Woods Industries - Canada / Poor service!

1 Canada Review updated:

I purchased a surge protector for my TV sets years ago, believing that their product has a lifetime warranty up to $10,000 - $25,000. Last week, due to the storm, my TV blew out & the surge protector even gave a burnt mark on the floor. I called the company on how to claim the warranty & they told me to sent the product for inspection. So, I sent it together with some pictures of my burnt floor & the TV sets. After a few days, they called me asking for the original receipt in order for the claim of the warranty. I explained that it has been years ago & I don't have the receipt anymore. When I asked what happens if the product was a gift, she answered that the warranty only cover for the original purchaser. She said that I cannot received my claim without the original receipt. Even if the product is a lifetime warranty, 50 yrs down the road & you claim for the warrant, they will ask for the original receipt. Without it you cannot receive your claim. Who would keep a receipt that long? Even company or personal file only need to be kept for 7 yrs. Not only that, I lost some money to send that product for inspection in the first place. If they had told me in advance that I will need to produce the original receipt for them, then I would not send that product because I don't have the original receipt anymore. I don't see the connection between the claim that their product is so good that will last a lifetime (that's why they give a lifetime warranty) with original receipt? After all, even some receipt are fading fast & you won't be able to see the print. I found that this company is not keeping their word. I got burnt twice here for purchasing the product & sending it for nothing. They are just trying to get away with the claim by using the receipt tactics, knowing that people don't keep their receipt, especially for a long time.

Comments

• Er
      6th of Aug, 2008

I just tried to put in a claim (8/6/2008). Thunderstorm blew my big screen TV and home theater system even though plugged into their "quality" surge protector with lifetime warranty. They asked me to send 1. surge protector (my only evidence) 2. letter 3. Written estimate from a qualified repair shop as to the cost of repair (do any still exist) AND...4. the ordiginal receipt. I told the guy...This is how you avoid paying any claims isn't it? He actually laughed and agreed and said well that's really Matt's department. I said he must have the easiest job in the country denying claims all day. He laughed and said I guess so.

The letter = No problem. Sending the protector = OK I feel the estimate which would determine how much they pay on their "warranty" is their responsibility. The original receipt!! Are you kidding me? The thing is only about 6-9 months old..out of the package and into the wall. Would their test on the surge protector give them evidence of the failure? Nothing but another scam. Has anyone actually had them pay a claim?

19th of Aug, 2008

I just called them today regarding a computer I lost. After reading your comments, and speaking to someone at the company (it sounded like she didn't know what she was doing) I am a bit concerned. So I put a message into Matt Morrison who handles all the claims, hopefully he can help me out with the issue. I sure dont want to pay to have it mailed to them and get nothing for it. I will follow up with a response when I hear back from them.