Whirlpool / combination wall oven & microwave

My Whirlpool Gold combination wall oven & microwave stopped working after two years of ownership. When trying to operate the oven or microwave, the unit beeps three times and the display shows "feature not available". In short, the unit is just a really expensive clock right now. A service technician said the control board and a few other items need to be replaced at a cost of $1200. Whirlpool customer service said they could send another technician to look at the unit, but I'd be responsible for all the repair costs or purchase of replacement unit. I've been a loyal customer and also own a Whirlpool refrigerator, stove, and dishwasher in addition to my (broken) oven/microwave. Clearly customer loyalty does not rank high on Whirlpool's list of priorities.

Whirlpool Corporation Customer Care's Response, Nov 15, 2017

Hi, my name is Melanie, and I am contacting you on behalf of Whirlpool Corporation. We would like this opportunity to address your concerns. Please provide your name, user ID (talt01), address, phone number, model with serial number, and website you were contacted on (ComplaintsBoard). Email to Whirlpool_Digital@whirlpool.com, and we would review your concerns with you.

Ta
Nov 14, 2017

Comments

Sh
  14th of Nov, 2017

The issue I think you're referring to its warranty coverage. Whirlpool makes quality products but even quality products can break.

To keep their products competitively priced, Whirlpool provides a one year-limited warranty with most of their units. This is generally the same as most manufacturers. The good news is that the retailer you purchased the merchandise through may likely have offered additional warranty coverage. If you'll contact them, even if you elected to not purchase additional coverage, they may likely be able to help.

You'll hopefully be up and running for Thanksgiving.