Williams Fuel Service / Owner was very rude and condescending, intolerant and impatient.

The owner of Williams' Fuel Service in Hatfield, PA did not treat me with the respect and kindness that I expect to have with someone with whom I'm doing business. I made a mistake that led to a credit card decline which should have been handled easily and quickly with courtesy and respect. I was happy to correct my mistake within 24 hours with a new credit card. However, Bill raised his voice to me, spoke condescendingly, and hung up on me twice.

This came as a surprise to me since I had paid him $1000-$1500 in the past couple of months. You'd think he'd be grateful, instead he treated me like a deadbeat who had been avoiding him for years.

I would not recommend this company for your heating needs. There are far too many companies in our area that are happy to treat their customers well.

Ma

Comments

• Wi
      17th of May, 2010

I am the owner of Williams Fuel Service Inc. I am not here to do anything but to say say that we have built a business on a reputation of mutual trust and respect for our customers. When we call our customers to inform them of credit card problems, returned checks etc., we are sensitive to the economic times that we live in. We called three customers that day about their credit cards that were declined. We only had a problem with one customer. No one at any time screamed at any one. We do not do that. The customer did call us for oil twice and needed to be put on auto delivery because they ran out. We did, after explaining our services and how the billing worked. We did exactly as the customer requested. When we called about the credit card being declined, the customer started repeatedly saying that she never asked for auto delivery. That is the point were mutual trust stopped. We did get paid, the customer got the oil they required and asked for, and yes we terminated our services to this customer.

The fact is, she has used a false name on this report. If you know what you are saying is the truth, you do not need to hide behind a lie. And yes, we will protect our reputation. It is part of the value of our business. And yes we will use legal means to do so. The customer has every right to contact the BBB and we suport them in trying to keep all businesses on the right track. We have, as yet, to recieve anything from the BBB. They will only contact us with legitamate inquiries.

Please feel free to contact me personally with thoughts, concerns, or any fuel oil or heating needs you may have. Our number is 215-393-3070.

Sincerely

William Rech

President and Owner

Williams Fuel Service Inc

• Ka
      30th of Jun, 2010

I am happy to respond to the owner. I am the original author of the complaint, although I did not place the complaint on this site.

Apparently, "Max" may have copied my complaint from another site and placed it here. Sites like this often claim interesting posts from other sites and post them on their own to get the Google hits to up their business. If that's what "Max" has done, then I'm grateful and have no problem with it at all. I hope my complaint about this company continues to get passed around the internet for years. Thank you "Max, " for the exposure.

Now that I've been able to register and address this issue, I'm happy to respond to the owner as the author of this complaint. Before I do, I would like to include the other version of my original complaint. I have two versions, one is the shorter version you've read above for sites that allow fewer characters, and the other is below. Bill, the owner, has replied to this version on other sites as well.

February 17, 2010

We moved into a new home and needed to acquire heating oil. I phoned many companies and received a variety of information regarding the way the process works. Admittedly, at the time, I was most focused on the price and level of customer service.

The company that stood out most for me was Williams' Fuel Services. We were in need of oil immediately, and the owner, Bill, came out that evening personally and filled our tank. We were impressed with his level of service, cooperation and willing to help us in an emergency.

We continued as customers for a couple of months and needed another filling of oil. I phoned William's and spoke with Rob. I asked to be placed on automatic delivery, and I'm sure he fully explained the details of how it worked with his company. However, I realized yesterday that I had not fully understood and had since forgotten some of the details.

After that telephone conversation with Rob, our tank was filled completely. We assumed it would last throughout the winter and would not need another filling soon. However, Williams' arrived yesterday, a month later, to do their automatic filling and left a bill for $465.00.

Upon arriving home that evening, I quickly realized I'd misunderstood the process of their company and was concerned that the current credit card they had on file may not accept such a large payment since it was near its monthly limit. Before I had a chance to call Williams', I received a call from the owner, Bill.

I answered and was immediately met with hostility. He asked for me, and when I acknowledged that it was me on the line, he answered my "How are you?" with an angry, "Not Good! Your credit card was declined!"

I was shocked, not at the fact that my card was declined, as I feared it would be, but at the immediate angry tone coming from a person who seemed so gentle and polite when he was in my home. I had to ask, "Is this the owner? The person who came to my home and made a delivery when we signed up?" "Yes, " he replied, "and I need another credit card to pay for today's delivery, " again in a hostile tone.

I sincerely apologized for the mistake and my apology was met with, "Well, YOU called and asked for automatic delivery!" At this point, Bill's voice was raised, to the point, in my opinion, that he was yelling at me. I was confused as to why he didn't simply accept my apology and quietly move on to remedy the situation. He continued to yell and repeat the sentence, "YOU called and asked for automatic delivery!" over and over again.

I tried to acknowledge that yes, I had requested it, but I realized now I didn't totally understand it. However, Bill just kept repeating the same thing over and over, louder and louder. In a situation like this, if I were a business owner, I would realize that the customer, especially a new customer, could potentially be embarrassed about both the confusion and the credit card decline.

I would offer kindness, grace and understanding and say, "It's no problem. Mistakes happen, all we need is a new credit card number, and I'll be happy to go over the details of automatic delivery with you again so there's no confusion in the future."

I explained I would be happy to pay, but just needed to wait until my boyfriend arrived home so that we could discuss which credit card to use. Bill replied with a harsh and loud, "CAN'T YOU CALL HIM AND SEE IF HE HAS A CREDIT CARD YOU CAN USE?"

I explained that it wasn't about "seeing if he had a credit card I could use, " but it was about discussing together what form of payment would work best for us financially since the invoice was a surprise. Bill said he was leaving in "two or three minutes, " and I said, "Then I'll have to give you the new card tomorrow." "THEN I'LL EXPECT YOUR CALL TOMORROW, " he said very loudly and hung up on me.

I was very upset and felt that I had just been spoken to as though I was someone who owed this man money for several months and he had finally been able to catch up to them. This was confusing given the fact that we had paid him $1000-$1500 for his service within the past two months. I was not treated like a valued customer, but like a deadbeat being pursued by a collection agency, in my opinion.

I called my boyfriend who was at work and explained what had happened. My boyfriend phoned Bill and inquired about the conversation. Bill completely denied he had raised his voice or had been rude with me.

The next day, I phoned Williams' Fuel Service to fulfill my promise of calling back with a new card. I wanted to speak to Bill directly to allow him the opportunity to apologize to me for how he had spoken to me the day before. He was not in, and I left a message for him to return my call.

A few hours later, Bill called and offered a very polite, "Hello, how are you?" in a cheerful tone. I was optimistic that perhaps he had considered his actions and would try to make amends. I was polite in return and offered the new credit card number. He said he would run it, then call me back to let me know everything went through, which he did.

When he called back, he said, "Everything went through fine, now, would you like to be removed from automatic delivery so this doesn't happen again?" I replied, "Well, first, I'd like to say once more that I'm sorry for the confusion and the mistake."

This was a sincere apology and my optimistic attempt at moving forward positively. I had hoped that Bill felt the same and would volunteer an apology for his poor customer service as well. He didn't.

"That's ok, " was his reply to my apology, and went directly back to, "Now, do you want to be removed from automatic delivery?" I paused, then said, "Actually, I want to be removed as a customer altogether because that was your opportunity to apologize to me for how you spoke to me yesterday, and you didn't take it."

Bill raised his voice so loudly that I could not understand the words that he was saying. I let him yell at me for a few seconds and then I said, "I cannot believe you don't have the foresight to understand that refusing to offer a deserved apology will cost you a customer." He continued with the raised voice, again, impossible to understand, and he hung up on me.

I immediately phoned back and Bill did not answer. Rob answered and I asked him to pass a message along to Bill. I explained that I would be contacting the BBB, as well as a variety of customer opinion websites to inform other potential customers of the treatment I had received. He replied to me to "be careful, because that can be illegal."

In my opinion, that was a threat. I explained to him that I am educated enough to know I am free to offer my opinion about their level of service to anyone who would like to read it. I understand the law regarding libel and my complaint is not intended to represent any statement of fact that this company did not provide the product they advertise. My complaint is to offer my opinion that the owner of this business handled a situation in such a horrible manner, he cost himself a customer. I have the right and privilege to share this opinion with any other current or potential customers as well.

If we need to get legally technical, I suppose they didn't actually provide the service they advertise as their website currently boasts, "We LOVE our customers!!!" The three exclamation points certainly denote their commitment to communicating the love they supposedly have for their customers.

However, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines love as "warm attachment, enthusiasm, devotion." Bill did not demonstrate a warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion to me, so I suppose if we're really being factual, he did fail to provide the service he advertises.

My desired outcome is that I wish to receive a sincere apology from the owner, Bill, along with a commitment from him to try not to give other customers the same treatment he gave to me when they make a mistake.

• Ka
      30th of Jun, 2010

Now that I've been able to register and provide the original version of my complaint, I'm happy to respond to the owner.

"I am the owner of Williams Fuel Service Inc. I am not here to do anything but to say say that we have built a business on a reputation of mutual trust and respect for our customers. When we call our customers to inform them of credit card problems, returned checks etc., we are sensitive to the economic times that we live in. We called three customers that day about their credit cards that were declined. We only had a problem with one customer."

-I am not here to speak for the other customers in your business. I am here to speak for my experience with you. And our readers will have to wonder why you would take so much time to author a lengthy reply without an apology. You've only reiterated my point.

"No one at any time screamed at any one. We do not do that."

-No one accused anyone of "screaming" at anyone. I would like to ask that you please read my words before replying so your reply will stay on point. In my opinion, you raised your voice, and you yelled at me, several times. You never screamed, but you did yell loudly and there is a difference.

"The customer did call us for oil twice and needed to be put on auto delivery because they ran out. We did, after explaining our services and how the billing worked. We did exactly as the customer requested."

-Once again, you're demonstrating a failure to read completely my complaint rather than trying to see another person’s perception with an open mind. I said, “He continued to yell and repeat the sentence, ‘YOU called and asked for automatic delivery!’ over and over again. I tried to acknowledge that yes, I had requested it, but I realized now I didn't totally understand it.”

“When we called about the credit card being declined, the customer started repeatedly saying that she never asked for auto delivery.”

-This is an absolute lie. I am shocked that you are going to the depths of dishonesty to defend your position. You have just shown to our readers what you are capable of. I am happy not to be your customer any longer as I only wish to do business with those who are honest and who do not resort to lies to defend their bad behaviors.

“That is the point were mutual trust stopped. We did get paid, the customer got the oil they required and asked for”

-I got the oil before this conversation. What point are you trying to make here? You were not, nor would you ever be, invited back to our home after demonstrating such poor behavior.

“and yes we terminated our services to this customer.”

-Once again, you’re telling a lie. I terminated my relationship with you once I realized you were too proud to offer an apology for disrespectful behavior. You asked me if I'd like to change the delivery program in an EFFORT TO RETAIN MY BUSINESS, I replied that I wished to be removed from your records entirely based SOLELY on your proud refusal to offer an apology for having disrespected me.

“The fact is, she has used a false name on this report. If you know what you are saying is the truth, you do not need to hide behind a lie.”

-First, I would like to reiterate that before today, I had not been aware of this site. Thanks to "Max" for reposting my complaint, and to the owner for responding, (the activity shoots it up in the Google results list), I now know that it's here and will be happy to use my opportunity to voice my opinion.

So that addresses the usage of "Max" as the poster's name, since it wasn't me, but what about "Kate Bristow?"

That's not my real name, and Bill is aware of this. I have posted the following questions regarding his repeated obsession on this topic on many other sites, and he has YET TO ANSWER ME.

Bill, why don't you answer my questions? Here they are once more...

-I am blown away by this. WHY do you think this is significant? In 2010, WHO do you think is using their full, real name on internet message boards besides those who are ignorant of the risks?

Anyone reading this has to laugh at this point, because few people use their full name on public message boards. It is not to “hide behind a lie, ” but it is to protect privacy and “real life.” I told you I would be posting my complaint on every site I could find a place for it. I'm not "hiding" from you, I made my intentions very clear, and my story is very specific.

I have countered you with this question on other message boards regarding this discussion. You repeatedly make a point about my internet screen name being different than my full, real name, and I repeatedly ask you, “What point are you making with this?” You have yet to answer.

I have the right to protect myself with a alternate screen name on the internet, not only do I have that right, it’s socially recommended and expected. I’d like you to please demonstrate for us how this affects my complaint in any fashion.

By taking the time to point out that I use a screen name, instead of taking time to apologize, you are only digging your own hole deeper. You are demonstrating behaviors that appear petty and small. I believe a business owner should be interested in other things.

“And yes, we will protect our reputation. It is part of the value of our business”

-The best way to do that is to provide excellent, outstanding service to every customer. If a business has to take time away from doing that to chase around complaints about themselves on the internet, that’s a bad sign.

“And yes we will use legal means to do so.”

-You say this as though someone asked you a question about it. I don’t question your means to reply to my complaint. You have that right. But don’t forget that I have the right to voice my opinion about my perception of the situation, and you do not have the legal right to threaten to stifle it.

AND 'YES, ' I AM WILLING TO USE LEGAL MEANS TO MAKE SURE MY RIGHTS ARE PROTECTED.

“The customer has every right to contact the BBB and we suport them in trying to keep all businesses on the right track. We have, as yet, to recieve anything from the BBB. They will only contact us with legitamate inquiries.”

-I do not need your permission to contact the BBB, or any other entity that has an interest in how you treated me as a customer.

“All of that being said, we at Williams Fuel Service Inc do love our customers! We will continue to treat all who ask for our services with the respect and trust they deserve. And we hope in doing so, that it will be returned to us.”

-Again, you’re demonstrating a failure to read my original post on the other sites that you've replied to already, so you've seen them, you just didn't have the patience to read them in their entirety. I mention that “the Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines love as "warm attachment, enthusiasm, devotion." And I said that, “Bill did not demonstrate a warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion to me.” I was your customer, and while I was your customer, you did not demonstrate love, grace, kindness, understanding, gentleness, meekness, caring, respect or humility during our last two conversations. Therefore, your claim is false.

The fact is you must be so bothered about this to keep Googling yourself and tracking down all of these complaints after all these MONTHS. If you were really interested in “loving” your current customers, how could you be spending so much time running all over the internet, tracking down my complaints to lodge your rebuttals?

Please know that I will continue to place my complaint in every possible internet venue I can. Each time you close your registration with one website and open a new one, I will be there ready to make my opinion known.

How is it that a business owner could put so much effort and time into crafting answers, (and creating new lies), on internet message boards to defend against a simple complaint instead of simply offering a simply apology in the first place?

My only real question to you is this: How can you be so proud that you could not step back from this situation and ever say,

“Hey, maybe we disagree on the circumstances, but if you feel I mistreated you in any fashion, I’m sorry. I don’t want that perception out there. If we had a miscommunication, then I want you to know I care about presenting myself as a respectful professional?”

Your incessant need to chase me around and present your “side” only damages yourself.