Wes Staub Agency / Bait and switch tactics

I received a flyer in the mail from Wes Staub Allstate Insurance Agency in Garland, Texas. The flyer was touting the fact that they could get my annual homeowner’s insurance premium down to $529 per year with the replacement cost of my house at $151k. The exact words in very large type were “Your Annual Premium Rate Estimate - $529.27.” There was a disclaimer in tiny, almost unreadable print at the bottom stating this may not be the actual rate.

As I am currently paying $852 per year, this sounded too good to be true. I called the agency on 03-13-09 and spoke to a girl named Daisy. I gave her my information and she said she would get together an exact quote and call me back. When she called back, she said my annual rate would be $1206 per year with a replacement cost of my house at only $149k.

I asked her what happened to the $529 per year rate it stated on their flyer. She said that was just an estimate. So the actual quote was over twice the amount of the “estimate” quoted on the flyer. I spoke to owner Wes Staub and told him this was a bait-and-switch tactic and was dishonest. He defended his advertising practice of luring potential customers into calling him with this deceptive advertising by saying “I get some business off these flyers.”

I told him this bait-and-switch advertising was dishonest and that they are intentionally misleading people into calling them by advertising a very low rate and then switching them to the real rate for their homeowner’s policy. Wes Staub was adamant about this business practice as being something that was acceptable to do.

I will be filing a compliant for deceptive advertising with the Texas State Board of Insurance and any other agencies I can think of. I would advise anyone not to do business with the Wes Staub Allstate Insurance Agency as Wes obviously feels it is OK to use the bait-and-switch on unsuspecting homeowners.

Fr

Comments

• Eh
      30th of Jun, 2009

I've done business with the Wes Staub agency for several years. They were able to get my home owners insurance down below what was first 'estimated'.
    My only thought is the person that wrote the above compliant may have had horrible payment history or something like that to make the rate so high. Since most insurance companies now include payment history and credit rating as part of the formula used to come up with the rates that is a fairly logical assumption.

Overall I've found Wes to be extremely honest and up front about everything I've ever dealt with him in.

• Wi
      16th of Jul, 2009

Sounds to me like Wes came back and put in the second comment above himself to try and offset the first real comment above. I too received one of Wes's flyers in the mail showing a rate of $596.37 for my home valued at $149, 000. I too was going to call Wes until I started doing some research before I did. Boy am I glad I did !!! Now I won't get baited and switched like the first guy above.

• Eh
      22nd of Jul, 2009

Sounds to me like Frencis came back and posted another comment - or "wise shopper" is so close minded that they probably wouldnt do business with anyone. And honestly, if I were Wes (which I'm not) I wouldnt want "wise shopper" as a client.

Be honest - anyone taking such a negitive review at face value and not even asking for a free evaluation is not very "wise" anyway.

• Ga
      27th of Aug, 2010

I received a flyer in the mail. Note there is an astrik that says its an "estimate" and not an exact quote. I called to see what all the hype was about, and they told me it was best case scenerio. I decided to get a quote anyway and it came way cheaper than what I pay now, (even though it was higher than the intial estimate).

The only complaint I have is just the price of insurance in general.