Wilderness Presidential Resort / Scam

A couple of months ago, my wife and I decided to fill out a contest form at
a local mall. I'm referring to one of those displays where they park a car
inside the mall and have a sign announcing that the winner of the drawing
can win that car. Anyways, a couple of months later we received a call from
someone congratulating us on having won the drawing. The person told us that
we should expect to receive a letter in the mail providing us with more
information. The letter never arrived, which I now suspect was not
coincidental.

About three weeks after that, we received another call from the same people
asking us whether or not we were still interested in claiming our prize.
They made it hard not to be interested by letting us know that we were
guaranteed to win one of three prizes: $25, 000 in cash, $30, 000 towards the
purchase of a new car, or $500 in cash. Who would not be interested? All we
had to do was drive down to some place called "Wilderness Presidential Park"
in Virginia to claim our reward. We scheduled a time and date for our
arrival, rented a car, and headed for our prize.

Once there, we saw that we were not the only "winners." There were plenty of
other people who had also driven down that day to claim their reward. We
went to the receptionist, who asked for our IDs and our drawing code - to
determine which of the three prizes we would win, or so we thought. We were
asked to sit down, and then about 15 minutes later, a young man appeared
letting us know that we would have to take a brief 90 minute tour of the
resort before we could find out what our prize was.

He took us into his car and drove us into the property. While driving us in,
he informed us immediately that more than likely we would not win the
$25, 000 or the $30, 000 toward the purchase of a new car. He said that the
odds of that happening were pretty low, and that we would more than likely
win the $500 in cash or the 1-year membership to some resort we'd never
heard of. That was the first instant I realized that there were in fact
four potential grand prizes, not three. Prior to this moment, my wife and I
were under the impression that at worst we would win $500 in cash.

Far away from our car, we accompanied this guide who gave us a 2-hour tour
of the resort(originally supposed to be 90 minutes remember). This was the
ugliest resort I had ever seen. The buildings were from the late
1960s-1970s. They were cramped and had a weird smell. I could not imagine
why anyone would want to spend a weekend there let alone buy a timeshare
there. The guide basically talked to us a like a used car salesman trying
to determine what type of people we were. Did we like to drink beer? If so,
this was a great place to have parties on weekends. This was private
property and no one like the police would bother us. Or were we
serious-mature types? Not to worry, most of the people who spent time there
were respectable considerate adults. Often the statements he told us tended
to contradict each other. He initially told us that the resort was for poor
people who didn't mind staying at a two-star resort. Close to the end, he
told us that by becoming members we could ensure year-round access to their
five-star accomodations.

At the end of his two-hour tour, we let him know that we were not interested
in buying property or a timeshare at their resort. The guide brought in his
supervisor to speak to us. He was a very aggressive man who tried to
intimidate us into buying into their resort. He told us he didn't understand
why we didn't like their resort. Didn't we like taking vacations? Didn't we
know that this was a great deal? Didn't we know how lucky we were to have
won the drawing? Didn't we know that as winners, we were able to purchase
property-timeshare at a special rate ($18-$20, 000 for the right to use their
mediocre facilities 365 days a year!). The supervisor told us that their
offer was valid for one-day only, so it was essential that I sign a contract
that same day. I let him know that there was no way I would sign any
contract without first reviewing its terms, which might take me a couple of
days. That was unacceptable to them, and that was the end of that.

They let us go, but not before asking us to refer friends and family for
them to contact. And our prize, it turned out to be the 1 year membership to
another of their unknown resorts. We can now visit this resort, which is
located hours away from where we live as many times as we want in the next
year without paying. Of course, this membership does not include
accomodations. So if we go to this place, we'll still have to end up
spending money on food and a place to stay. Doesn't sound like much of a
good deal to me.

The bottom line - this whole thing is fishy. Its almost impossible for
anyone to win any of the real prizes. Towards the end of our tour, while our
guide was away talking to his supervisor I glanced through one of the sheets
of paper he had left on the table. The The sheet revealed the odds of
winnning the various prizes. The numbers may not be precise, but they are a
good approximation of what I saw.

Ed

Comments

• Me
      5th of Jun, 2009

I am so glad I read this before I was supposed to go down to Spotsylvania 4 days from now!

Like the original poster, I was super excited that I had won one of the four extravagant prizes. The lady on the phone even told me I was GUARANTEED one of the four prizes (25k towards a new car / 20k cash, 7-day cruise, 1 yr recreational spa something or other, or $500 Visa gift card), and absolutely guaranteed the bonus prize of a 4-night Orlando vacation for 4.

After reading countless other reviews and complaints, nobody wins any of those things. It's just a lame marketing tactic to try to get people down to their campsite and then try to badger them into buying a timeshare. Even the people who got tricked into the timeshares back in the late 80's have been desperately trying to sell them or get rid of them, because they have been forced into paying maintenance fees every year.

I read on another website, that this person's phone number was then sold to telemarketers and he was receiving calls nonstop from these people.

It is sad that malls and restaurants alike are allowing these scammers to come into their institutions and trick people into believing they are registering to win a free car.

I'm prepared for the confirmation phone call to come on Sunday, and for me to tell them to go F themselves.

I willingly admit I am one of the more gullible people I know, but I'm also appreciative that I was fortunate enough to do more research before I wasted my time driving out there.

• Hi
      17th of Dec, 2009

ok so me and my husband was in the local mall in lynchburg virginia and i saw this car sittin there and it said enter your name to win this car and i just got a phone call from these ppl the number is 540 885 7300 telling me that i had won the prize and that my prize number is guaranteed to win one of the 4 prizes which are : 25k towards a new car, 20k cash, 4day 3 night cruise, 1 yr family package to a resort or a 500 visa gift card. I was like oh wow i cant believe this, this is great... so they said let me get the claims dept to call you so they called me from the number :540 885 8584... which the whole time i could hear ppl laughn in the background. so then they told me to hold and they were going to get someone on the phone to set up a date for me to come up there and i was like ok.. so she told me to come on sunday the 27th between 10 or 10:30 and they would give us 50 dollars for gas, then 20 mins later she said well beings its a holiday wkend we only give 35 dollars i said ok thats fine then she said well here is the number for our night and weekend services which is 540 972 2666... so im so glad that i read all this before i went down there... and yeah im going to do the same thang and tell them to go ### them selves...

• Mi
      30th of Mar, 2010

all of these reports against this company is doing no good there is no agency which oversees this operation so, all this writing and reports are jack!

• Mi
      30th of Mar, 2010

I am a fair minded person, who has gotten stuck with some property i dont want, paying property taxes every year for what, and cant get rid of it and dont want to hurt my credit but with all that said there is no one that can help you with this, so why complain virgina has no laws to help consumers.

• Fr
      25th of Jul, 2010

I have owned out at the resort since 1994, it was a nice place to go camping with my children so we could go to the pools and beach there. We used to go there camping but now I am having alot of issues. My husband and I purchased this membership together. We have been seperated for 7 years and the administration is telling us that the undivided interest deed has to go to him or to me. They can't have 2 families using one membership. My husband lives 2 miles from there so he has no need or desire to stay overnight out there, he is always at work whether he is at work or working on things at home, he doesn't make time for the kids to go to Wilderness ever. I enjoy camping, he does not, but he does like to go fishing out there. I guess they just want to sell another membership, but it surely doesn't seem fair when he wouldn't have purchased it at all in the first place without my influence. I am still legally married to him but because his name is first on the deed, that mean it is all up to him now. Well you better make sure your name is first on the deed or you lose all of your rights and access to your supposed property THE WHOLE REASON FOR OUR PURCHASE WAS FOR OUR KIDS TO HAVE A FUN PLACE TO GO TO IN THE SUMMER, POOR KIDS-YOU ONLY GET TO GO IF YOUR FATHER WANTS TO TAKE YOU THERE, NOT YOUR MOM WHO IS AVAILABLE TO TAKE YOU THERE ANYTIME YOU WOULD ASK. Sorry to vent all this madness but I thought if anyone had this property that didn't want it, I could surely make good use of it since I do have 5 kids that love camping, fishing and swimming and also that I purchased a 31 foot camper to be able to stay out there with my kids 4 boys and 1 girl. free2livehappy34 at yahoo

• El
      2nd of Aug, 2010

My mother and i buy this time share and let me tell you the services is very bad. They treat you like trash. I'm looking to sell this peice of trash. Hope we can get the money we pay for. Please do not attend to buy anything here.
    Thanks
    Elsi

• Va
      12th of Nov, 2012

Sell it? people can't even give it away are you nuts?