World Wide Speed Post / Car Buying Scam

1 CA, United States Review updated:

This company is totally fake! I had posted my car for sale on Craigslist and received an email from a buyer that wanted to purchase the vehicle with only viewing a couple pictures of the exterior. He said he was camped at a remote location and was unable to speak with me personally regarding this sale. He wanted to pay for the vehicle through Paypal because it is so secure. His English writing was very poor and he kept saying how much he appreciated my understanding of the situation. I told him about needing his signature on the appropriate documents but he never responded to any of that but just wanted my Paypal email account name so he could transfer the money. He did give me an address that looks like a military address but when googled, points to a London location. So watch out for this type of scam. It doesn't seem to be well known about yet but it definitely seems like this scammer was trying to hack into my paypal account. Whats wrong with people?!?!?

Comments

• Eb
      Oct 12, 2010

The same thing happened to me look at the lady's email - Hello, I will be happy to buy it but i will not be able to come and view it in your place because I'm not at home for now. Note that you will not be responsible for shipping and handling and the payment will be made through PayPal. My shipping company will come to your location for the pick up. Kindly provide me with the address where it will be picked up so that i can forward it to the shipping company to calculate the cost of pick up for me. Do get back to me as soon as possible so that i can proceed with the payment via PayPa, if you don't have paypal account before kindly visit this site www.paypal.com/us it's easy and reliable
    Thanks

I told her it was unable to drive because the rear brake is seized but she just replied with okay great whats the address I'm waiting on you.. And then world wide speed post emails me trying to confirm.

• Ts
      Oct 14, 2010

Here is an example of the letter that was sent to me from "PAYPAL" this is a scam, so everyone out there be careful.

We have received an order from one of our customer to make an instant payment of $2, 680.00USD to your PayPal account. The payment has been made successfully and the money has been credited to your PayPal account but you will not have access to it. However, since this money is meant for a purchase or a service that involve a Shipping Company.We have to receive a confirmation that you have sent the pick up cost to Good Speed Express Mail before the money will be available for spending. This is due to the large increase in the rate of the online scams recorded last year (2009). We have changed some of our rules and regulation to make sure our clients, are safe from scam, PayPal in conjunction with The FBI and The IFCC has invented certain preventive measure to ensure the safety of our customers.

Such measure are:

1. Once a payment is made, A confirmation Email will be sent to the seller that the payment has been made to state the transaction details which has been sent to you. Also a confirmation is sent to the buyer that the money has been deducted from his or her account. So once you get this mail, You should take necessary action and get back to us with the confirmation that you have sent the pick up cost to the shipping company. Once we have confirmed the information provided with the shipping company, the money will be available instantly.

2. Once a payment is made and it has been approved by PayPal, such transaction is Sealed (because both seller and buyer must have come to a conclusion before payment is made by the buyer) so therefore neither the buyer or seller can cancel this transaction or ask for the returned to the buyer's account. Also, this is where we generate our income, because the more transaction made through PayPal, the more we generate our Income.

3. Failure to abide by these laid down safety measures by PayPal may leads to suspension from PayPal and further more invitation to an interrogation with the F.B.I

So can you see we are very considerate about the safety of both buyer and seller.

Note: that the pick up cost has been included in the payment.

Thank you for using PayPal!

• Ro
      Oct 20, 2010

Here's what I got.

Thank you so much. I have forwarded the address to the shipping
    company so they can calculate the pick up and delivery cost for me to
    make the payment. I'm sure they will contact you soon. I would like
    you to know that the payment will be made via PayPal because is fast
    and secured to send and received money online, All you have to do is
    send me your PayPal email address so I can make the payment
    immediately.

Hope to hear back from you asap.

Here's from the shipping company

We want to use this medium to confirm to you that we will be responsible for the pick up of the (1991 GMC).We will like you to kindly confirm your address where the (1991 GMC) will be picked up. Below is the address given to us by Desmond Joe:

However, we would like to know if the above address is correct and accurate so we can calculate the pick up and delivery cost.

For further information, Please reply to this message with any question you might have.

Phyllis Crawford.

Manager,
    World Wide Speed Post.
    Removals & Excess Baggage Specialists.
    Get back to us at:[protected]@OfficeEmail.net

• Ca
      Dec 03, 2010

BEWARE OF THIS SCAM!!!

Hi there,
    The exact same thing has just happened to me. A Mandy LaRose from Baltimore claiming interest in purchasing my bike, this person made a big mistake though and accidentally said that they had transfered $1700 into my pa pal account for this item, when I was only asking $1000. The e-mails were very strange right from the get go with poor grammer and bad broken english. The last e-mail I received was this morning saying that $2650 had been deposited to my paypal account but before this transaction could be approved I would need to go to Western Union to transfer $900 to the shipping company prior to pick up. The remaining $1700 would be for the item and the other $50 for the Western Union processing fee. Luckily as soon as they wanted me to pay this $900 upfront a huge red flag went off...and then I dug a little bit deeper and have now found all of this!

Here are a couple of the e-mails I received from this person:

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 00:58:46 -0800
    > >> Subject: Re: 47cm Tommaso Road Bike For Sale - $1000 (yaletown, downtown,
    > >> vancouver) Date: 2010-11-29, 1:15PM PST Reply to:
    > >> From: [protected]@gmail.com
    > >> To: [protected]@hotmail.com
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> I so much appreciate your response to my earlier mail. I wish to let
    > >> you know that I'm satisfied with the condition.Like I said there's no
    > >> doubt I'm going to purchase it if you are ready to sale it for me.
    > >> Therefore I want you to consider it sold by withdrawing the advert
    > >> from craigslist. Note that you will not be responsible for shipping
    > >> and handling. My shipping company will come to your location for pick
    > >> up. Kindly provide me your name and full address, so i can forward it
    > >> to the shipping company to calculate the cost of pick up for me.I
    > >> would like you to know that the payment will be made via PayPal
    > >> because is fast and secured to send and received money online, All you
    > >> have to send me now is your full address where the item we be pick-up
    > >> and your PayPal email address so that i can proceed with the payment
    > >> immediately.
    > >>
    > >> Hope to hear from you soon.

This is one of their fake paypal e-mails:

My name is Richard Wilson (PayPal agent) holding the transaction between you and Mandy Larose, The money transferred into your PayPal account Has been approved. But we are waiting for you to complete the transaction by sending out the funds to the shipping company agent. Before we can allow the whole fund to show up in your account. So we advice you to send out the total amount of $900 so that the whole $2, 650 can reflect in your account and available for spending. We are doing this in order to reduce the rate of online fraud activities among our customers.

Get back to us with below details.

1) Sender's Name
    2) Sender's Address
    3) MTCN (Transfer Control Number Usually 10digit)
    4) Security Question and Answer

More Over: I will be glad to help you further if you have any question on this transaction just get back to our customer care at Funds.[protected]@OfficeEmail.net we will respond to your request immediately.

Thanks for Using PayPal.
    PayPal Team.

It is so awful that there are people out there doing this kind of stu[censored] Just horrible!

• Rn
      Jan 04, 2011

It is now Jan 4, 2011. Over Christmas, my wife and I received duplicates of all the above emails related to a kitchen table we are selling on Craigslist - From Mandy Larose, from Richard Wilson at PayPal and from world wide speed post. Asked this morning for us to Western Union $250 for shipping to Charles Perkins in Baltimore. PayPal would then release the purchase price plus the $250!! Sheesh! Reported them to PayPal, Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre and local police

• Ti
      Mar 24, 2011

omg just happend to me i got an emial at 2am this morning wats going on here i got the same thing every one else is getting why havent they been stop fbi needs to do something here i mean the put people in jail for a burnt cd they dont track this kind of thing im glad i looked in to this a little more we almost whent thru with it wat got me wondering about it was they didnt have a credicard to send money to pick up company welllll you need one for pay pal wats wrong with our generation now a days is bad enough we are over paing for gas and have to deal with scammmmers also!!! dont fall for this people they are scamers and they must have been making money on this scam cause they are still at it thank for all the comments i look thru it was verry helpfull

• Mt
      Apr 03, 2011

The same has just occurred to us after posting some items for sale on Kijiji and Craig's list. This is the email sent to us from the following emai address: [protected]@paypal.com®" <[protected]@officeEmail.net.
    (This is not the address of Pay Pal, so we were very suspicious.)

"You have received a PayPal Payment of $1, 322.00USD from Rose Mary([protected]@gmail.com)

A temporary hold has been placed on this transaction!

As mentioned in the receipt of Payment and as per New PayPal Payment policy, we have fully debited the total amount (above) from the buyer's account which includes the buyer's Shipper pick up fees.

In order to complete this transaction and get the funds approved in your account. We advice you go to nearest Western Union Office or online www.westernunion.com, and send the $450.00 to the Shipper and send us a Scanned Copy/Photograph of your Western Union Transaction Receipt (in .JPG Format) Or Send Us The Money Transfer Control Number Including Sender Name, Amount Sent to Verify.

NOTE: This is important as a security measure to ensure safety of this transaction. "

These folks are very sneaky and we also plan to alert the authorities about this scam.

• Go
      Sep 01, 2011

I had these people e-mail me 5 times for one listing. The e-mail accounts are as follows, there's four different e-mails, one I got twice.

Rose Mary - [protected]@googlemail.com
    Maria Denisa - [protected]@googlemail.com
    [protected]@googlemail.com (I don't have a name for this one)
    Carrie M - [protected]@yahoo.com

I've also gotten e-mails like these from Mandy LaRose, and Desmond Joe about different stuff if I remember correctly although I don't remember their e-mails.

• Dk
      Jan 21, 2015

Same scam here coming from two different e-mail addresses for a listed item on kijiji:
    [protected]@hotmail.com and the m.[protected]@[protected]@googlemail.com

I'm okay with the price and condition of the item and i'm ready to
    purchase it, kindly get back to me with the pick up address and your
    paypal email for the payment, i will be arranging the pick up myself
    through my shipping company.

• Pi
      Jan 26, 2015

2015 and the same scam is still going. Just got this from a Kijiji ad I posted:

First e-mail was from [protected]@hotmail.com

Then a follow up from Maria Denisa

I'm okay with the price and condition of the item and i'm ready to
    purchase it, kindly get back to me with the pick up address and your
    paypal email for the payment, i will be arranging the pick up myself
    through my shipping company.