Windstream / lifeline phone and broadband bundle

13400 nw 140th st apt 2102Alachua, FL, United States Review updated:
4.15
I was already receiving lifeline link up phone service from Windstream for $5.60 a month. I called to see if they had a Lifeline link up program for broadband and the customer service told me "yes they do". I could get three months free internet to see if I liked it. The total for my phone service and internet was to be $33.00. So I jumped on the bandwagon and thought that was a great deal. So six weeks into the billing cycle they send me a bill for over $100. The hookup was supposed to be free. The modem was $112. with a six month installment plan. And the first three months free. When I called to inquire about the bill they informed me that there was no such program and they don't know why I was told there was. I had written everything down and thoroughly understood what the lady was telling me. I spoke with supervisors and their supervisors to no avail. Everything they told me was an out and out lie and I would like to know who do I turn to when I can't get satisfaction from Windstream customer service?
Ge

Comments

Co
  8th of Nov, 2008
You can always turn to a baseball bat. I know your feeling. They are a "big" company of crap. We had a dropped connection and they told us it dropped 13 times in one week. We couldn't connect to the internet at all so we called them and they were goin to send a guy. Then I figured out it was Norton 360's firewall messing up and blocking everything instead of what it was supposed to do. So we called them and we told them we still wanted them to com and look into the dropped connections, but they said we had no problems. So all they did was send us a new modem. We already had two and they both dropped connections, so we know it wasn't the modem. We proved it wasn't the modem because I happened to pf connected the new one and it still reset itself. I hate there service, but the only other alternative is $130 +, and that is satellite internet.
I also don't get my full speed eigther. I peek at 150 kbs. Suppose to get 1.5 mbps and I could really use that speed. They are worse than Microsoft with Vista. They shovel the crap by the ton.
R1
  17th of Jun, 2009
Alot of times customers do get taken advantage of, and it is a sad thing, but alot of time it is not fully understanding what the need of the customer is, and how they will be using it and what is intended. The lifeline is for phone service, it is not a program given by the utility (phone company) but paid for by the government agency overseeing it. Perhaps you did get a person not very knowledgeable or who was not fully understanding the need.
As far as the internet connection and phone line dropping, this might be a line issue. Unfortuneately Windstream inherited lines left by former companies in the area of your service, and sometimes those lines are underground, get wet or are on poles that need servicing, and unfortuneatly it does take alot of customer complaints in the service area to get them to move on it, they do have to spend millions to fix certain pockets, which might only service 2 or 3 people, and those areas wont' take precidence over larger areas...similar to getting power cut on after a major storm...larger areas take precidence. And today with so many others competing for public utilities like the phone company, service areas are seemingly actually smaller than they might appear.

Windstream Communications Logo Windstream Communications