Western Career College / Discrimination

1 San Jose, CA, United States Review updated:

I WAS going to enroll to this college, but it is very expensive and they treat students very bad, they hook you then make you suffer, all in your dollar.
There are other colleges that are cerfificated and want to help you get ahead, this school makes pray of unsuspected
students, and just STEAL YOUR TIME & MONEY who needs that, Specially now in this dificult times.
So before you enroll make sure that there are other options out there.

I am Glad that I did and will not go there don't let the TV commercials fool you.

End of story.

Comments

• Wc
      30th of Mar, 2009

I did enroll and I am very sorry I did. Your assesment of the school is correct. This is my story:

I attended the Dental Assiting Program from Sept 2008 to May 2009. I am not at all happy with this college and its program ethics.

The recruiters are, of course, very helpful and nice. However, once you are committed and start the program, all communication is shut down. From the receptionist at the front desk, to the career services dept, all are usually not available when you need them.

A word of caution. As a dental assistant student, you need to recruit your own patients to practice your techniques. In other words you need 4 different people willing to come in for x-rays that meet a certain criteria, and 3 more to come in for a coronal polish. They DO NOT tell you this at the beginnning and IT IS REQUIRED to graduate.

Another problem they do not reveal at the beginning is that you MUST complete a career booklet in order to graduate that IS NOT related to your field of study. It is purely a "how to know yourself to get a job" type of assignment. It is a completely ridiculous, but very time consuming booklet that IS REQUIRED. They do not tell you how to do the booklet and it is extremely difficult to figure out how to turn it in as there are many contradictory errors in assignments. The booklet is very badly put together. The career services instructer, Yvette, that gives you the booklet, just rants and raves about how good she is at her job during the seminar and does not instruct you on how to finish the booklet. She is only interested in promoting herself.

Also the instructor that I experienced in my program for dental assisting didn't have enough workable knowledge of how to teach the program properly. She didn't even know how to pronounce the word epiglotis properly! And we have spelling and terminology tests 3 times per week! Also she was very inconsistent with her assignment instructions and changed her mind frequently on matters pertaining to turning in assignments and when tests were scheduled. In other words, you never knew what to expect.

I really felt that my $16, 000 could have been put to better use at another college. If I knew then what I know now about this college, I would have NEVER applied.

My advice to anyone considering Western Career College in Pleasant Hill is to NOT APPLY! It is an extreme waste of your, or your parents hard earned money.

4th of Aug, 2010

I graduated from Western Career College back in 1994 in Medical Assistant. Back then, the school was much better and I did quite well for myself. However, the school only cost $5, 500 back then. What I do not understand is: why would someone pay $26, 000 to enroll in an ultrasound technology program that IS NOT ACCREDITED! I mean, does anybody ever do any research on these programs before signing a contract for $26, 000? You guys have the Internet, for God sake. So, it is not like you have to leave your house to research the school.

Before I enrolled in Western Career College, this is what I did. I CALLED HOSPITALS AND ASKED THEM, "I am considering enrolling into Western Career College, Would you hire a graduate from this school? Have you hired graduates from this school and were you happy with the results? Would I need any form of certification to be hired in your center. Thank you very much for the help." IT IS THAT SIMPLE PEOPLE.

I have been scammed before (credit offer with a $250 dollar up-front payment. I lost the $250) and I think it sucks for hard working people to be scammed out of their money, especially in a recession. But come on, you really have no one to blame but yourselves. To spend $16, 000-$26, 000 on the promise of a salesman and a brochure, without verifying any of it by calling hospitals or researching it on the Internet was just lazy on your part. I hope it is a lesson learned.

• Sj
      13th of Dec, 2010

i just enrolled a few days ago at carrington, and im still going back and forth about actually going there because this is ALOT of money for something that may or may not benefit me finacialy. ive done the research on the web about complaints and im starting to back out. the representative at the college talked to me about how i would have to put in my all and he made it seemed like i will get through it as long as i attend school and do my best. oh! and that hes not getting any "bonuses" for helping us out, that right there set off an alarm because i was thinking hes so full of BS i know! hes getting something out of this for sure...anyways just putting in my thought because im a mom and im trying to give my son the life that i didnt have and i want to set a good example and the last thing i want to hsve is getting into debt