Western General / Unreal denial!

1 CA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 800-242-9442

I purchased a 2002 BMW 330xi two weeks ago from APPLE BMW of York. I also purchased the Western General extended warranty for 2.2k. The materials had a picture of a car and examples of prices for things covered under the warranty. One of the items was a fuel pump with the example price of $450. (Important later). So, I took my car into the dealership for service because something was wrong with the fuel gauge. I received a call from the dealership that the fuel sending units were bad and needed replaced. So, they called Western General to get approval. I get a call from the dealership that they denied the claim because that 'part' was not covered. Yet, this 'part' is in the fuel pump, and in order to fix this part, the fuel pump needs replaced. I called Western General myself to see if i could get someone to explain this. I had Jerry on the phone from Western General. He was so uninformative and unhelpful that it took everything in me to not hang up the phone. He explained that because that 'part' was not listed on the contract, that they do not have to pay for it. Anyone with some basic awareness would know that almost everything has 'parts' to it. That by adding the 'parts', you get a whole. If a fuel pump is covered, and any one of the parts of the fuel pump goes, Western General says too bad for you, its not covered. Jerry repeated this to me, "fuel pumps are covered, the parts are not." So i am stuck with this worthless 2k Warranty that covers nothing from Western General. Please take my advice, and DO NOT BUY ANYTHING RELATED TO WESTERN GENERAL. DO NOT MAKE THE 2k MISTAKE I MADE. DO NOT BUY WESTERN GENERAL EXTENDED WARRANTY.

Comments

• Ro
      23rd of Jul, 2008

I agree to some extent with your frustration. However most service contracts as with any insurance contracts have exceptions. Depending on the reading of your contract it should have an area called "what is not covered" or what is specifically covered and have a detailed explanation. Regrettably, your service provider is probably in the right. While the componet that failed is part of the fuel pump, its function doesnt directly relate to the fuel pumps function. For example, it sounds like the level sensor on the fuel pump, which relates directly to your fuel gauge reading the amount of fuel may have failed, while the actual fuel pump (delivery fuel) may still be fine. The level sensor itself may not be covered, regardless of the fact that it isnt serviced seperatly on your vehicle. Keep in mind not all vehicles are designed the same. Hope that helps a little.

• Ml
      6th of May, 2010

The very same thing has happened to me. I purchased a 2006 BMW 750Li in September 2006 and I took my car to the dealer because my fuel gauge was not working properly. I too purchased a contract. but mine was $3, 195. The Manager in California, Mr. Hennington told me the exact same thing. I guess they are programmed to say this. My left and right sending units need replacing and I agree it should be covered. The brochure that I was given from the dealer indicates this is a covered part, but the contract does not. I feel Western General is conducting fradulent business practices and need to be stopped.