Wildblue Communications / rip off/bait and switch

1 CO, United States Review updated:

This is one of those multi-corporation screw-ups but I contribute the blame on Wildblue in the end.

Background:
I live in a 'mobile' home that has been professionally installed (4 years ago) on a concrete foundation with multiple tie-downs. Along side and attached to the house is an antenna tower (professionally installed) embedded in cement also. On this tower are multiple antennas including a Direct TV Television Dish along with a Hughes Satellite Internet Dish.

I entered into a contract with Direct TV for them to supply Satellite Internet service on/or about August 7, 2008. Direct TV gave me the phone number of WildBlue to call when I received the equipment, which I was to call for an installation date. I received the equipment and made the appointment on/or about August 13, 2008 for August 21, 2008.

During the conservations with the various contacts (DirectTV, Wildblue) I specifically made the point that I wanted the new dish installed on my existing tower.

Complaint:
On August 21, 2008 2 men showed up in a car with a magnetic sign on the side that stated they represented DirectTV. They looked at my house and tower and immediately stated that Wildblue "...did not allow them to attach the dish to a 'mobile' home nor install it on any 'existing customer mast or tower'...". They "...only were allowed to install it on their own installed pole which they were going to have to install in my yard at an additional charge to me." The location they picked for their pole was 5 feet from my antenna tower (a triangular arrangements of wielded steel pipes that can be climbed).

I refused the additional charges and, after connecting me to a lady on the phone that knew nothing of the situation, they left.

Since then I have informed DirectTV that I was canceling this installation and related how upset I am over this situation as I feel this is a 'bait and switch' or at least a scam to 'collect additional money from the mark' game that is being run against rural people like me.

Mi

More Wildblue Communications Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Va
      28th of Sep, 2007
    Wildblue Satellite Internet / Directv - Beware from ordering through DirecTV!

Beware from ordering WildBlue Satellite Internet through DirecTV. They have contractors whole install. If you call the installation company to set up installation they refer you to an independent contractor who never calls you back. Its better to deal with locals who install these services.

• Ne
      25th of Oct, 2008

I understand your position, however Wild Blue has the most strict install standards in the industry. The standards are to protect the Wild Blue customers. Satellite Internet is a very sensitive product. The dish must be fine tuned 'almost perfect' for the system to work correctly.

Wild Blue does not allow mounting on mobile home roofs because mobile homes are not built to the same specifications as a stick built structure. The foundation and tie downs on your home are great, however they do not change the fact the roof is a mobile home roof. Your tower sounds nice, however Wild Blue has strict rules about installs. A tower mount is not a Wild Blue approved mount.

The tower is designed to 'give' which will allow it to MOVE (remember the WB system has to be fine tuned). The correct Wild Blue pole mount is a VERY HEAVY pole. This pole is 8' long, 3' will be buried with a MINIMUM of 120 lbs of concrete. This will allow for very little 'give' or movement.

You also state you have a HughesNet dish on your tower. That tower is not an approved mount for HughesNet either. You are probably wanting to replace your HughesNet system because of poor performance. A system that is not installed correctly will NEVER work correctly.

Many people make this mistake of comparing Satellite Internet to Satellite TV. The TV systems do NOT transmit, so they are not as sensitive as the Internet systems. A BAD install on a TV system will still allow the TV system to provide GOOD service. A bad install for Satellite Internet will only provide BAD service.

Wild Blue is trying to protect its customers from BAD installs. The bad part of your story is that a salesperson was unable to discuss your correct install needs with you.

Cheree Miller

I signed up for the top level of service from WildBlue Communications in June of 2004. Since May of this year (2005) my service has been spotty at best, and for long stretches of time has been completely non-existent.

I called to cancel my account in August, and was asked to give them a chance to correct the problem. They scheduled a service call and the technician was dispatched within 2 weeks -- with the wrong part. I was told it would take 2 days for the correct part to arrive. It is now November, and the technician still has not received the correct part.

For 4 months now, I have been shuttled back and forth between technician, dsi, and WildBlue technical support and customer service. Everyone points fingers at everyone else.

At one point, I was offered a terrific deal of paying only $39.95 a month instead of the $79.95 I pay until they resolve the situation. What a deal! $40 for no service instead of $80 for no service!

December 8th, I contacted WildBlue to demand a refund and cancel my service. I was transferred to a customer service specialist in the corporate office, K. Gregory, who assured me he would take care of the problem by 12/12/08. He further assured me that I would receive a phone call from him no later than first thing in the morning of 12/9/08 with a status update. I have received no call. I have called the number he gave me DAILY, but get his voice mail, and he does NOT return my phone calls.

Further, you can't reach any of the executives at WildBlue. There are no phone numbers or email addresses available for anyone except their call center employees who, obviously, do not have the authority or ability to address customer service issues of this magnitude. To make matters worse, they can't even give you contact information for anyone who might be able to help, but simply send you back to the website that provides only the phone number to the call center.

If you, or anyone you know is considering WildBlue for your internet service, RUN don't walk to a different service provider.

• Ri
    wildblue.com

Had to wait for installation was 3 weeks later than agreed to. I had their best package and the speed was unacceptable but was within their tolerance. I would lose service completely when it got cloudy. They said that I could cancel my service 1 month after installation with no charges. After not getting an invoice or notice whatsoever, they sent the fees to collections. BAD SERVICE.

• Su
    WildBlue Communications

Earlier this year i ordered service from wildblue.they changed who the installer would be &where he would be comming from 4 times.that didn't concern me that much, i thought it a little odd.when the installer arrived he couldn'tconnect where i asked because he didn't have what he needed.he hooked up near the corner of the house, i couldn, t move my laptop out of a confined area.i paid him 50$ to hook up my router, i was in another room he brought my computer, it was online until he left.even though he left his # he never called back.i had to make a full time job of trying to use wild blue.finally i re installed my dial up connection, by then i was totally going to fail that semester.at last i reached someone in customer service that told me it was the router causing the problem, i told her how confined i was .she suggested that i buy @ very long cord, by that time i agreeed out of total exaustion.after thought of my treatment from customer service i wasn't going to pay.they sent a box for me to send the things back, i havn't had time until now. i really need @good internet service provider.thank you soo much, patty farthing !

• Al
      8th of Jun, 2016

i am i the same situation ..did they give u your money back?

• Mi
      8th of Jun, 2016

I too am being scammed by WildBlue. I have sent proof of replacement service and have an email from them that they received their router back and they continue to send me to collections. One collection agency dropped their attempt to collect based on my evidence and Wild Blue's response was to send me to another agency. My daughter who is an attorney is wondering if this is happening to a lot more people. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not going to lay down for this or go quietly into the night. I have lived debt free for almost 11 years and I don't need this crap. How about you?

• Ro
      8th of Jun, 2016

Wildblue Communications charged my credit card for a month of service five weeks after I had terminated my service. When I moved to my new home, I called to have my equipment installed. This equipment was not leased, and I had been a Wildblue (WB) customer for five years. At the time I signed on, customers were required to purchase the satellite and modem. When I asked if I could have my dish installed at my new location, I was told that they would no longer support the equipment they sold me and that I had to lease new equipment from them. I elected to terminate my service with WB and sign on with another internet service provider. The WB customer service agent offered me a month of free service to migrate my emails to my new provider since I had been such a good customer. I accepted their offer. Although the satellite dish was never installed, I was able to access my WB email account through the web using my new internet provider. I was able to retrieve and send messages and advise people of my new email address.

At the end of the 30 day period the email account was terminated. About a week later I received an email from WB advising that my credit card was being charged $49.95, which was my usual monthly billing. Assuming a mistake, I called WB and after repeated attempts finally got through to the billing department. To my surprise, I was told that my account was automatically re-activated because I had not called back at the end of the 30 day grace period to confirm my cancellation. I explained that I did not have internet service with WB, nor was my satellite equipment operational or installed for the period that they were billing me for. However, the agent said that a refund was not forthcoming. I asked to speak to a manager and was told that there were no floor managers available. I demanded that they delete my credit card information from their files, and was given a ticket number to follow up on that request. I was also told by that agent that I had to call back within three business days to follow up on that case number or my account would be re-activated! When I called back three days later, I was told that there were indeed floor managers, and I was able to speak to one. Upon reviewing my complaint, the manager said that I should not have been billed for services not rendered and that the charge to my credit card would be reversed. The charges were never reversed.

Initially I had emailed their customer service agent and was told that I could only cancel my account over the phone. I replied to that email and said that I had already cancelled my account over the phone. A WB agent replied to that email stating that my account was still active. I called WB and confirmed that my account was closed, and received a ticket number confirming that information and sent that ticket number in a reply email to their customer care person. I was emailed back stating that they could see in their system that my account was still active, and when I asked for specifics about where they saw that information so I could refer their phone center representatives to it I was told that I had to call their customer care center because they could not discuss it in an email.

There seems to be a clear disconnect in this company. Not only are there long, frustrating wait times, and dropped calls when dealing with their customer care center, but one receives conflicting, erroneous information and no satisfaction.

They also charged me for a month of service when my account was closed, and my equipment was not installed.

Go with another provider.

• As
    Wildblue Communications - Awful customer treatment
    WildBlue

• Sk
    Wildblue Communications - Improper billing
    Wildblue Communications

At the end of the 30 day period the email account was terminated. About a week later I received an email from WB advising that my credit card was being charged $49.95, which was my usual monthly billing. Assuming a mistake, I called WB and after repeated attempts finally got through to the billing department. To my surprise, I was told that my account was automatically re-activated because I had not called back at the end of the 30 day grace period to confirm my cancellation. I explained that I did not have internet service with WB, nor was my satellite equipment operational or installed for the period that they were billing me for. However, the agent said that a refund was not forthcoming. I asked to speak to a manager and was told that there were no floor managers available. I demanded that they delete my credit card information from their files, and was given a case number to follow up on that request. I was also told by that agent that I had to call back within three business days to follow up on that case number or my account would be re-activated! When I called back three days later, I was told that there were indeed floor managers, and I was able to speak to one. Upon reviewing my complaint, the manager said that I should not have been billed for services not rendered and that the charge to my credit card would be reversed. That was in mid-October, and it is now the end of December and the charges have not been reversed.

• Xr
      8th of Jun, 2016

i agree wild blue is just as bad as hughesnet i dont see how these stupid ### companies can still be in business its sick we have hughesnet but not for long. getting dsl here soon

• 53
    Wildblue Communications - Awful experience
    wildblue.com

I signed up for the top level of service from WildBlue Communications in June of 2007. Since May of this year (2008) my service has been spotty at best, and for long stretches of time has been completely non-existent.

• Je
      8th of Jun, 2016
    Wildblue Communications - Removed funds illegally! Know a good lawyer!
    Jearbear Antiques
    Desloge
    Missouri

The money you now owe me is a lot more than 263.36! Since you removed my funds illegally I am now over 400.00 negative in my checking. Several items attached to the original 236.36 have hit NSF. I have had over 100.00 in fees in checking alone. One of the checks that went out was to a finance company whom now charges me 65% interest until I pay them the original 110.00 I wrote a check for!
    Last Friday 1/14/2011, is when I called but, you took out the money illegally on the 12th of Jan. It has now been over a week for the 65% to hit my account with the fiance company!
    I have contacted the court house where I received my bankruptcy. I am waiting for a response from them what my next step will be. I spoke to a person in Billing on Friday and she said it was being taken care of! Well, that was a lie coming from your personnel. She indicated they took the funds because I had not return your equipment. Then she checked it out and found the return and indicated that WildBlue made a mistake. Either way! Your company had no right to illegally pull my money. Not since your company was in my bankruptcy! So, to make a long story shorter. Wildblue removed my funds from my checking illegally sine they are under my bankruptcy which was done on 6/2/2010.

• Vi
    Wildblue Communications - Fraud alert
    WildBlue Communications

#1, lied about how weather affects it. I live where it rains 9 months out of the year, guy said'only goes out in heavy rain, I know I lived there" a total lie, out whenever it so much as drizzled. For more of my experiences just search the web for complaints -DITTO.
    #2, never as fast as advertised, lots of timeouts, made running a business just about impossible, had to get a dialup account from AOL to ensure internet access.
    #3, cancelled ASAP (1 year of outrageous fees for nothing finally over! or so I thought-got a bill with interest and penalties 15 (FIFTEEN) months after I cancelled, this was the FIRST bill I got. This was the first piece of paper I got from them in the mail.
    #4, called "customer service" about above, snotty, snippy and rude woman wouldn't answer any of my questions.
    Lesson-do not waste your time calling them, I already knew that!
    #5 sicced a collection agency on me-see you in court wildblue.
    How you can help? REFUND MY COMPLETE AND TOTAL COSTS SO I CAN FIX THE LEAK YOUR INSTALLER PUT IN MY ROOF!
    And get off my planet.

8th of Jun, 2016

I am in complete agreement! I have had their "service" since February of 2009 and the ONLY reason I hadn't dropped it before now was that it was WildBlue or dial-up. Period. I asked my friend who is a local installer for the company about Hughes net and he said that he had heard that WB either was buying or had already bought Hughes - so it would have been useless to switch to them. I finally got to drop them yesterday because a local wireless company got a new tower that I am able to receive service from. It is WONDERFUL!!! If you are in Kansas or surrounding states, check out http://www.valnet.net . It gave me more pleasure than I can say to tell WB to disconnect me!!

• Gs
      8th of Jun, 2016
    Wildblue Communications - WORST INTERNET EVER!!
    WildBlue Communications

Worst internet I have ever had. Lock you into a 2yr contract because they know if they don't they will lose customers left and right. I was going to upgrade until I read it makes no difference. The customer service is terrible. When I signed on they told me I would be fine for all I do on my laptop, but I cannot even download photos. This sucks. My two years cannot get here quick enough and I still have over a year to go. What a total waste of money.

• Sn
      8th of Jun, 2016
    Wildblue Communications - WORST INTERNET EVER!!
    WildBlue Communications

This is hands down the worst internet connection I have ever had in my life!!! Completely slow!!! To which they lied about the speed, cost of installation and took the technition FOREVER to set up and in spot I didn't even necessarily want. It rarely connects to the internet after sitting here for hours on end frustrated as HELL for it to finally connect and when it does the speeds are spotty at best and completely SLOW!!! Beware and NEVER EVER get this company as it will be the worst Internet source you can find hands down! They also make you sign a contract which is way to long and again in no way is this worth it. DO your research and don't be scammed into WILDBLUE interent they are by far the WORST source anyone could find. SOOOOOO SLOW AND HORRIBLE SERVICE!!!

• Md
    Wildblue Communications - Poor customer service

I have been trying to contact Wildblue through their telephone #, email, live chat, and any other possible way. I get absolutely no response.

I called at 6AM MST--the time they open. I held for over 45 minutes. I called back 3 times during the day. Same results.

I've tried "live help" and get a little twirling circle. Never connect and never get help. I've sent an email asking for someone to call or email me so I can get in touch with Wildblue. No response.

Wildblue could at least have the courtesy to call or email customers. If they are really so very busy--or have so many complaints and issues that customers are on hold continuously, they should hire more people to give at least a touch of customer service.

I am very upset that I can not even get in touch with Wildblue when I need some help. I've been a client for almost a year--one of the first in this area.

Wildblue also cuts back speed of upload and download in 1/2 when they decide you've used the system too much. What do I pay for?

• Mr
      8th of Jun, 2016

My parents who live in W.V. recently subscribed to Satellite Internet Service with WildBlue Communications in USA, and was scammed out of money, and left with no service. WildBlue's Service was supposed to give us standard installation with purchase of equipment. This however did not happen, we received equipment and the O.N.S.C. technician insisted that our service had to have a pole mount installation, and this would cost us an extra $185. dollars. We had to agree to this, or we could do without Satellite Internet service and the installer threatened to leave and if he had to come back he would charge us another $95. dollars plus the extra $185.00 for installing the dish in the yard. I believe this a form of EXTORTION.

The technician worked for WildBlue, but was hired by
    "O.N.S.C."( 1041 Collier rd. Accident. MD 21520 Phone:(301)746-7700 as listed on the BBB

My parents had insisted on a second story walkout porch area for the standard mount of our satellite dish. Our Porch has a perfect view, and this was also shown to be part of a standard installation as was demonstrated in the brochure we received from WildBlue.

The technician refused to use the roof porch mount, saying WildBlue would not authorize a roof porch mount, because it was on a wooden structure.

After we put a stop payment on the Installers check, we received a phone call from the installer, threatening us with a lawsuit and arrest. At this point we notified the local sheriff and contacted the F.B.I. about WildBlue and ONSC .

WildBlue admitted that the dish could have been installed on our roof, and that they would credit us for the difference. However we never received this credit. WildBlue also advised us to put a stop payment on the check to the installer. WildBlue said our modem was provisioned offsite to another customer. We could not use our own internet service installed at our house. WildBlue referred to this as a failed install.

Now our dish is installed on the ground, not more than 5 feet from the porch we wanted it installed on. The Technician left the wires hanging under our porch, drilled holes in our new porch deck, and drilled holes in our siding on our house, he damaged our property, and none of this was necessary because the dish could have been installed on the walkout roof porch. The reason we wanted the dish installed on our walkout roof porch was that it stops vandals from damaging our equipment, and allows us easily to clean the snow off of it during the winter if necessary, and we currently have other dish's already installed there.

WildBlue and O.N.S.C. promised to correct these problems. They made several appointments to this effect, but they never showed up, nor did they call us to explain why. This went on for many weeks.

After many many hours of phone calls to WildBlue they finally refused to talk to us, saying the problem had been escalated beyond tech escalations problem, and they could not talk to us anymore.

Finally, in disgust, we requested the credit card company refund our money. Now at this point we have not gotten a finalization from the credit card company. We are still waiting as of 2-14-08

We had first signed up Sept 24th 2007, and the installer showed up on Oct 29th, 2007.

We have never seen such #@#@&$# terrible business practices, shoddy service, and inconsideration to customers needs and complaints. Not to mention, the O.N.S.C installer trying to extort extra money by demanding a pole mount.

We had contacted WildBlue many times, over the course of several weeks, which ran into months, WildBlue and O.N.S.C. have failed to fix the problems by simply swapping modems and moving the dish, or sending us a new modem. We even offered to have a local installer reinstall the dish, and service the modem (Reprovisioned) to its proper use, WildBlue refused this idea. We were left with no option but to request a refund from the credit card company.

Wildblue, O.N.S.C. and D.S.I. are very dishonest deceitful people, who make claims they do not keep. These companies have treated us unfairly, and with no respect, and great disregard for our situation that they have created. They have caused us Great Aggravation and Frustration over this matter.

I do not wish to have any further dealings with any of these companies,

Sincerely,
    Mr. Christian

• Ha
    Wildblue Communications - Bad deal
    WildBlue Communications

The WlldBlue customer service sales person assured me that internet service would be much better than Hughes-net internet service. In particular I was concerned about how often the service might go out during bad weather as that happened occasionally to the Hughes service. I was assured that bad weather would not affect the connection.

With in the first month service was interrupted twice for extended periods of 2-4 hours during rainstorms.

One day This last week service was out nearly all day during another rain storm.

I called to cancel my service as it was actually less reliable than the Hughes connection had been.

The company wants to enforce an early termination clause after 40 days of service.

Beware of early termination language buried in your e contract which you will not see because your installer will click you right through the hook up online.