WhiteSmoke.com / This is probably a scam

1 Spain Review updated:

I purchased WhiteSmoke about 6 months ago.
It was not until I was going in for an upgrade, I realized that it could be a scam and that I had fallen for it the first time.
I became worried when I tried to uninstall the software...I could not. I had to enter the registry (Windows) and delete one by one every entry. I bought almost the full business package which set me back almost 90 USD. I was about to upgrade, but upon sending e-mail after e-mail, I became aware that this was probably a bogus e-mail address and the whole thing nothing but a rip-off.
Could you please look in to this, I don't suppose I will ever see my money, but at least I will prevent others from having the same problem.
you can read on line, it is a problem which other people have reported and written about.
Regards,
Nicholas

More WhiteSmoke.com Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Ri
  28th of Jan, 2009

I had a very pleasant experience with Whitesmoke's customer service department, when I realized I had received the Business program when I had requested the Creative Writing profile. I received a call within a day or so of my e-mail, and dealt with a very friendly customer service representative (I think his name was Mike Evans) who immediately corrected the problem and sent me the right version. Maybe your e-mail didn't get sent?

Ca
  1st of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes

I called customer service asking for an upgrade about two months ago to the 2009 version. I was immediately granted the upgrade, and was told to reinstall the product once the new one was sent to me. I'm still very happy with WhiteSmoke (as I was prior to the upgrade) and will continue to use it on my family's PC, as will my kids for their schoolwork, which they love.

Sa
  18th of Feb, 2009

Hey i totaly disagree with wat this person says...whitesmoke made my spelling a lot better and helped improove my writing in other Ways too. also i even called with a grammer question one time, and I got an answer later that after noon.

25th of Feb, 2009

THe grammar checker and text enrichmnet are big helps, to any writer. I bought the whitesmoke product last year and am so far very happy with it. It fixes all of my mistakes.

Di
  27th of Feb, 2009

I've been having problems with my computer since I installed "WhiteSmoke." The program serves my purposes on a marginal level and actually trades off one mistake or error for another and sometimes trades off a mistake or error for something that is correct or o.k.

They just won't give me a refund and they have dominated my Google web page with their logo. One other thing; I keep getting pop-ups, guess who? And they want to sell me more of their products and services, where do they get off?

Please advise.

Disastified Customer

St
  11th of Mar, 2009

I had popups when I was using the trial version, but they stopped when i bought the product. Now i just receive like an email update every once in awhile, nothing thats that intrusive really. Plus it works well as a product so i cant complain that they send me some adverts once in awhile, thats the way the world works these days (unfortunately).

Ge
  18th of Mar, 2009

My complaints about Whitesmoke to the technical service team never were answered. Spelling and grammar suggestions not all all accurate. I requested a refund.

Sc
  24th of Mar, 2009

I too had a mixup with my product and was able to get it fixed quickly. THey sent me the backup cd and i didnt need it so when i called and asked for the money back for that part it was put on my credit card right awya. (It was enough for me to just download it and use it online)

I felt this was good customer serivce, so i disagree. And so far its been a good product to use- espescially for gram, er.

Ru
  1st of Apr, 2009

I purchased WhiteSmok on November 2008, then realised they are not going to send any package, what was promised in their website. Thus I needed to download it from online and then I found that software needs Network connection all the time, even while my PC was connected to network, it was always complaining: “connect to network then try again” for installation. I sent more than 20 emails to WhiteSmoke customer service and all the times they have replied with the same information: “Firewall and antivirus should not be active while installing the WhiteSmok", this is just a rubbish advice as I did several times, but the software is not still running. I advice you “Do not purchase this product as it is not reliable and WhiteSmoke is just cheating you and stealing your money that is all about”. Personally I will challenge this people as they lied to me and not even refunded me. Please do not buy this product as it is rubbish and it is not going to work for you as they said in their advertisement. You will waste your time, money, and you will also get headache with all the lies what they promise to you by emailing.
Respectfully,
Ruzbe -London

To
  5th of Apr, 2009

White Smoke is a expensive scam and the company should be taken down. I purchased their 2009 upgrade in hopes that they might have improved, and could see no difference other than the user interface. The program's suggestions are more often wrong than right. WS fails to pick up Passive Voice, adverbs ending in "ly", end of sentence prepositions and too may other errors. Word has a better grammer and spell checker.
One other thing. When you purchased WS did you know that the program only works if you are connected to the internet? Did you know that you could only use this program on one computer?
My suggestion: Don't buy this software! Try RightWriter or Wizards for Words.

Eu
  27th of Apr, 2009

I bought the product and have been using it regularly for grammar and punctuation mistakes. It makes writing work emails much faster since I dont have to check it myself I can rely on the program to notice the careless errors.

And it was easy to download which is nice.

I spoke to Support when I had a question about some text and I was told to send them a sample so their R&D department could work on it. They make upgrades and updates so it seems like its an evolving product which is good :)

Al
  24th of May, 2009

I purchase the executive package and paid $152 total which included the CD and warranty. It has been almost 60 days since my purchase and still no CD or warranty. WS keeps telling me the CD is in the mail and to be patient but I am afraid they are lying! I have waited long enough and if I wait too much longer I will not be able to dispute this with my bank. I am going to request a $52 refund. I wasted my money on this product- it is not as great as they advertise it to be.

Al
  25th of May, 2009

These people at Whitesmoke are terrible to deal with. I requested the $52 refund because I never receive the $25 cd, $12.99 warranty and 14.95 for shipping. They refunded me $27.89 and didn't tell me what the refund was for. I asked them what happened to the other $23. Still waiting for a response. Another problem, in addition to the refund, has come up. The software is now telling me that I purchase a trial version and that it has expired! Unbelievable. I'm going to call them and request a refund. These people are terrible to deal with. The headache is not worth it.

Em
  7th of Jun, 2009

I am surprised to hear that WhiteSmoke has not replied to your request or that you have not received the CD.
My CD arrived, as promised, within 21 days of purchase. Cannot remember on which day. Packed nicely. Most impressed.
I needed to ask a general question and the answer was to the point and they returned my call within a few hours of leaving a message.
The price is very reasonable and they seem to offer many specials.
Haven't had to deal too much with them, but what I have had, has been great.

Da
  11th of Jun, 2009

I have to re-iterate that this is FAR from a scam.

Try it out and you will see.
WhiteSmoke has saved me.

Hehe, I'm made a2 line poem up there.

Li
  21st of Jun, 2009

Whitesmoke is probably one of the most updated English Enrichment sights that also has English Lessons, Templates that cover most subjects, and tips of the day.
I truly recommend that you try out the software.
www.whitesmoke.com

27th of Aug, 2009

Whitesmoke is amazing.

27th of Aug, 2009

I downloaded the WhiteSmoke software and have found it extremely helpful.
My messages, emails and my thesis is corrected as I type.
This is time saving and a pleasure to know that I have no mistakes.
I used to send out mails etc, after many hours of checking. That is now history and it is awesome.
The built-in templates are helpful and very broad in their choices. Something for every occasion.
I recommend the software.

Kb
  28th of Sep, 2009

I don't believe it is a scam but it's not a very useful application. Microsoft catches more errors and it comes with Word for free. I have been trying to reach them for over a week to get another download for a new computer since I ordered the extended license. They don't answer their email and nobody picks up the phone (8:00AM PDT). Maybe it is only a one man show??

I would like to find a better application but Whitesmoke has jammed up the search engines so that their name keeps coming up.

Kurt

Wy
  14th of Apr, 2010

My own experience of WhiteSmoke has generally been good, although I would like it if they improved the Grammar detection. I have also not found any use for the templates...

Many of the problems noted here have been because people didn't read the instructions carefully when installing. If you just click OK (etc.) without reading the text then it is your own fault. I selected not to install the extras offered, like the Whitesmoke toolbar, and I have had no problems.

As I said, the program could, and hopefully will, be improved, but mostly it works very well.

I reject the suggestion by one person above who recommended RightWriter. Don't. Not only did I find it quite unsuitable (it only tells you what you did wrong and offers no suggestions or replacements), but they have been ignoring my requests for a refund.

(This text was checked by WhiteSmoke).