Windsor at Arbors / excessive hidden charges

1 5250 Duke Street Alexandria, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: (866) 763-1119

I have two complaints about this place. Excessive fees and infestation.

I was a resident of this complex for almost a year. I decided to upgrade from a one bedroom apartment to a two bedroom in the same complex instead of renewing the lease on the one bedroom. I was repeatedly verbally assured by the management staff that the only fee I needed to pay was a $500 transfer fee. It turned out not to be the case. As soon as I moved in to the new apartment, I was charged $250 for the cleaning done in the old apartment - a charge that could have been easily avoided if the management had informed me and given me the choice whether I want to clean it on my own or incur the charge for the cleaning process. The part that really gets me is that they charge new resident a move in fee for getting the apartment clean in addition to the rent and security deposit. I call that double dipping.

The $250 fine includes 2 bended blinds, a frayed carpet corner, an easily cleanable stain on the toilet seat, and dirty stove drip pans. The former two problems were caused by my cats, but the management still charges me for them even though I had already paid a $300 nonrefundable pet fee and a $30 per month cat rent.

I have lived in many apartments since college, but I am such a neat freak that I have never been charged for damage or cleaning to any apartment before this. The management at Windsor at Arbors obviously has a very different definition of what consists of normal wear and tear, compared to every other landlord I have encountered in the past. If I had known that the management was going to charge me for what most people consider as normal wear and tear, I would not have moved to a new apartment. I was misinformed by the staff and it effected my decision to transfer.

The windowsill in the old, one bedroom apartment on the first floor was infested with termites. This was never resolved and I know the termites will come out again when the weather gets warmer. The two bedroom apartment which I recently transferred into is not infested with termites since it is on the third floor, but it does have a cockroach problem. Both apartments in the same complex have some kind of infestation problem. I have a 6 month old baby just starting to crawl who likes to put everything in his mouth. I am dreading the safety of this place if they decide to fumigate.

Em

Comments

Ho
  23rd of Apr, 2009

Stupid complaints. Very good place to live. If you have fecal material on the toilet seat and are generally a pig, why would you not expect to be charged. This is a complex for a higher class renter, if it costs too much...move out, there are many options around the area that cater to dirty poor people.

Am
  7th of Jul, 2010

I agree they have lots of charges, but perhaps its normal for the area. The apartment is not too shabby, but only someone who has never lived in anything nice would pretend that this is a complex for higher class renters. This is a mediocre apartment geared toward medium income households. This point is moot anyways, the bottom line is they should be more upfront with costs.