West Elm- STINKY WOOL RUGsmelly rug and horrible customer service

I purchased a gorgeous 8x10 wool rug from West Elm about 3 1/2 or 4 years ago. The rug was tufted wool made in India and it was $599 (SKU number 9188905, Ayo rug in slate gray). The rug was great for the first couple of years in our living room. We moved it to our daughter's room and started noticing a funny smell like burned rubber. After realizing that the smell was not caused by anything our daughter had done, we discovered the smell was coming from the back of the rug. We tried everything- Febreeze, baking soda, perfume- the smell would not go away! We moved it into the guest bedroom because it was a larger room and hopefully more ventilated. The rug still reeked! So now we have rolled it up and put it in the garage- and now the garage smells like burned rubber! I've done a lot of research since then and I have discovered that this is a BIG problem with rugs from West Elm and Pottery Barn. They buy certain rugs from cheap manufacturers (although the $600 price was NOT cheap to me- I thought I was getting a quality rug). All is well with the rug for a year- maybe three or four and then the latex backing begins to degrade and give off a VERY noxious odor. This is through no fault of the owner- please know that I am a total clean freak! No pets, no small children, the rug is in terrific shape other than the horrible rubber smell coming from the back. I had NO luck with customer service- they keep asking for a receipt or purchase date. Who saves receipts from a rug they bought that long ago? Or who can nail down the exact date of purchase? PLEASE avoid buying rugs from this company- they refuse to admit they are selling a faulty product. The rug is worthless now and I am out $600.

Su