Whirlpool Hot Water Heater / brand new/doesn't work

I bought a brand new Whirlpool hot water heater on 11/15/08 at Lowes. Thinking I was buying a reliable brand, I took it home and installed it. Everything was fine for about 2 minutes, then the flame went out and wouldn't relight. After trying for 5 hours to get it to light, I went to the local hardware store and bought another brand. Installed it and it works flawlessly. When I contacted Lowes about returning it, they told me they needed an RA number to return it. When I finally got ahold of someone at Whirlpool, they said that since it was installed they couldn't give me my money back. I think this is a bunch of BS. Google Whirlpool hot water heater lawsuit and see what comes up. Their product isn't worth the materials they are made from.

Ma

Comments

• Ns
      28th of Dec, 2008

I bought my Whirlpool 30 gallon gas water heater at Lowe's in November, 2007. It worked a little over a year and has had the same problem: the flame will not stay lit. My husband I has already spent several hours trying to repair it, at Christmas with family company.
    They told me at Lowe's that I needed a complete repair kit, that that had fixed all the ones that needed repaired. It did not work. The next one I buy will not be a Whirlpool nor will it be at Lowe's. If there is a problem with a certain hot water heater then why do they continue to sell it? I was told that at one point Whirlpool pulled the left threading thermocouples from the stores and people had to wait several extra days to get the replacement from the company.
    My husband thinks he now knows what is wrong and will try to repair it.

• Gr
      3rd of Aug, 2009
    Whirlpool Hot Water Heater - never have hot water
    lowes
    Ohio

you can't buy thermocouplers when they go bad. had to have a new conversion kit sent to us because they knew it was bad. now we have to have another piece sent to us. so every time we need hot water we have to go light it and wait for the hot water to heat then turn it off so the gas doesn't leak. we will NEVER buy a whirlpool heater again.