Whirlpool / washing machine - horrible

United States Review updated:

Horrible Customer Service. I purchased a washing machine in November, 2015 and my repair tech came out in March, 2018 and said that the bearings ruptured and the washing machine is unrepairable - Model WTW 5000DW1 - due to poor manufacturing. I contacted the place that I purchased it at and they directed me to Whirlpool. This is where I was told had I purchased the extended warranty, they would assist. But because they were not going to stand past the one year standard warranty and could not support their product to perform past that one year, they would not assist- shocking that they take that position on their products. I could have a repair tech out of their choice that I would pay for to be told exactly the same thing. And if I wanted to, they could sell me another item that they would not stand behind at a discounted rate - seriously! It will be a very cold day before I purchase another Whirlpool item with that type of service for the customer who paid good money for this washing machine. I was beyond amazed at the amount of excuses one organization to could provide through three different people. The talent to train their team with those horrible answers was impressive.

• Updated by spies04, Mar 06, 2018

Sp
Mar 05, 2018

Comments

• Sh
      Mar 05, 2018

With respect, you're not likely to find any consumer level appliance that comes with anything other than a one year limited warranty. It's frustrating because human nature wants to blame someone else but, if you're honest, you'll accept that Whirlpool isn't doing anything different than what was offered at the time of purchase.

What I would suggest is taking the time to shop and compare the retailers in the area based upon their extended warranty offerings. Most retailers will meet other retailer's pricing, so buy totally based upon service coverage.

By the way, that 5000 series is actually really nice.

• Sh
      Mar 06, 2018

You replied, "Thank you for the note. Yes, I would agree that Whirlpool is not obligated to extend any services. However, I did report multiple sources that this is a defect in these machines that both the repair service and the sellers of the machines are reporting. They were not willing to investigate further and basically told me I was out of luck. My other frustration is that we are no longer able to purchase items for hundreds of dollars that will maintain service for any period of time past the warranty that only results in the consumers having to purchase additional protection for more money. I understand that the complexities of electronics will impact this. However, this is not an electronic issue but rather a defect in the manufacturing of the machine which I can only hope is not a short cut that the consumers are paying for. I also do not believe Customer Service can be maintained with cards we give these team members to work from. That only fueled my anger and unfortunately, they were recipient of my frustration. We should not feel obligated to always have to purchase an extended warranty because we cannot rely on companies to support their products. I have investigated another vendor who is offering a three year warranty on their product which I find very interesting."

Appreciate hearing back from you.

I appreciate what you're suggesting, but I hope I can give you a little more insight into what we're discussing.

As you know, the WTW5000DX is a top loading, high efficient washer released by Whirlpool. One of your central concerns, I believe, is that the problem you've experienced is NOT unique to you, but one experienced by multiple other consumers. As such, you are suggesting a need for further investigation by the manufacture.

Within the world of global consumerism, and the fact that each of us have access to the internet, it would be rather rare to have an issue that wasn't also experienced by, and spoken about, other consumers. As an example, I had a flat tire the other day. Not surprisingly, other drivers of the same series of vehicle have also had a flat tire. Should that then suggest the vehicle be recalled because of a flat tire issue? Of course not. This isn't to belittle your problem. It really isn't. But anything produced can have issues. The manufacturer isn't going to spend any great amount of time concerning themselves with each issue, because there's not enough people really having the problem to suggest a defect in design or workmanship. I know that's not what the person who's having the problem wants to hear, but it is the core reality in consumerism.

As far as warranty coverage is concerned, we have to accept a couple of truths: First, not every unit coming off an assembly line will work flawlessly forever. Because of the environment it is being used within, because of the way it is being used and, sometimes, just because, a product you purchase will have issues before one might think it should. Secondly, large manufacturers know statistically what percentage of those units will have problems within a certain time frame. Through a process of statistical analysis, the manufacturer also knows an average cost to those breakdowns. They could place longer warranties on their products but that also raises the cost of each unit which, in turn, raises the cost to the consumer. Unfortunately, too often, consumers are cheap. They want to spend the least amount of money, so the manufacturer allows the retailer to price out their own extended service programs. As a consumer, we can then all decided whether additional warranty coverage is worth it to us individually. THE REAL MISTAKE IS BUYING A PRODUCT WITH A MORE LIMITED GUARANTEE AND THEN COMPLAINING WHEN ADDITIONAL COVERAGE ISN'T THROWN IN, AFTER THE FACT. It's not that you're unique in this area, but you really are finding out that, especially in this case, you really do get what you pay for.

Finally, you're suggesting a unit that comes with a three year limited warranty. There are two products that I'm aware of. One is a specific Maytag unit which also offers the same unit with a one year, limited warranty. The one year version IS IDENTICAL TO THE THREE YEAR VERSION BUT SELLS FOR SIGNIFICANTLY LESS. In fact, you can purchase the one year limited version and have enough money left over to purchase more than a five year warranty from most retailers. Also, it's important to point out that Maytag is 100% owned by Whirlpool. Buying one brand is the same as buying the other.

Also, there's the Speed Queen line. They actually have models that come with a five year limited warranty. However, as you may know, these units start out close to, if not over $1000. They're a really good option if you understand that they're a "cross-over" design meant to work more similar to older traditional models. However, here again, we see that having that longer warranty costs additional money. Because of their design, you may also find it necessary to replace your dryer, as the 5000 series dryer won't do a good job with the loads that Speed Queen puts out.

Hopefully this all helps.

Mar 08, 2018

Thank you for your review. We would like to inquire about your review with you. Please email us at [protected]@Whirlpool.com at your earliest convenience with the website you were contacted on (Complaintsboard.com), user ID# spies04, a copy of the review, your name, address, a phone number, model and serial number, and date of purchase. We look forward to your reply. Thank you, Whirlpool® Social Media