WildBlue Internet Provider / Misrepresentation of Services and Installation

1 Midlothian, TX, United States Review updated:
Phone: Texas

As a 28-year, loyal AT&T customer, we decided to go with WildBlue since their name was backing it. Here's our experience since 12/22/07 our install date:

1. Misrepresented the initial installation cost: supposed to be $299, yet the guys get here and tell me there's an extra $75.00 fee --which I had to write a separate check for at the time, for having to go into the attic, as that is Non-standard...I was NEVER told that at the time of the "sale". Did I mention that didn't have drill holes, but simply put it in existing holes?

2. Had an outage the very first day

3. Told me with the pro pack I would have 30 times better than dial up, but our experience has been at best comparable to dial up. Their site says "lightening fast"...this is NOT lightening fast-totally false.

4. Expecting a $299.00 deduction from my checking account, and instead saw a $413 dollar charge! Was told that well, there's the 299 + the first month, and then there's the $20 for taxes,etc. which still doesn't add up to $413!!!

I want to terminate, but now will be extorted to pay another $800+ to get out of a contract. I am appealing to AT&T to restore my confidence in their company and release us from the contract, and we'll eat the $500.00 for TWO WEEKS of service!!

Anyone that knows of any course of action we can take besides living with this service in lieu of ruining our credit for the next 11 months will be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Na
      6th of Mar, 2008

How this for an Idea read the agreement first before you set it up... ask questions... don't expect them to have E.S.P... you know the sales guy is just after a sale... your the "bargan hunter" educate yourself before you start blaming others!

How much do you REALY think the tech's get? how far do you think they drive out of their out expence.. are you so nieve that you think they are just employees? Did you do your homework first? Or did you sucker yourself? Do you think materials are free ... they just fall from the sky or what?

• Sh
      16th of Feb, 2009

We had Wild Blue for several years. Cancelled our service on the 23 of November. At that time I was told I would recieve a partial credit for November. On my December credit card statement I had been charged the $69.95 normal monthly billing amount. I called again and was told I would recieve acredit for the partial month of Nov. and a full month of Dec. My January credit card bill comes and I was charged $69.95 again. I called on the 16th of Jan. and was told I would get a credit of $188.83 on my Feb. credit card bill. I just got my statement and was billed $2.26. I called again today and they now tell me I will only get $123.47. I was livid and put through to a superevisor who then put me through to their customer advocacy team member Alexis. I was told that was all the creidt I would be getting and it would go through in 7-10 business days. I asked for the interest that the credit card charges and they said they would not pay it. Also when we cancelled we were told that if we sent our modem back we would get a $50.00 credit. So we sent it. It was working minutes before we put it in the box. Now they say it does not work so they will not give us the credit. I asked iin Jan for them to return my modem and they said they would. Now Alexis tells me we won't be getting it back. I beleive WildBlue is a scam company and you can't believe a word they tell you and certainly don't trust them.

• Re
      1st of Apr, 2009

For all of you fast internet searchers in rural areas like myself. I was told about this Wild Blue and found interesting results everyone should see. I will not recommend and make sure everyone knows how deceitful Wild Blue is.

We had Wild Blue for several years, Cancelled our service on the 23 of November. At that time, I was told I would receive a partial credit for November. On my December credit card statement, I had been charged the $69.95 normal monthly billing amount. I called again and was told I would receive accredit for the partial month of Nov. and a full month of Dec. My January credit card bill comes and I was charged $69.95 again. I called on the 16th of Jan. and was told I would get a credit of $188.83 on my Feb. credit card bill. I just got my statement and was billed $2.26. I called again today and they now tell me I will only get $123.47. I was livid and put through to a supervisor who then put me through to their customer advocacy team member Alexis. I was told that was all the credit I would be getting and it would go through in 7-10 business days. I asked for the interest that the credit card charges and they said they would not pay it. In addition, when we cancelled we were told that if we sent our modem back we would get a $50.00 credit. So we sent it. It was working minutes before we put it in the box. Now they say it does not work so they will not give us the credit. I asked in Jan for them to return my modem and they said they would. Now Alexis tells me we won't be getting it back. I believe WildBlue is a fraud company and you can't believe a word they tell you and certainly don't trust them.

2. Had an outage the very first day

4. Expecting a $299.00 deduction from my checking account, and instead saw a $413 dollar charge! Was told that well, there's the 299 + the first month, and then there's the $20 for taxes, etc. which still doesn't add up to $413!!!

• Go
      11th of May, 2009

I'll add that I was also charged "mileage" when the tech came to do the installation, yet this was the only provider for Eastern North Carolina!

When something else is available here... EVDO perhaps, WB is going to be history, and if I have to CANCEL my credit card to stop their fraudulant charges, it will be done. : )

• Rf
      7th of May, 2011

Living in a "rural" area where cable lines would have been brought into my home –an operation that seemed excessively complicated– I subscribed to Wild Blue.

What ended up as a seemingly easy solution has become a complete nuisance and finally I cancelled my contract before it expired. Although I subscribed to the "Pro Package" ($79.95) most of the time, the Internet speed was no faster than a dial-up and more often than not had outages. Calling for IT support took infinite patience: it is difficult to get through to a live representative on the phone, there is no way to reach anyone via email, tech support is only available during the week (something I discovered after being placed on hold for over an hour one weekend only to be told afterwards no one was available to speak with me).

I ended up getting Optimum to install the cable lines into my home. The estimate was over $5, 000 but it turns out that New York state subsidizes the install, so I did not have to pay anything. The customer service representative I worked with was incredibly responsive (and available via phone and email); the install occurred within 2 weeks. Best of all, my monthly service fees are $69.95--and this includes a phone line with unlimited calls within the US!

Now back to Wild Blue... I am still battling with them. After having to pay a $150 service fee to remove the equipment from my house I am now being charged an additional $300 for having to send it in. The only problem is that it was picked up when it was removed. WildBlue has no record of this. And although I did ask every question I could think of when canceling the service it is impossible to ask about every minute variation of what could possibly happen because this company is focused on getting as much money out of their customers --while providing the least amount of service-- as possible. So, yes, I must agree with the hundreds of posts out there that WildBlue is a charlatan company, a complete scam.

My solution? Well, it is only a matter of time before they have a major class action lawsuit on their hands.