Western Digital / External Hard Drive

I purchased a 500GB external MyBook hard drive on 1/11/2007 and it recently broke. The drive does not show up on my computer. 3 months ago it went in to fits where the drive was only recognized sometimes. I would have to reboot my computer or the drive for it to show up. Now it does not show up at all and makes loud clicking sounds when turned on.

I called support and because it's out of the 1 year warranty I'm out of luck. Also, I'm now out the $250 I spent on it!!! For that price I think customers should expect better quality from WD. This is totally not acceptable.

I was also informed that I will have to shell out MORE money to get my data off of the hard drive. Thanks WD, your product was absolutely worthless to me. I will NEVER purchase another product from you nor will my company.

This is the WORST computer product I have ever purchased. For the price you would think there would be quality behind the product. I guess not.

Comments

17th of Dec, 2008

I bought a MyBook Premium ES 500 GB on 07/24/07 and it just crapped out today. Same clicking noise which according to WD's website means the drive is dead ... after only 17 mths. What is the point of saving your data on a hard drive that doesn't last any amount of time. I don't think I've ever had any electronic device that stopped working in such short of a time. Piece of junk ... I will never buy Western Digital products again!!!

• So
      18th of Dec, 2008

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau (BBB), which was sent along to Western Digital. After a few emails they renewed my warranty and I generated a RMA. They said they would replace it with a new one for free.

I sent it back and its in process, but nothing yet. I hope they honor it, but I have my doubts becuase I took the HD to a local computer repair shop to see if they could recover the data. They couldn't and I lost everything. When they gave it back to me they gave me a bag with some screws and other junk in it. They said it was extreamly hard to open it up and put it all back together. So I hope WD doesn't say becuase it was taken apart my new warranty is void.

I'll take a replacement for free, but I still will never buy another HD from WD again. I suggest you file a complaint with the BBB. At least you"ll a get a new one and won't thrown all that money away.

• Ol
      16th of Sep, 2009

I had the same problem in about less than a year, and now I lost all of the information I saved on WD. Waste of money, and nerves when you call WD Customer Service.

• Ar
      21st of Oct, 2009

I found my 320gb WD Hard Drive stopped being recognized by windows XP. After several attempts at plugging in at several locations and in two other computers I consulted with my computer geek. He suggested powering up with another power supply. I had a matching supply from another WD external drive and everything worked perfectly. I contacted Western Digital only to find the power supply discontinued and no options offered. What is their policy of support if its broken buy new? I wonder how many people have thought their drive lost when it is only the power supply that failed. I found prices for online replacement from $6 to $180 and many were used or remanfactured.

• Ni
      24th of Jan, 2011

HANGING OF HARD DISK

• Ni
      24th of Jan, 2011

I purchased a 500GB external MyBook hard drive on 12/09/2010 and it recently broke. The drive does not show up on my computer. 3 months ago it went in to fits where the drive was only recognized sometimes. I would have to reboot my computer or the drive for it to show up. Now it does not show...

• Vi
      15th of Jan, 2012

i have registered my external hard drive for warranty replacement .
    but inspite of registering twice still no one has come to pick up the defected drive
    is this the service wd is giving to the costumer
    my RMA NO. IS 83303873.
    AND IF YOU COULD NOT REPLACE THE DRIVE THEN BETTER INFORM THE USERS...
    ITS HIGHLY UN CONVINIENT FOR THEM TO KEEP WAITING

• Mu
      15th of Jan, 2012

my harddisk is not working

• Sh
      30th of Sep, 2012

Dear Sir,
    My 2TB WD hard disk is not working. when i switch on the power the light is coming but after 1 minute the light is disappearing before the computer detect the hard disk. please help.

• Vi
      3rd of Jun, 2016
    Western Digital - hdd making noises and not working properly
    D.B.Corp ltd.
    India
    vidit@dainikbhaskargroup.com

i have purchase a heard disk 160 GB IDE from MP., Bhopal, MP nagar, and that heard disk is not ditact in my office, so in that condition i want to replace this HD. from directly company.

• Aa
      3rd of Jun, 2016
    Western Digital - hdd making noises and not working properly
    akash..
    gurdaspur
    India

I am having a wd inteernal 500 gb hdd which i bought 6 months ago. Today when i switched on pc, it satrted normally, but after that hdd started making wiered noises and stopped working. I restarted my pc but the same problem was there. So i took my hdd to the vendor, and when he connected to his PC, it was working fine. So he refused to send it for replacement. But when i came back to home and attached it to my pc, same sound started coming. Sometimes its working and sometimes, its not working. I dont know what to do...Kindly help

• Je
      16th of Jun, 2016

I sent a broken external hard disk which was under warranty to WD and received a substitute hard disk, but when I just opened the box, it had a broken "warranty void if seal tempered" sticker inside.
    I already put time, energy en costs in returning the previous, broken, product under warranty and now I received a product which I cannot trust because the warranty is void?? To me this not qualify as good service. I will have to look out for another brand. Not good