Woodforest National Bank / Excessive od charges

1 Humble, TX, United States Review updated:

We were hit by Hurricane Ike on 9/13/08, as a result of this diaster, we are without power for 14 days now. The devastation has caused a major financial strain on us causing us having to use the funds we had to survive. Obviously, this dug into the already committed obligations pending in our account. We have had to spend anywhere from 30-60 dollars a day to maintain a generator going so that we can feed our 2 small children. Most of all banks as posted in the Houston Chronicle have waived fees to give some relief to their customers. However, Woodforest National Bank has allowed all kinds of ATM/Debit Card charges to be approved, knowingly that the funds were not truly available so that they can charge $32.00 a pop for each transaction. Imagine being without power where I normally am able to do online banking to monitor the account is now gone... this bank kept authorizing charges and I am geing hit with 12 OD Charges at $32.00 each totaling $384.00 in the negative. I am the sole provider, my husband is disabled and I have 2 small children who are affected by this hardship. I feel that this bank took advantage of victims after a major natural diaster. I will forward this to their corporate office and although I may not get my account credited, I want as many people to know that WOODFOREST NATIONAL BANK ARE THEIFS.

An

Comments

• Ta
      3rd of Oct, 2008

You admited that you were taking money from the bank when you didnt have any, the theif is you. Now the smart thing would have been to w/d the money that your overdraft limit would have let you and ONE amount so that way you only get ONE overdraft fee instead of 12. My teller advise me to do that now they were open for you to make that withdraw and they did help people with fees. Oh and another thing the bank is not responsible for balancing your check book thats your their job is to provide an institution to allow you to make transaction and which they did...hence the gas you were able to purchase.

7th of Oct, 2008

I'm sorry about your personal problems. However, you must be one of those people who think that because you have checks in your checkbook, you can continue to write checks. You are at fault. As a matter of fact, you violated the law by continuing to take money that wasn't yours.

• He
      17th of Oct, 2008

Sorry lady. YOU wrote out checks -had debit card transactions pending- and THEN used the money during the FLOAT time... REGARDLESS of the circumstances; it's YOUR responsibility. YOURS. Hardships hit EVERYONE, I have lost my power MANY TIMES. I have been snowed in. Snowed in without food, any comfort -any luxuries OR even water to shower: I dealt with it. Does anyone, ANYONE, the bank 0r my neighbor taxpayer OWE ME? Um, NO. I am an ADULT. I make my own way. You blew your freakin' money, however you justified it and did it, you used money already committed. Not to mention the hurricane warnings are plentiful: You also knew that it was on the way and you COULD have left the area. Sorry lady: You scammed and YOU lost.

• Ba
      17th of Nov, 2008

As others have stated YOU messed up. ATM withdrawals are made by you...same as Debit card items. Did YOU go to the bank and ask for help with the charges? Did YOU stop using your ATM/Debit card? Most banks will work with a person, but ONLY if that person goes in and talks to someone so an agreement can be reached.

• Pe
      21st of Nov, 2008

Woodforest is a very good bank. Its already been pointed out by others that you wrote checks when you knew funds were unavailable in your accout. Expecting the fees to bewaived is tantamount to expecting the bank to give you an interest free loan withoutapplying for a loan. You are a victim of your own misdeeds. An if you can afford a generator and $30-60.00 a day to run it, you can afford to feed your kids.

• Sh
      26th of Jan, 2009

I agree that you are the thief, and I am surprised that you haven't been arrested for theft and fraud. You took the money and should be made to pay for it. Just because checks have not cleared does not mean the money you took was ok. When those checks cleared, and you didn't have any money in your account, you will get busted twice, from the business you wrote the check to, but also from the bank again. You are not the sole supporter if your husband is getting social security, if he is not getting it, that means he is capable of doing work. Think before you leap, if you cannot balance your checkbook, then you should get help. No sympathy here. Don't blame the bank for your mistakes.

7th of Oct, 2010

This person is not a thief. According to the terms offered by the bank, the customer can simply pay an overdraft fee to overdraw their account. Banks do this as a way of making a sizeable amount of money and no bank is going to eliminate this benefit. If it were theft, this person would have been charged already.

Because banks make so much money from overdrafts, the federal government passed legislation requiring banks to obtain written authorization from customers before they can offer their fee-based overdraft services. It's now the law that you have to approve this account "feature". One of my bank accounts has sent me 4 letters asking me to authorize overdraft and even suggested not having that "protection" could leave me stranded. I opted not to do overdraft, because lets face it, $30+ is a lot of money to pay because I might not keep records.

I will add that a friend's kid had almost 30 overdrafts on his account in one month. His foolishness cost him $1050 - seriously, do you think a bank would walk away from that kind of money for processing a few charges for a soda and chips, a tank of gas, or whatever. The bank in this scenario was happy to collect, was clear the account needed to be brought current, and made better money that they would have made from an investment of the same amounts as the overdrawn charges.

So - that said, Banks are not your friend - don't ever believe that. They take you money, they make money from your money, and while they offer a safe place for you to keep your money, in the case of Woodforest, some are paying a monthly fee for the service - not something a friend would do, absolutely not a friend. Overdraft may have saved this woman and her family when they needed it most, but Woodforest, they were only too happy to make money from her pain and suffering, and no Vice President is going to take away this anguish. FYI.. Humble Texas, put some money back for a rainy day (or a disaster), and next time, don't count on overdrafts to pay the way. You knew when you made the charges that Woodforest was going to stick it to you and you accepted every time you used your card.