Wells Fargo Home Mortgage / won't give me assistance

1 PA, United States Review updated:

My mom died on 2/21, and because of the expenses associated with her funeral, I was out of money before I was able to pay my February mortgage payment. March is bad too, and I knew I would not have enough funds to make a double payment (which I am sure most know Wells Fargo will NOT accept partial payments on missed payments at ALL). So I called them today to see what they could offer me. I did some searches online first and found their home owners assistance page, which listed several ways to make up missed payments. They included, paying PARTIALLY over several months on top of your regular payment, a loan modification which puts the missed payments at the end of the loan and a HUD loan for repayment of missed months. They also stated that their official home ownership assistance program would not be in effect until later this year and they would contact customers who qualified, do not call to find out if you qualify. I also got that message on the phone when I called.

So I called, hopeful that with the death of my mom they'd be able and willing to work with me. The lady I spoke too was nice enough and took down all my 'financial' information which proves that we are literally living paycheck to paycheck here. I told her how much I had spent on mom's funeral... which I didn't think was their business but whatever. I also explained that we are eating one meal a day and I haven't bought heating oil in 2 months because we can't afford it right now.

She typed in all my information and informed me that there were NO OPTIONS available to me for repayment. The only thing was to pay the two months NOW. To her credit, the woman taking the info also seemed rather shocked at this.

She said that she would 'notate' my account that I was going to pay March at the end of the month and then an extra quarter payment for the next 4 months to make up the missed account. She had to remind me though, that Wells Fargo can still foreclose on my house until its paid in full (no late payments ect).

I have already lost about $40K on this house since we bought it 4 years ago. We did not overspend... in fact our mortgage payment was much less then our rent when we moved in. The problem started when my husband was laid off last year, and his unemployment was denied. Aside from that, I was never late in all the 4 years they serviced our loan.

I have read that you must be 3 months behind before you are eligible for assistance. But Wells Fargo starts foreclosure after only 45 days (according to the letter they sent me last year) so how is anyone ever going to be eligible for assistance?

This is disheartening to say the least. I did not buy more house then I could afford (the house was only $119K), and I am trying so hard to keep my home. I know I will be laid off this year, because the company I work for is sending all its US jobs overseas. What is going to happen then to me and my home? If they won't help me over something like this... I doubt that they will help at any time.

Po

Comments

• Ro
      21st of Mar, 2009

I took out a 2nd mortgage last Feb. 08 and at that time was told that I can reapply at no cost to me if the rates fall below my 9.1%. Since than I had called on Sept. 08, Nov. 08, Jan. 09 and was told, "not at this time." Today I was sitting with my personal banker as she called, "The credit crunch has kept the rate at 9%."

All I want is to reduced my 2nd mortgage % rate. They already have my loan (credit) so it's not like I'm applying for a new one. Since reducing my rate will reduce my payments, it's to there advantage to keep me at 9% even though they promise me that I can have it reduced according to the current market rate.

More Bailout $$ from us;
    Portland, Oregon

• Ke
      20th of May, 2009

I am in the same situation with Wells Fargo. It's odd that I read this because they are doing the same thing to me, but I was told to submit my information to the Loss Mitagation department. Come to find out I haven't had my mortgage for a year, therefore we don't qualify for any assistance. Why didn't the determine this before they started the process. This has been going on for atleast 4 months now. I haven't received any notification that I didn't qualify for the modification, but when I contacted the customer service they told me that I didn't qualify. It took them four months to determine I didn't qualify for a loan modification. Your kidding me right. I was laid off after trying to go back to work after having my son, and shortly after my husband was laid off. I do not qualify for unemployment because I was a contractor in the Oil and Gas business. I contacted Wells Fargo again today because I was told I would possibly qualify for the 3 step refinance program, and then once again today was told I didn't qualify for that either. The customer service representative that I spoke with today was very rude. Basically told me that I had only had my loan for 5 months, therefore I could never afford my loan in the first place. I was very frustrated and irrate that this would come from her mouth. Who was she to judge me... I have been getting the run around on this home assistance program for the last three months. I do show we are in the loan modification progress on the internet home assist website, but why am I being told differently when I call customer service. If I was unable to afford my loan why would wells fargo approve me to purchase a home in the first place. I was told today that I would have to bring my monthly payments up to date before I could apply for the 3 step program.. In my opinion, home assist means helping those in need in tough times. I do not feel that this is Wells Fargo's goal at this point..I don't feel that is a customer service reps duty to tell me I couldn't afford my house in the first place when I don't qualify for additional government help when I pay my taxes, and others take advantage of it.

• My
      23rd of Jul, 2009

Interest stuff. I have been working with Wells since Sept/08. My situation is same as many others. Husband is employed however, cut is salary. I was told back in Sept then October that I did not quality for any of the 4 programs they were offering. One being a repayment of any back payments (hello! of course I can not afford this). I again was in tears after speaking with the rep from Wells as they made me feel even worse about my situation. This was in October. After a long hard talk with my husband, we decided to make no more payments. This was hard for us as we have had our loan for 3 years with Wells and NEVER missed or had a late payment. After 1 month past I called Wells again and was told to send in financials which I did. I was contact in February/09 that I was now in review for the HOPE FOR HOMEOWNERS program and any foreclosure would be postponed. Not even a week after that I received the dreaded Notice of Trustee Sale. I called the bank WEEKLY to get updates. They insisted that they are working with me and no sale will occur while in the process (send me a letter also informing me of this). I am now feeling pretty confident that Wells is going to help me (especially after seeing a few friends lose their homes). WRONG! Now, we are approaching August/09 and still no answer. I was just informed that I must provide new financials (8 months later) which I did. I noticed that I am no longer speaking with the H4H dept but rather Customer Service who is taking all overflow calls. SCARY! I have a sale date approaching for the 3rd time and was told that I am not in active foreclosure by not 1 but 3 reps, when in fact I have call the Trustee directly to confirm my sale date. Looks like the right hand is not speaking to the left. To top this whole mess off, I just received a letter from Wells asking once again for financials and only offering me the same 4 options that they did back in Sept/08. My husband and I are so fed up with being in limbo. I can see why people just say screw it and let their house go. It is not worth the stress and the constant pressure on not only my husband and I but our entire family. At this point we are all about SIMPLIFYING our lives and if that means losing a our home of 5 years, SO BE IT! It doesn't matter where we live because we can make any house our home. Things happen for a reason : )
    I can tell you that going this this hardship has really made me and my husband much more humble and has helped us to realize what is most important in life. THANKS WELLS!

• Sr
      16th of Aug, 2009

My wife and I have been working with Wells Fargo since December of 08. Similar situation as everyone is going through. My wife was laid of from her job in December of 08 and right there was a $3800-4500 dollar a month loss of income. For me being a school teacher, It has been tough trying to live pay check to pay check. Wells fargo has been dragging their feet for 8 months, all they could offer us in 8 months is a 3 month forbearance of only $100 dollars off of our original mortgage, that doesn't even include our second. They would rather have people walk away, short sale or go bankrupt. They are not helping out the good people that have been outstanding clients up to this point. Work with the good people keep us in our homes, I guess they make so much money it doesn't matter what happens because they can take millions of dollars of loses but they could avoid that by just working with people and lower principle and interest because the person that comes in will get what the people that lost their home wanted. It is just not fare. I do not know how Wells Fargo employees sleep at night because I know I don't.

• Fr
      3rd of Oct, 2009

I have been with Wells Fargo since 2003 and now I am getting the same run around. I have never been late, actually I have been 1 month ahead most of the time I have been with them. I got a message from them yesterday telling me to call before 9pm, I called them back at 8:45pm. The new message I got was that they are only open until 8:30 now. I called back this morning and they answered the phone!!! I asked what the progress was on my account and they said to send in a financial worksheet and proof of income. I told her I have already done that 2 times and I am wondering if the paper work will go through this time? I was told that the imaging department can't read my proof of income. What??!! I sent paper copies in the mail to them twice and they don't have a scanner that can make clear digital copies?! I asked how a huge conglomerate like Wells Fargo can't afford a decent scanner, and was told that each time the application gets "updated" that the new processor can request whatever they want. From one department to the next they have no communication and can not access the last person that handled the account according to the lady I talked to today. She said she was going to put all this in my "notes". I am very frustrated and feel that as good customers in the past we should be treated well instead of getting the run around each time we contact them about a program they started to "help" us.

• Wh
      13th of Feb, 2010

WOW... I am reading about this and I am in the same boat, given the same run around!!

• Am
      10th of Aug, 2010

please do not give up just keep calling wells fargo 1866 6441569 in their loss mitigation dept. you can apply off line too at makinghomeaffordable.gov and fill out the rma packet with the 4506-t tax transcrpts send in your taxes w2 hl fw and proof of income and go in review once you get approved for a repy plan it only takes 30-90 days to get your new loan and only send in your docs if they call you or if it states in the notes and if you can get your processor name and number keep it! they are the ones that make your new loan any one else is just the mid person between you and your processor.

• Me
      12th of Aug, 2010

Wells Fargo did the same to us!! 8 months of dealing with loan modification process to be told we are to much in debt to lower our payments!!! Now that bought our loan during the auction and told us we will be evicted in 30 days!! Wow and we were customers for 14 years

• Gr
      4th of Sep, 2010

I have been given the run around by Wells Fargo for a year, still in my house, waiting for them to decide if they are going to help or not!! Havent made a payment since last year and my husband was out of work for a year:(

12th of Oct, 2010

I AM VERY PLEASED WITH THE THOUGHT AND DON’T FEEL LIKE ADDING ANYTHING IN IT. IT A PERFECT POST.

============================
    Jackson

• So
      20th of Nov, 2010

[url="www.ukmortgagecomparison.com" rel="dofollow"]Shared Ownership Mortgages [/url]

• So
      20th of Nov, 2010

will not be allowed to close on your mortgage if you don’t have insurance for your home. Home insurance covers your home against floods, fire, theft, or other problems. Unless you can afford to repair your home if it is damaged, it is usually a good idea to get insurance for your home. If your home is located within a zone that is known for having floods, federal laws may require you to have flood insurance.

[url="http://www.mortgagehomeowner.com" rel="dofollow"]Mortgage Quote[/url]

• Ci
      18th of Dec, 2010

I have Wells Fargo too. I went through a divorce, a very bad one and I find myself stuck with a mortgage payment that I am having a lot of trouble paying. Wells Fargo also told me there was nothing they could do to help me. They all but laughed at me. I have been with them for 10 years and have always paid my mortgage on time. They are awful! They don't care about their customers, the only thing they worry about is the precious mortgage payment. I hope half of them lose their jobs and end up like us and find out how it feels. chill2008