind, my advice isn't worth anything---I spent 7 months in law school before dropping out to go into education) to countersue for fraud, telephone harassment, and infliction of emotional distress, for starters. I honestly think if more people have the cajones to stand up to these hucksters then maybe Worldwide Preferred Publishers Service can be bankrupted or at least legally forced to close. Bear in mind that if she was first contacted on her cell phone, then the first call was illegal to begin with as telemarketing to cell phones is illegal. If you have any other questions, I probably don't have the answers but you can contact me at 740-649-4070.

• Jm
      14th of Apr, 2010

I too was scammed by these people. I was told my magaines would be $ 49.98 a month, but they started taking out $ 49. 98 the last of the month & then $ 39.98 the 1st part o the month. Not ot mention all the phone calls offering " deals " for a qick pay off. When called they told me they couldn't help me, but would put a block so no one else could get my information. Imay not be the smartest person, but how can they put a " block " on my account so no one else can get to it? Finally I had to go to my bank & put a stop payment on my account for the $ 39.98 payment. Now they have the ordasty to tell me I owe them $ 116.00. I am seriously considering reporting them to the BBB. Now when they call I just tell them " I'm not interested " & hang up. Last week they actually had the nerve to call me back after I hung up & stated, " This is not a sales call. " I told them I didn't care & hung up again. Now I receive letters.
    A word to everyone, beware ifyou get a call from Worlwide Preferred Publishers.

J. Miller-Thobe