WES World Education Services / dishonest, incorrect report, can't reach real people to talk to, missing information, nasty customer service

United States Review updated:

World Education Services (WES) is simply DISHONEST, they just squeeze you for money, and their reports are a scam. Any institution that use their services needs to know that they are not reliable.

My report came with unacceptable mistakes, amongst other things:

a) From the two degrees I sent to be evaluated, just one made it to the evaluation.
b) A six year program of study came back listed as a one year program, and, according to them, equivalent to "one semester of undergraduate studies"
c) They listed a class that was incorrect (read: incorrect language)
d) They arbitrarily assigned different number of credits to the different classes

After receiving the "evaluation report" I wrote a letter, detailing all the information that was missing, all that was incorrect, I provided information, and I asked questions. NONE OF THESE WERE ADDRESSED! They sent me a nasty letter, with NO signature (just like the report), not a single contact information, nothing.

In order to address point a), they responded "We do not evaluate diplomas from _____ (institution)"----They should have mentioned that BEFORE I sent in all the papers, when I sent the preliminary forms.

b) From what they say in their letter about point b), it is clear that they have NO IDEA ABOUT THE PROGRAM. (BTW, as I said above, for a SIX YEAR study program they assigned "one semester of undergraduate studies")

c) HUGE mistake, they did not apologize for this, nor did they address it in their letter

d) Questions remain unanswered

WES DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING- they don't mention their sources, they just say "WES has accumulated information on thousands of institutions" (quoted from their website), but they don't list sources.

There is not a published list of institutions they prepare evaluations for, therefore people doesn't know if their credentials will be evaluated or not. BUT, OF COURSE, YOU HAVE TO PAY FIRST! That is dishonest.

They are secretive, impossible to reach, their evaluations (as well as any other piece of communication) are not signed, everything around them is unreliable and not serious.

Some more? read below:

1. Their only office is in New York, all of the other addresses are "marketing addresses" (I am quoting the representative that picked up the phone at another "location")-- Ah, and the address in NY is a P.O. Box, you cannot walk in and talk to a person.

2. They don't pick up the phones, the waiting time is always between 20-40 minutes

3. Their "leave your number, we'll call you back" option doesn't work (you keep pressing number 1 and it just NEVER gets you to the voicemail)

4. If you ever get to talk to a person (I waited over 40 min) they just repeat they "can't give you any information", that you have to contact them in writing. I did that, you can read above.

Comments

Nov 24, 2009

So sorry you went through this. i'm trying to get my money back right now. What a nightmare. The NY Better Business Bureau has handled 129 complaints about WES in just 3 months, and for any business what makes it to the BBB is the tip of the iceburg.

They are a "Nonprofit" raking in $10m+ per year on this credentials business. Their CEO gets about $250k. They look pretty for profit to me.

If anyone else is having problems you might get a resolution by complaining to the Better Business Bureau who seem to have resolved some of the complaints:

(check out WES's BBB file here:
    http://www.bbb.org/new-york-city/business-reviews/educational-consultants/world-education-services-inc-in-new-york-ny-9023/ )

also complain here to New York Attorney General Charities Division;

You can also post a review of them as a charity on the GuideStar database which is an important nonprofit reference, taken seriously by funders and nonprofit researchers:

• Ra
      Feb 05, 2010

OMG That is just horrible to hear :(, i thought it's the most reliable place to evaluate my Bachelor's, Thank God i thought to check for reviews first, now i don't trust them, any idea where should i have my degree evaluate?

• Sh
      Aug 31, 2010

Thanks for info as i am intending to send my medical Bachelor degree and my master degree in medicine for evaluation

so what is the reliable institution for evaluation?

i was thinking off course in wes but I absolutely agree with you, there is no body at all picks the phone

and via email they are so delayed and so rude

so i was thinking in iref but also i found many complaints

please advice about the trusted people for evaluating my professional medical degree

• Fo
      Jun 09, 2011

I completely agree to what all of them are saying.I exactly had the same situation . I sent my documents.they rejected all my original documents without giving me any satisfactory reason.I hate it

• Th
      May 12, 2012

I contacted company and never heard back from them, I guess they don't want my business. I am so lucky!

• Pa
      May 21, 2013

Their website is horrendous - it reminds me of low budget airlines wanting to squeeze every dollar out of you through tricks. When I finally received my order report, it takes you immediately to the page to order a report (making you think you haven't ordered/paid for one) and thus make them more money. It is designed to make you confused and pay them more money, at every opportunity they want you to "upgrade" the report. to a higher more expensive level (just like airlines wanting you to pay for seats or more baggage).

Altogether a not so great experience. It really is a huge money-making venture, I have spent nearly $400 getting all my transcripts to them!