Woolworths Australiaservice desk employer

Hi my name is Wayne and I am 34 years of age. On the 5/8/2018 I was refused service when for having to much change when purchasing a packet if cigarettes. Here is the scenario, I walked to the counter at Woolworths Gosford at around 4:30pm the attended was a woman She said can I help you, I replied yes I would like a packet of jps 20s blue please, She then got the cigarettes as I was getting my money out, I had a $5 note and mostly 50 and 20 cent pieces adding up to $20 in total, then I said sorry for the change, She replied we can't accept that, I said why is that, She then said there is to much change there we just can't accept that, then I said what do you mean, she then said we can't take it and it's getting to late then walked off. Woolworths closed 8pm that night. You shouldn't be refused a purchase for having to much change.

Wm
Aug 05, 2018

Comments

• Em
      Aug 18, 2018

Hi Wayne,

I believe it's actually illegal in Australia for cashiers to accept smaller coins over a certain amount, particularly with 20c and 50c coins.

"not exceeding $5 if any combination of 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins are offered"

"According to the Currency Act 1965 (section 16) "

Regards