White Oak Press-Poetry America / These two companies are total frauds!

United States, Maryland, Baltimore Review updated:
White Oak Press
2833 Smith Ave. Suite #151
Phone: 410-764-7471
Back in September 2008, my daughter submitted poetry online to see if one of her poems she'd written would be considered for publication. About one month after her submission she received an actual letter, on White Oak Press' company letterhead, stating her poem was going to be published in an Anthology series entitled "Voices-A Collection Of Short Works" to be published by Whtie Oak Press. The letter also goes on to say how they've arranged special pricing on the cost of these books in case you want to purchase bulk copies for friends, family, etc. The cost of each book was to be $24.95. They also enclosed a proof page for my daughter to make any necessary corrections to her work prior to publication. LIKE A DUMMY I helped her correct her errors and sent in a check for four copies of this "Anthology"(which, they cashed within 4 days of me mailing it) and her proof. Here it is March 2009 and she has no book to show for her efforts, and I am out $100.
Someone, somewhere should stop these scam artists. They are taking advantage of young kids, getting them to submit poems online, raising their hopes of being published. Where the poetry is going I have no idea. I have searched white oak press website (they now have a disclaimer up saying they are merely a printing company) and poetry america's website. Her work is nowhere to be found. My daughter was so thrilled with herself that she had finally made something of all her hours of writing, only to have to be told, at the tender age of 12, she's been scammed by some dishonest person/company/corporation.

I still have the acceptance letter from White Oak press in front of me. The only thing that has changed from the letter's logo to the company logo on the internet is the graphic. It used to be a green leaf. Now, well, it's a green tree. Like that's gonna stop ppl from trying to get either the books they paid for or their money back.
This letter was also signed, in blue ink, by some lady named Sheryl Howell, Senior Editor for White Oak Press.
I'm guessing she doesn't exist, either.

I am attaching to this complaint a copy of the letter sent to my daughter, at our home, on October 13, 2008.

White Oak Press-Poetry America

A  19th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
My daughter received the same letter, and I purchased 6 books for $92.90 on 9/3/2008. The phone number is no good, and they have several names. I submitted it to BBB and I guess we'll see. We need to find out how to do a class action law suit. I am sure they have a new name by now, but it probably would not be too difficult to find out what it is and where it is at.
A  26th of Mar, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I submitted a poem onlie and they sent me a letter too... but I never sent in the money... Now that I know it's a scam I don't know what to do... What's going to happen to my poem I wrote for my dead twins? How can someone do this to a person?
A  4th of May, 2009 by
I also submitted a poem and fell for the fraud. I only ordered one book, but I will gladly jump on board any class action attempt to shut these people down. I am not a teenager. My daughter actually submitted the poem, but I suppose human vanity took over when they wanted to "publish" it. It is not on the site and there is no book. Do we expect to see our poems one day published under a plagarist's name? Keep your orginal letters.