WES - World Education Services / proven misconduct and complete incompetence

PO Box 745 Old Chelsea Stat, United States Review updated:

I am a Lecturer in a College of the CUNY, in NEw York. I was adressed by their HR to have my University Degree translated and turned into American Academic standards. Eversince I have been dealing with WES it has been a hell for me. I paid them 229 US dollars, I sent the required documents. Eversince it has become more and more absurd. They expect that my What follows is an extract from an email I sent them in November:

I just received an email from you. I am surprised by what you are asking. you attached a document (in english) that my University shoud fill in.
Here is my response to you:
- first of all, how can you expect that people at my former University in Italy will read and fill a document in a foreign language?
- Like I already said to you before, italian bureaucracy requests to attach expensive stamps to the Degree, and the University doesn't go and buy it, for a former student or for nobody. I should be there myself and do it in person, which is impossible, since I am in New York.
I already sent an original of my degree you should receive soon.
Your attitude on the whole has been unprofessional.
Your toll free number doesnt' work, there is no way to talk to someone of your staff.
At the college where I am working, they wonder why is taking so long.
Your service is poor and disfunctional. I already addressed you these same issues but you never wrote back.

Finally I travelled back to Italy and had my former University send the required document. When they received they sent two mails in the arch of... 20 minutes. The first sayd that they received the document (University Degree). The second says that the document is not clear, or better that they need to find in it the words that they can only expect to find otherwise they don't process. They basically brought me back to the start.

I am starting a lawsuit against them, and I would like to turn it into a class action. I already emailed some of the other people who complained about WES. Please let's all join in this action in order to overcome and have our rights respected.

Comments

• We
      Jan 31, 2011

World Education Services is very sorry for Anton's disappointing experience with our organization. For more than 35 years, WES has strived to provide excellent service and to make the application process work as smoothly as possible. We are always looking for ways to improve the application experience which serves more than 50, 000 applicants each year. We will certainly use this feedback to do better and we promise to work harder to improve our processes.

• Un
      Feb 11, 2011

WES is a terrorist organization in my book.

They will give you so much BS, they have this attitude of not taking responsibility for anything. It must be in English, AND the school must provide them with documentation, even when you send them originals, they still want it form teh school, they have made lots of people go back to their country of origin just to mail the same documents they had all along. Schools elsewhere do not recognize foeign entities to begin with (these are national university systems, not private schools like the US). How the US school system issues student credentials to outside entities is questionable in itself.
    Essentially, these are foreign governments, who do not deal with foreign private entities, reasons we came to WES for help.
    For an institution that specializes itself on foreign evaluation, it has NO CLUE of foreign business whatsoever. Actually, I doubt that most of their staff has ever set foot in a foreign country.
    Yeah, I hear you loud about that 800 number. When some live warm body bothers to comes to the phone, they are of either of two types. 1- clueless, one might as well be talking to an aswering machine. 2- they lecture you and think they are right and you dumb foreigner just don't get it kind of attitude.
    As for the evaluation itself, they cannot understand that a 14/20 grade is an A+ grade in most countries. To get an A equivalent, one would need 20/20 grades, which simply does not exist in most places.

• De
      Sep 27, 2011

I also had a very bad experience with WES. in 2008 I sent my application for WES to evaluate a foreign medical degree. They recieved all the necessary documents and in about a month they finished my evaluation. When I recieved it I did not notice anything wrong especially the area where it states US equivalency. But my employer noticed it late and told me about it. On their evaluation they gave me the US equivalency as " professional studies in medicine" . I was told by my employer this is not good because it hints that I did not get a medical degree, It can mean the studies were premed since they did not specify a degree. I asked them to review it and consider changing it to " professional degree in medicine". This has been going on for over a year now and they are not talking about it. they simply tell me to accept their version as it is correct and not to ask questions. I have a right to know why. I have freinds who went to the same school as me and they have " degree" on their WES. I also have a BS in biology from USA. I don't recomment anyone going with WES. there are other companies out there that are more precise and accurate, helpful. I can't believe they will not talk to me. I am looking to sue for my right. where do we go to complian? no one oversees them, they are free to do what they want.

• Gf
      Feb 27, 2012

has anyone had a favorable WES review on their foreign medical school credentials as foreign doctors?

• Hi
      Jul 30, 2013

PLEASE I am desperate right any other company that doesn't ask for documents to come directly from the school you attended
    wes charged me money already over 160 dollars and are asking for documents to come from my school in mexico in an official envelope

• Hi
      Jul 30, 2013

Antyhork1 HAVE YOU SUED THEM ALREADY?