Wide World Software / scam

1 IL, United States Review updated:

I was in the process of configuring my computer for new internet service - and hadn't totally got my antivirus reactivated. There is a "Security Tool" that keeps popping up and won't let you back to your computer - until you activate its software - scarry at the time - and YES - in order to get the stuff I was working on - I purchased it but could not get out of it... It had error messages - like " your credit card information is being accessed by unauthorized - please activate installation - - come on now!

Comments

• He
      24th of Feb, 2010

I had the same thing happen to me last night! $99.90 down the drain!

• Ti
      24th of Feb, 2010

Is there a way to alert others not to be trapped? There must be a way.

After I paid 2 years protection for $49.95, it did remove my detected virus, but no application needs to install, I start to wondering, and I did not receive any confirmation from my email like any other purchase I did from internet, than I Google search "Security Tool", fond out it is a scam, I called my credit card company to dispute the transaction, unfortunately there is no way to cancel, credit card company told me to cancel the account to void the card misused by the same people, but the $49.95 down to the drain. I will be more careful in the future.

• Su
      24th of Feb, 2010

oh my god...me too just 3 days ago !!! freakin pissed off !
    I got the $49.95 -2 yr plan

called Visa today and sure enough I have NO WAY of contacting World Wide myself !?!?

my real concern now would be future purchases on my visa..

this is bull...even Visa knows about this scam...why even allow these purchases??

even after the purchase the problem didn't stop I had to take my computer in for service to have the virus removed.

• Di
      25th of Feb, 2010

The same thing happened to me today. I thought it was legit and my computer was in actually danger. I should have known something funny was going on when I never got the confirmation email. Also on the screen to confirm payment it disappeared quickly. I went ahead and cancelled my card information they already got the 49.95 out of me. These people need to be stopped!!!

• Du
      27th of Feb, 2010

I agree this is ###! I just paid 59.95 for the software cause it completley locked me out of the system! I couldnt do anything, I need a phone number or something to try and get my money back! I used a wal-mart visa card and they told me to write a letter disputing the money so maybe I can get my money back! I hoping cause like alot of people I dont have the money to just throw away!

• Xt
      1st of Mar, 2010

I had the same issue with my daughter's computer. She had "Security Tool" on her laptop, and the computer was "freaking out". Coincidently this was the exact same day that her McAfee Anti-Virus Software expired. I thought this was another type of anti-virus protection software so I purchased it. Because her computer was "freaking out" it wouldn't allow me to search "Security Tool" more before purchasing. They did take the money from my account, and have all my information.
    I thought something was phisy so I tried to click the icon ...nothing happened...I right-clicked to view the files properties and didn't find anything but odd numbers.
    After purchasing this fraudulent product my daughters worked fine and I was able to search "Security Tool". The search results told me not to purchase, that it is a phishing and fraudulent scam.
    I asked my bank to cancel the transaction but since I authorized it ...it was too late to cancel. They took the money from my account and stated for me to fill out a dispute claim. They said if the company turns out to be phony I will get my money refunded back to my account, but that it will not happen overnight.
    I am a very careful person.

• Li
      8th of Mar, 2010

It happen to me on 2/25/2010, same issue they ask for $ 49.00, but I got charge 129.00 I have to cancel my credit card and, This company is BIG FRUAD

3rd of Apr, 2010

On Feb. 14th I was working on my computer, when suddenly a strange "splash" screen appeared, urging me to purchase an anti-virus program. Since I already have an excellent anti-virus program, I was not interested, And proceeded to 'close' their advertisement. I was not successful in closing their screen, and found I could do NOTHING on my PC. I had lost COMPLETE control of it! I tried everything I knew to remove their "infection"...re-booting, shutting it off completely, then trying a few hours later, with the same result..."Buy our program or you will lose all your information". Then a new window appeared, showing (supposedly) all the viruses that were multiplying on my computer.

As much as I hated to do it, I felt I had no choice but to purchase their program with the hope of re-gaining control of my PC.
    I entered my Visa card info, and all was restored to normal.

When computer function was restored, I immediately used the "restore to a previous date" feature (Windows XP), to hopefully remove all traces of this unscrupulous (and very capable) merchant from my computer.

In addition, at my first opportunity, I called to request a new credit card, now that this merchant had my credit information.

Since I was successful in "rolling back" the date on my computer, all traces of any info (if they provided any) regarding that company was now gone. I had witnessed first hand their amazing ability to bypass 2 firewalls, and my very good anti virus system to hijack my computer, and didn't want to be victimized again. I'm not interested in any future contact with this merchant, since I'm very much aware of their fraudulent abilities.

Although my credit card company is 'seeming' to co-operating in getting me a refund, everytime I send them a letter, I get a letter in return asking for more information. I have no address for this company. So my I really feel my credit card bank is totally aware of the scam. but is either unable or unwilling to help in this matter.

My time is valuable to me (as is also with you), and I refuse to waste any more of it writing letters, etc., etc. I don't believe any future efforts will obtain a refund (89.95).

My MAJOR concern at this point is what can I do to prevent it from happening AGAIN!!!???

BEWARE OF WIDE WORLD SOFTWARE...

• Du
      3rd of Apr, 2010

I was scammed about 2 months ago by world wide soft. I still get the thingy popping up telling us we have a virus. I downloaded spybot its free and it makes it stop. After I purchased the software from world wide software I couldnt do anything on my computer. My husband was so angry cause we were out 59 bucks. But I used a walmart money card to order the "software". I disputed the charges and had to cancle my card, wait on another one but after a month I got my money back. They never collected the money from the walmart bank. So with my dispute they gave my money back. I was researching the company and came across this site.

Two men have been arrested by federal agents in Clinton after being accused of violating immigration laws.

In connection with the case, FBI agents, immigration officers and Clinton police on Wednesday afternoon were among the agencies probing 211 Fifth Ave. South, which houses Worldwide Software Services Inc. and Sana Systems Inc.

If this is true then why does there software continue to scam people everyday! The police took all there stuff I just dont understand! People like this make me sick!