World Camera / So badly

World Camera
My husband and I were visiting Fisherman's Wharf and we stopped in World Camera, Inc. for filters for my camera. I had a nice older digital 35 mm. Canon but had no extras for it, nor knew current prices and gadgets available. I thought a camera store would have knowledge and expertise available and I was willing to pay extra for it. Unfortunately I got sold junk for 5x the value and most all was even wrong for my camera. I am so embarrassed and feel so violated. Of course they have a policy of no return and they won't return my call...refused the return package.

I went to a camera store near home and was told that the 1500.00 equipment was maybe worth 200 or 300.00. I don't know what to do but don't go in that store...do they move around? I can't believe that I am the only one who has been ripped off. And so badly!

A  20th of Feb, 2009 by
I too was ripped off by World Camera Inc in Frisco in 2000 under the same tactics. Learned big time by this mistake.

Are they still in business?
I purchased a Fuji digital which was O.K. but paid far too much fro the product.

They also sold a Crystal Vision wide angle lens to me that I could never use!

My advice is steer away from this shop if they still trade
N  12th of Mar, 2009 by
Me too! Almost the same date.

Hi Jane.

The day after you, Jan 22, 2009, I went into the same shop, World Camera Inc, 101 Jefferson Street, to buy a battery for my little camera. Using a mix of lies, false information, pretense, and down-right low and lousy sales-techniques, the guy there talked me into buying a lense for my larger camera, as well as UV-filters, at altogether almost double their value.

I went back 2 days in a row, complaining that it was not a fair deal because lies and deceit were involved, so they had to take the stuff back. No such luck, but with much effort I managed to get 200 dollars and a false receipt back - to equivel about one-third of the amount I felt I had been ripped off for.

Everyone should be warned: WORLD CAMERA, INC., 101 Jefferson St., Fisherman's Wharf - DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THERE.

I am looking into launching an official complaint with the SF Tourism Board and also the Federal Trade Commission.

Good luck,

Morten mortenmojo@hotmail.com
N  20th of May, 2011 by
I, too, am ripped off in that same street but another shop called Digital Photo and Video Center. I am still in the process of filing a complaint. I don't live in SF and had to deal with it from a distance. The owner was rude and claims no responsibility for error in billing when I called . I asked for a discount, they pretended to give it and gave me a receipt. I was in a hurry to leave since I have an aquarium to see that I already paid for and a dinner in an hour at Palo Alto. When I got back to the hotel the price in the receipt was above what we agreed. They were fast in pulling it off my credit card. Yes, it sucks to know they ripped off a lot of people. I filed a complaint at Better Business Bureau and it will lead you to through the steps. California law Article 1723, we have the right to return an item within 30 days and they have to return the money within seven days provided you return the item in its original condition. Check the receipt if it is official and if it is something made from a scammy printing press without sequence in nos. It says no return no exchange in the receipt but that holds nothing. The only items we cannot return is food, underwear, swimwear. If you are a victim and the 30 days are not over try this. I am waiting to see what transpires.