Wendys / treating employees unfairly

1 Perry Hall, MD, United States Review updated:

I am a current wendys employee and I believe that some of our employees are being treated unfairly... First of all, me. I was tld to slice tomatoes one night at about 830 pm for the next morning and I wasnt even nicely asked she just told me I had to and I was in the middle of doing other things so I told her that I wasnt going to to them because I was in the middle of doing things night shift is supposed to do and I didnt feel it was right for me to have to do morning crews job when I wasnt morning crew so my manager sent me home.2 days later I called out because I am pregnant and was having stomach pains and needed to see a doc so she cut my hours for the next 2 weeks... When I told the manager above her she just agreed and said I should have listened to my manager on shift... Then next 2 times I worked w// the manager who sent me home she made comments abut how she would make me slice tomatoes one night... So I asked her for corporates number and she told me she wont give it to me because she will get in trouble which tells me it is against policy to slice tomatoes the night before so why am I being penelized for not doing something that I am not supposed to do in the first place...

Thats me but there is also a girl I work with who gets 5 hrs a week but wants more and they tell her there are too many people workin to give her more hrs but they hire new employees! She is now being told she doesnt get her hrs because she doesnt do gher job right (No one ever trained her properly to give her a chance) so then she got more hrs next weekend they gave her 4 to close and 5 to close this weekend she asked a fellow employee if she could take her shift the manager on shift ok'd it but as soon as the manager who writes schedule found out she took one of next weeks days away

Please some one tell me what we can do about all this!

Comments

• Al
      28th of Aug, 2007

I ordered a Frescata chicken sandwich in a combo which was over five dollars, for my lunch. When I sat down to eat my sandwich I noticed that they did not remove the tomato as I asked when I ordered. I removed the tomato to find that my lettuce has dirt all over and in the creases of the lettuce. I was so angry and discussed that I lost my appetite. As I began to throw my bag away I noticed the web site and decided we should all know what our restaurants are serving to us.

• Cr
      9th of Aug, 2017

@Alisa i work grill/maintenance from 7 am - 3 pm in the morning. i can attest that the statements above are true. i called off for tomorrow due to stomach troubles. i wonder when they will wake me with a phone call tomorrow morning. i wonder how fast i will rush to the bathroom after waking and ignoring the phone call...

• Kr
      8th of Sep, 2007
    Wendys - Poor service!

I went to Wendys in Chester S.C. on JA Cochran bypass and ordered nuggets and a baked potato among other things. The lady asked me about my condiments and i let her know i needed bbq sauce and butter and sour cream. None of these things were in my bag so i waited, I told her what she left out and she gave it to me with an attitude. When we got home to eat we realized several items were missing. When I went back to get my food that should've already been in my bag, the drive thru girl cussed at me and popped off. Then the other workers surrounded her as if to join her in what she was saying. I was not deterred one bit being that this was my second trip to get food that i had paid for the first time. The girl at the front counter proceeded to tell me how "I don't want this" as if to intimidate me. Well I told her that they didn't want none of this. The attitude and utter rudeness of the youth and ignorant working in the fast food industry is unbelievable. I don't understand how so many lazy, no good for anything people are put into jobs where they are forced to interact with the public. I know Wendys is a big corporation and does'nt need my buck to survive. I quit eating at McDonalds a few months ago because they didn't care about me or my food. Sloppy service, food and eating area were the cause of that. I guess I will have to add Wendys to my list of big corporations with lack of regards to customer happiness or good service. The head cashier in this Wendys had the nerve to say that no one could get their food the way they wanted it anymore. This came straight from her mouth and I took it straight to heart. Screw Wendys in Chester South Carolina for sure!

9th of May, 2018

@Krystal Inman Blanchett These young employees think they can just do what they please, not listen to the managers instructions and have nasty attitudes towards customers, go home when their stomach hurts or whatever and that's the reason there's such turn over at the fast food places. Their rude and most are ignorant to the needs of anyone besides themselves and their own needs.
    Speak to the manager and if there's not there (that's part of the problem to me) get on the web and message right straight to the corporate site about your issues. One fast food place sent me a lot of coupons due to my trouble and rudeness and wrong orders from this new breed of "do nothings"...

• Ra
      30th of Jun, 2018

@do Nothings I am a customer of fast food establishments as well as a shift manager of the wendy's corporation. whereas I agree with a lot of the complaints i've read I have to say that it's not a one way street! we deal with customers on a daily basis that cover the spectrum of rude and downright abusive.in addition to being the bottom rung of a corporate ladder who constantly want you to cut labor hours and get customers through quicker. i've never been rude to a customer but have been called rude and had stuff thrown at me simply because they were dissatisfied with something minute that I have no control over. I was called a [censored] because a customer thought it was too cold in the dining room, even though I agreed with him and explained that we can't control that in the store as it is controlled by the corporate office. i've been called a rude [censored] for not laughing at a customers racial joke and for not being able to defy physics and provide a customer the 24 spicy chicken sandwiches in the same time it takes to make one. (we have limitations on our cooking devices and cook times to abide by) I admit that there are rude employees, everywhere in fact, but in my experience and field a lot of them have become that way over time, in the fast food industry. at best, they've become calloused to customer complaints after being treated like a whipping boy to some people's egos. i'm not defending the customer service industry as a whole, as some incidents are uncalled for and unprofessional. i'm simply trying to remind people that we are people too! sometimes we do make mistakes. we work in a very fast paced, high stress, understaffed, underpaid environment, doing our best to cater to policy, expectations and differing customer psyche's. sometimes, it would be nice if a customer would treat us the same way they expect to be treated because they are human too and we all get stressed, tired, and feel unappreciated and sometimes let it affect our mood or find it hard to fake being perky after 10 hours. sometimes, what a customer perceives as rude is just another person trying to do their job by corporate standards and have no energy left to ego stroke. our goal is to get you good, accurate food in a timely manner. if you expect to be appeased other than that then you may be looking to serve your ego more than your stomach because the bar for rudeness is relative. everybody is offended differently and we are paid based on the logistics of the business not the psychological outcome. hence, the reason nobody is actually reprimanded if they are legitimately rude... if they show up, do a good job, help to promote profit by those standards, then they are considered valuable. on the other hand, an employee or manager that absolutely pleases customers in lieu of profit protocol is considered expendable. there are so many people in the world these days that corporations view the customer with the same regard as the employee... a body!!! replaceable! if we all follow the golden rule then we would be satisfied in role as customer or customer service employee.

• Oh
      14th of Jul, 2018

@do Nothings Fast food employees are worked up to 10 hours shifts with no breaks and are told to do jobs that aren't their responsibility. I'd be cranky too! Sometimes you have to take any job you can get even if it's dealing with customers like you.

• Je
      27th of Sep, 2007

Visited the new Wendys on Boardwalk in Lexington Kentucky. I have nothing against spanish culture but I believe that if someone is going to work in the public they should be able to speak the language. I could not even get ketchup with my meal and the manager could not understand my request.

• Ri
      3rd of Mar, 2008
    Wendy's - Poor service!
    Wendy's
    Briar Creek
    Raleigh
    North Carolina

My wife and I were in line and ordered food for us and our 3 kids. When giving order for the kids. The young lady, and lady is being very kind. Said what the total was. I told her that my wife and I were eating as well. She replies what do u want? Once we gave her our order, we stood there for 20-25 min waiting. I heard her telling the manager she was leaving, that they knew she was leaving. She left in the middle of making our drinks and gave us some fries. I asked the manager what the hold up was, he said what hold up ? I said on our food. He said I thought u just got it. I said no, all we got were 2 small fries and thats it. He started saying I cant believe this girl. Telling others what she did. How ever never tried making right with us. We finally got our food. He said that she should have been fired by now but the GM apparently is fooled by her. That she has had plenty of write ups. He replied that her name was Nicole Scott and I could report her. Well, I just thank the whole thing stunk. I tried looking up the ph# but could find. Cause I would have loved to share my true feelings with the GM.

@Ricky Text or Call Us:

Well it looks like you scored our number. WENDY"S 888.624.8140...Feel free to give us a text or a call with any questions, comments or concerns. We're here for ya!

• Bw
      18th of May, 2008

You stupid fool. You cant spell worth ###.

Heres a tip for you: YOU DONT PUT PERIODS IN THE MIDDLE OF A SENTENCE TO BREAK IT UP.

EXAMPLE OF WHAT NOT TO DO: So. Today I went to see Shannon. And she was looking beautiful.

STUPID ###!

And I highly doubt that you waited for 20-25 minutes without making a scene and acting so calm.

IDIOT.

• St
      2nd of Jan, 2018

@bWES Wow real class. Calling someone names because of errors in their post. Really classy [censor]. This is not the place for this, stay on Facebook if that's the way you want to treat people. Wow.

• St
      2nd of Jan, 2018

And you're a [censor].

9th of May, 2018

@bWES You're the fool. This isn't a spelling lessons [censored] it's about bad food service. DUH!

• Ju
      17th of Jun, 2008

How can you judge a huge corporation on one store? Just dont go back to that store.

3rd of Jan, 2009

Well, I'm with the manager on this one, she should've finished getting your order out before she left. I don't see why the manager should have to worry about an order he didn't take.

9th of May, 2018

@Anon You're the manager it's your "responsibility" to make sure things run smoothly and correctly.

• We
      15th of Jan, 2009

WOW! That is pretty crappy! I can honestly say if ANY of my employees ever speak to a customer like that and I hear it you can be rest assured their ### will be fired! That is entirely unacceptable..

• We
      15th of Jan, 2009

Well Anon as wrong as the employee was it is a manager's job to worry about everything in the store...trust me I know

• Sp
      2nd of Apr, 2009

i read ur story and sounds like the same over here. my store managers cut peoples hours and hire more people. whats funny is that there's people who work hard for a living and just because he doesn't like them he'll hire other people who are lazy and give them more hours just because they kiss up to him.

27th of Apr, 2009
    Best Best Advice +4 Votes

i just started working at wendy's about 3 weeks ago and everything was going fine...a couple days into my first days of work i started noticing little things that annoyed me..In the employee handbook it states that we get a 30 minute lunch break and a 10 min break for every 4 hour shift worked. So I asked my manager about 4 hours into my shift if i could take my 10 minute break and she said no i only get a 30 minute break...i too am pregnant..almost 5 months now and dont think its right to have to stand for 4 hours straight and not get to sit down for a lousy 10 minutes...also the attitudes of many of the people i work with are rotten and they do not treat people with respect there..i am constantly being harassed..sexually..and the managers are always in there back office talking on their cell phones or talking amongst themselves..but when i sit down for 2 seconds i am told to go find something to do...its just frustrating and on top of all that we dont even get one measly free meal after working a long shift with only 1 break...

• Bl
      2nd of Jun, 2009

i absolutly agree. ok i worked at wendy's for almost a year till about a while ago. i got fired bc i didnt show up for a shift that i was not on the schedule for. now about a month previously i had walked in on the store manger stealing money and putting it in her purse and i didn't say two words about it till she tries to blame another manager for the money coming up missing. she has hired her daughter in my place{ how convenient that she got a job that she isn't even supposed to have} at out store we are lucky to even get our half hour break and if we asked if we got a break they got mad and said "if i give you a break you'll know"
    the only pple that get to keep their job are the pill heads like the manager {also a drunk} and ppl who they have caught on camera fighting with other employees and smoking pot. i still have a couple of friends who work there so thats why i am bieng so vague about this bc i dont want them to lose their jobs. i think the store manager should lose her job for stealing running the store like its her own personal slave factory and hiring her daughter bc the girl doesnt work when she's there and gets every weekend off when the ppl who have kids that work there work 10 - 14 days straight without a day off. i live in a right to work state so there really isnt a whole i can do but i would like to encourage anyone to not go to wendy's in north carolina wadesboro or rockingham .

9th of May, 2018

@blondielove So call the corporate office and tell them about the stolen money and to check the camera tapes ... end of story... sexually harassing you pregnant. hummm? That's interesting. I am sure that would also be on the video camera tapes.WENDY"S 888.624.8140...Feel free to give us a text or a call with any questions, comments or concerns. We're here for ya!

• Ve
      30th of Jun, 2009

There's a reason I'm leaving that place. the management sucks, I have a 3 min timer on my watch which I hit the second I go offline and I'm always back with 2-3 mins to spare and still get yelled at for taking "too long of a break". No free meal. I gave them completly open availiability when the summer started and they only gave me 25 hours a week, so I started a full time job somewhere else and told them I could only work 20. Now they're all mad at me for limiting my availiability and not working enough. If they don't fire me by the time summer ends I'm quitting adn keeping my new job.

9th of May, 2018

@veveaucent Why do you people think you should get "free food" because your an employee ?Teachers don't get free food and they teach all day for 8 hours +...

• Be
      9th of Jul, 2009
    Wendy's - swallowed somthing from tea
    Wendy's Hamburgers
    Fort Worth
    Texas

I bought a single combo with a glass of tea, and swallowed something that has stuck in my throat and has made me very sick. My ice was melted in my tea, and when i sucked from the straw something went through the straw has stuck in my throat, and I'm very sick, so after a week now I'm going to the doctor. I'm am scared and trying not to think about it, but its hard, because its there in my throat, no matter what i eat or drink, its there. I will never eat at Wendy's again.

• Cl
      26th of Sep, 2009

They gave me cold fries n mixed my hi-c with pop it was horrible...

• Ta
      4th of Oct, 2009

profanity was being used by the front sandwich maker.i looked at her name tag and it said "peavy".i didnt address the manager about the situation but i asked her to not speak so nasty and she gave me a disgusted look and rolled her eyes.if u could have her talked too or could she please be relocated because i love this wendys locaton and i would love to keep visiting but with her there i dont think i can do so!thanx

9th of May, 2018

@tasha king WENDY"S 888.624.8140...Feel free to give us a text or a call with any questions, comments or concerns. We're here for ya! Turn in the person and your concern they do care!

• Ce
      30th of Oct, 2009
    Wendys - wrong order
    WENDYS
    Longmont
    Colorado

frequented 4 times in last 6 weeks and each time something has been wrong-change and/or actual order. i would just like someone who can understand me! and get things right!

• Ac
      15th of Nov, 2009

Incorrect order, was given a combo meal single with cheese but NO CHEESE, charged incorrectly.

• Br
      16th of Jan, 2010

I know this is a little late and I'm resurrecting an old topic, but I just have to tell my story.

All of these complaints sound very eerily familiar to me. See, I work at a Wendy's in Michigan and all of the same things are going on at the one I work at. I got hired in at my Wendy's at the end of September of last year, and I was told when I hired in that I would have "A little bit of a wait" to get on the schedule. I didn't have a problem with that. I figured "a little bit of a wait" would be maybe a week. Boy, was I wrong! It took them a whole month to get me started, and ever since I've been there I've been getting mostly anywhere from three to five hours a week, and the only thing I ever get to do is wash dishes and mop floors. I have never really been trained or given a fair chance. I asked the manager about a month ago if I was ever going to get any more hours, and I was basically told "no" because I'm not competent enough to be able to handle anything else by myself. (Well, maybe if I was actually TRAINED I might be able to do a better job. DUH!!!) I can't do anything right there. Everything I try to learn I get yelled at for doing. They are only giving me three to five hours a week, and for the longest time I was getting yelled at because I could not remember things, like the right order in which salads are made, what goes on them, and where they go in the coolers once they are made. If I was given the opportunity to come to work more than one or two extremely short shifts a week where I had the chance to do things repeatedly and given some proper training, I might remember stuff!

Another thing I don't understand is how come out of all the places I have worked I have had NOTHING but EXCELLENT reviews, and now all of a sudden I'm a horrible employee?

Oh, and this really burns me up. I have a dentist appointment this Tuesday at 9 AM. Last week I wrote a note to the manager who does the scheduling and I told her about my appointment and I asked her to please not schedule me for Tuesday morning so I could make it to my appointment. I figured it shouldn't be that big of a deal for them to not schedule me for that day, since they've only been giving me two hour shifts anyway. So today I go in to get my schedule for this coming week, and I'll be danged if she didn't schedule me Tuesday morning at the exact same time my appointment is! So I went to the manager today and told her I had a problem with coming to work on Tuesday and explained it to her. I even said that I wrote a note to the manager who does the scheduling about it. She told me the only thing I could do was see if somebody wanted to pick up my hours, which I'm kind of doubting they will, because I'm scheduled from 8 to 10 AM, and it's been my experience that at the Wendy's I work at that nobody wants to work early in the morning like that. So now I have to deal with the headache of finding a replacement, and if I can't find a replacement I'll have to reschedule my dentist appointment. All this big of a headache for something so simple!

I should also mention that with the exception of four people there, the employees there are some of the most unfriendly people I have ever met in my life. I have tried talking to them and being friendly to them, but it's no use. It reminds me of a high school clique, and if you're not part of the "crowd" then you're nothing at all. And they seem to feel the need to pepper every sentence with cuss words, and sometimes very generously. I'll admit that I'm nowhere near perfect, but I very seldom use any of those words, and I think it's really unprofessional to use them that much at work. So I have pretty much resorted to just going in, doing my work, and not really saying anything to anybody unless I have to. There are a few people I talk to, but that's it. One of them is a guy who has worked there just about as long as I have and is getting treated the same way I am with hours and everything else.

I have never had a job before that I disliked so much in my life. There is so much stress there, and it stresses me out on the days I have to be there even before I actually start working. Another thing that's ridiculous is it's actually costing me more to go to work than I'm making there. By the time I get up and get around in the morning, drive there and drive back home, I've spent everything I've made that day. And you want to hear what really sucks? As much as I would love to do it, I can't quit. I'm currently collecting unemployment from my last employer, and I called the Unemployment Office and explained the situation to them that I am having with Wendy's right now and the hours they are giving me, and I told them it's costing me more to go to work than I'm actually making at work. I asked them if I had to keep my job at Wendy's to be able to keep my unemployment benefits, and they told me yes, I have to, because my job at Wendy's is still deemed to be suitable employment to the State Of Michigan! Arrrgh! So I'm stuck there getting at a maximum five hours a week until they either fire me or I find another job, and, as most of you know, there's hardly any jobs in Michigan!

9th of May, 2018

@BrattyLilSis Sounds to me as most of you on here are super spoiled and don't want to WORK at all... period. "Working from 8 to 10 no one wants to work those hours..." WHAT?
    You "Couldn't remember where they keep the salads or what they put on them...SERIOUSLY? Your kidding right?
    P.S. Schedule you dental apt. on one of the other 19 hours you don't work. !! Geez!

• Ti
      16th of Jan, 2010

You work in fast food, and you wanted to call corporate because you were asked to slice tomatoes?
    GROW UP!

9th of May, 2018

@Tired_of_Stupid Amen ! These people are worthless workers ...they are in for a rude awakening in real life huh? Good Grief!