World Moving Services / Fraud and scam

United States Review updated:

I used World Moving Services for a move from Florida to New York and they hit me with so many hidden fees, I am still paying for it. What they do is provide you what they say is an ALL INCLUSIVE 'NOT TO EXCEED' Estimate and then 5 days before you are picked up, they have their Quality Assurance department call you. That gives them an opportunity to charge you double the price for adding any boxes, extra pieces, or additional packing services. The minute you have ANY changes at all, thats when they hit you. Since they have a 5 day cancellation policy, if you get mad at the price, they get mad right back at you and then you can't even cancel your original service because you are within the window. Thats how they get you. By then, you are so close to the move that you are stuck using them or you lose your deposit. Since they are a 3rd party, they are keeping 75% of that cost and the actual moving company never see's a cent. The driver I had actually told me that they were a scam and thats the company that he gets business from.

My suggestion is to NOT trust the Better Business Bureau, and to NOT make any changes with the Quality Assurance department if you are unlucky enough to already have hired them. Not to mention that they have several other company's that they own under different names(Nationwide Relocation, WeHaul, American Van Lines, etc) and thats how they are able to get you too. If 5 company's that they own all contact you to provide quotes, then the chances that you use one of them are going to be about 80%. Please be careful, I don't want anyone to end up like I did.
Va

Comments

Me
  11th of Dec, 2008

Ho
  27th of Feb, 2009
Just want this complainant to feel validated. I moved from Minnesota to Florida and did the whole BBB article, reading about how great they were. Well, the minute they got my deposit, everything changed. They didn't have a carrier for me on move day, the lied about who was going to pack me out, and showed up minutes before the deadline to DEPART to START the packing process. It was a night mare for me and my family.

To make matters worse, once my things arrived, most of my photo frame glass was broken, many heirlooms were broken, a hand made lamp was broken. After filing my claim, I've been told the carrier Country Wide is now out of business. Huh, surprise, surprise.

Don't trust World Wide Moving Services!!!
Up
  18th of Aug, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
We had a horrible experience dealing with World Moving Services of Pompano Beach Fl.
The agent promised us a delivery date even after we questioned him about the dates listed on the contract. He insisted that our move would happen on the date that we requested despite what the contract read. When it did not he avoided answering our calls and emails.

When we called customer service they would put us on hold act as though they were going to transfer us to the agent or a supervisor and somehow we were always disconnected. We had to use different phones to call and would get an immediate response from the same agent thinking that he was responding to a new customer for potential business. In the end the agent from World Moving Services blamed everything on the carrier.

After our belongings were finally delivered to us, three days after the promised date. We filed a complaint with customer service and were told about the agreement of the contract despite what agent promised.
This company was deceptive, dishonest and lacked integrity in honoring the promises made by their agent.
We lost three days of wages not to mention damaged belongings by the carrier. I would not recommend anyone using this company.
Wa
  31st of Jan, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I had the same exact experience. I'd like to add that they lie and will say anything to make you agree to paying twice or three times as much. Peter Marc had the nerve to say that American Van Lines is one of the best moving services out there even though they are rated at D on BBB.org and that World Moving Services (a BBB.org rating of C- ) is #1 ahead of Mayflower. What a joke.

The semi truck that came was an ALLIED movers truck (but used by American Van Lines??? I later found similar bizarre stories online that said some of these trucks have been impounded by police b/c they are stolen) driven by three guys who did not speak english. Only one spoke broken english and told me at one point that he hasn't seen his family in 6 months and has been on the road day in and day out.

MY RECOMMENDATION AS WELL.. DON'T TAKE THEIR ADVICE BY RAISING THE ESTIMATE!! DON'T USE THEM, HIRE SOMEONE ELSE AND DO WHATEVER YOU CAN TO GET THAT DEPOSIT BACK. MAKE OFFICIAL COMPLAINT TO ATTORNEY GENERAL OF FLORIDA ONLINE AND BBB.ORG.
Cj
  12th of Feb, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I only wished I had read all the complaints about this company PRIOR to using them!!! Ughhhh!! Now I'm also dealing with no returned calls, being disconnected, ignored, blamed... I feel like I've been raped!!
Mo
  18th of Mar, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
These guys are TERRIBLE. TERRIBLE. I wish we had been more proactive in viewing this information prior to the move as well. I can't even begin to explain how they have flat out lied and cheated us out of money - time - and SEVENTEEN of our boxes are missing and they're not doing anything about it. Nothing. They keep saying that everything is OUR fault. I am beyond depressed and now missing items - and am dealing with a company who sub contracts to sub standard moving companies who will flat out LIE to you about every last bit. They denied us the right to be there when our stuff was weighed; told us it was overweight and charged us for it up front -- denied us the right to be there for the reweigh which showed that they were WRONG on the first weigh - and now are telling us they won't refund our money. World Moving Services washes their hands of this since they sub contracted it out to other movers - movers who SHOWED UP AND ASKED US TO HELP THEM LOAD THE TRUCK. UNREAL. Then couldn't fit all of our stuff INTO IT. We are out thousands of dollars that I fear we'll never see again, and missing some really important stuff I also fear we'll never see again. And I am here to tell you - - they could care less because they have their money.
Sa
  22nd of Mar, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
Wolrd moving services is a big scam. They are a big liar. I took an estimate from them and for this they aksed me to give them credit card number. I mistakenly give to them. They said it is only for reservation and I can cancel reservation within five days. Once I gave them my credit card they immediately cahrged me deposit. In the same time they sent me an agreement to sign the papers. Just after one hour I called them and said I want to cancel my reservation I am hiring some another movers.They started geeting mad at me and said we will not give your deposit back. Thye charged me deposit without providing me any services.I am helpless. I have called the same agent (Eric) hundred times but he never bothered to reply me back and refunded my money.Please be careful with these peoples. These peoples are looting innocent citizens.
Now I have lost my money and never got any services :(
Ac
  22nd of Apr, 2010
100% Agree.
Despite my repeated attempts for refund of the services I wanted to cancel, leave message and faxed them, they did not refund over $1000.00. Person Responsible in part for the cheating is Jay Raffe.
ACO
Ro
  28th of Apr, 2010
4/27/2010 Agree. I contacted World Movers to move furniture from TN to NC. Spent a great deal of upfront time with me on the phone and was one of the higher bids. Communications after the contact was awful. Promised notification calls of 48, 24, 3 hours prior to arrival were never placed. I called 6 times over 3 days asking when the movers were going to show up and never got a returned call even once. The movers showed up when no one was at the house and promptly left (leaving a note behind). Rescheduled for two days later; same process. I was to receive a call when on the day they were going to show up; never called; just appeared. Now awaiting delivery and am afraid will experience the same; no call. I have moved 6 times over my career, this is simply the worse experience by far.
Dm
  22nd of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am right in the middle of a move from Colorado to Florida with World Moving Services and they are charging me double the amount for my move and I do not even have the money for this extranomical amount. They first told me it would be $2000 and now they are charging for other services and extra lbs so it is turning out to be $4000. My Sales Rep extremely under bidded the estimate so she could get the job. I have been trying to call her back to discuss this and her phone line goes automatically to a music loop and she never picks up. I also left messages for a manager to call me back about this and they do not call back. I am totally stuck and not sure if they are going to keep my furniture!! I am so sick to my stomach about this!!! First of all they did not arrive for an hour past thier window time to pick up my furniture. Also, they took my stuff in 3 different trucks for a small 2 bedroom home. All the trucks they brought over were already 3/4 full with other's furniture. The second truck driver was trying to strap the remaining items to back of truck which one item was my heavy treadmill!! I said no to that and third truck came next day. Don't make youself sick and please do not use them!!
Jo
  21st of Jan, 2011

World Moving Services - SCAM - stay away
World Moving Services

Absolutely awful…… I like everyone else gave the $700 deposit!! UGH after that I started getting calls from all these other moving companies. And one which I thought was someone from WORLD MOVING SERVICES… but wasnt. Explained who they actually were - broker, jack rates up after the fact… etc, so he saved me.. in a way. My problem was I had already agreed and my move was immediate.. so based on their crap*ss paperwork, I had no chance to cancel without losing my deposit!!! Tried explaining to my CC company that they are STEALING money from me and other people. So in the end they are just THEIVES!!! Stay AWAY far far away… And if PETER MANFREDI calls you. HANG UP!
Mr
  22nd of Mar, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I only wish I read this before they screwed me!!! They should not be able to do this to hard working tax paying americans!!!
Ta
  4th of Jul, 2011

World Moving Services - I think they delay moving until you cant switch companies, and then add extra charges
World Moving Services

I wondered why WORLD MOVING SERVICES delayed so long. I believe it was on purpose. My move was from the Houston area, to the Salt Lake City area. The window date to pick-up my goods was Oct 29, 2008. Nobody came to pickup my items, even three days later. I think they delay moving until you cant switch companies, and then add extra charges, and either won't release your belongings or wont help you, until you pay up front. A bunch of bogus stuff is hidden in the fine print. They also lied to me and claimed they had an office in Houston. They are based only in Florida. The actual account manager Mario Glenn, wont return my calls or emails. They wanted $845, deposit on credit and the balance in a certified money order. This way you cant get your money back easily. I contacted my Credit Card company and will call the Texas or Florida Attorney General or both. I am going to move everything into storage and come up to Evanston with just clothes, buy a cheap mattress somewhere, and have the movers ship my stuff later.
Lw
  30th of Nov, 2011

World Moving Services - professionaly fraudulent
Florida

World Moving cost us about $1, 000 more than quoted and contracted our Chicago to Washington move to an extremely sloppy and unprofessional outfit called Able Moving, based in Chicago, that lost a box of valuable household items and severely damaged several pieces of furniture. World Moving charged us "shuttle fees" at our origin and destination, despite prior notice that shuttles were not required by law at either location, were not needed for the move, and not in fact used.

After mind-bogglingly shady failures to return calls, hang-ups, and giving us non-existent callback numbers, World finally responded when we disputed their charges with our bank. Representatives from World Moving merely cited a “lack of proper permit” for a full-sized truck in vague generality, despite my repeated inquiries as to what parking or other permits were lacking. World Moving representatives’ assertion that “county permits” were needed is laughably erroneous and demonstrates their willingness to mindlessly obfuscate a fair resolution of the issue without any basis in reality, because Washington, DC is not in ANY state or county and that Cook County, Illinois has absolutely NO jurisdiction over traffic or parking laws within the corporate limits of Chicago.

We had at least 75 feet of curb space reserved and cleared at each location, and know for a fact that roads leading to each location from the appropriate nearby interstates had no truck restrictions. 53' moving trucks in fact regularly service each building. The Able driver admitted to us that they used their regular line, Illinois-licensed truck to move our property all the way from Chicago to our building, along with another customer's goods. In charging a shuttle fee where a shuttle was neither needed, required, nor actually used, World and Able violated FMCSA regulations. World's fraudulent actions also put them in violation of a host of state laws.

Hopefully the detail provided here evidences that my horrific experiences with World, consistent with the others on this site, are legitimate. Do yourself a favor and look elsewhere.