WELE travel show / Scamming listeners to their show

1 Ormond Beach, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 386 677 1380

I just want to ask for any other peope out there that think as I do, we are tired of WELE stealing people's money with the promise of "great deals" and then placing roadblock and hidden fee's up !!! I know I'm tired of it, and I need people who will help me throw these corrupt people off the air. Please email the ownership of WELE radio and info the attorney generals office as well as the central florida better business bureau. Together as a group we can and should make this happen.

Look on the WELE travel show website under the portion that says "redeeming coupons", they have a $15 pizza and a movie coupon, which sounds interesting until you realize you have to redeem it for $9, so the whole package costs you $24, then they have blackout dates and times on the actual certificate. Trust me you can just call your favorite pizza place and have two large pizzas delivered and go to blockbuster and rent a movie for less than $24.

Come on people band together and we can get rid of these kind of shows that prey on people.

Comments

11th of Jul, 2008

I had a problem with them 3 years ago. We purchased a certificate for Charleston at the downtown Hampton Inn. It cost us $90 and was for a two night stay. We called 3 months in advance and it was a eek night stay rather than on their busy weekends. I announced the certificate to The Hampton Inn; they they had no rooms! Three months in advance?

So, I called the hotel back with out announcing I had a certificate and they had plenty of rooms! I called WELE and explained the situation (there were no restrictions on the certificate) and they told me that "sometimes" the hotels will only book those certificates for last minute customers; when they could not otherwise sell the rooms at full price.

I asked WELE how does one plan a vacation that way? We called 3 months in advance! They said try again. I said no, I want my money back. They refused. I filed a complaint with myfla.com and posted on complaint.com. All of a sudden, a listener called and said she would like to buy the certificate; we lost $10 on the deal.

Two months later, a televison station came out to my hjome and did a spot with me that aired telling about these travel show scams. I was not allowed to mention WELE 1380 specifically. The spot was aired nationally.

23rd of Jul, 2008

Agree total scam ..I cant get anyone to call me back and have tried to book disney vacations for over 9 months. I have another package that I dont even wnat to try and reedem.

Lets get them off the air!!!

• Lo
      30th of Jul, 2008

I bought a certificate in january and have yet to get my week-end in orlando, and attraction tickets. don't expect i ever will.
    i also returned a purchase and waited 4-6 weeks to get a refund, and they sent me a trade for something else certifiacate.
    they are laughing all the way to the bank.
    there was a time they were ok, for say gatorland tickets or the like. forget the promises of any bargain, lots of agravation/

• Lo
      30th of Jul, 2008

they have made several unauthorized charges to my credit card, which i am now disputing thru proper channels.
    they lie. for instance, i bought a mexico trip all inclusive, paid for it with the knowlegde i was to pay the taxes, according to the dj. turnd into $500. I GOT NO BARGAIN. the hotel was a dump.
    call, get a busy signal, no one returns e-mail or messages, but they take your money in a new youk minute.

• Ga
      6th of Aug, 2008

Put me on the list of folks that have been burned. When it's too good to be true... They mislead you on the package, require their money upfront, and then you find out all the real charges and that you can't really use the package. Then try to get a refund.

• Ju
      18th of Sep, 2008
    WELE travel show - Horrible business practicces
    WELE Radio Station
    Ormond Beach
    Florida
    Phone: 386 677 4122

Cannot get any satisfaction from these people. So deceptive, so dishonest, and no customer service whatsoever!!! Do not buy anything from them, RUN! Its not what its made out to be, lies, lies lies.

22nd of Sep, 2008

I agree, I thinks the travel show and the radio station are committing fraud and nothing is being done about it, I too fell victim to the sales pitch on the radio only to find out after spending over $250.00 that not one thing they said was true and it was only bait to get you sucked in to the never ending fees and restriction. I tried to get a refund and was out right refused and denied because of one of there loop holes. I will be forwarding my complaints to the AG’s office and BBB.

• Li
      2nd of Oct, 2008

It took me 6 months for my refund and it was only when I threatened that I would send Channel 6 news problem solvers over and I did a little digging and found out, online I might add, (Volusia County public records) that Doug Wilhite is in trouble with the IRS for tax evasion. I clipped this information to an email I sent him . Apparently it did the job. I got my refund. Also, through the property appraisers web site, I found he owns, or perhaps holds mortgage on quite a few properties. This station really is a scam and someone should shut them down.

• Ji
      12th of Nov, 2008

Doug has a long history of less then honest behavior. He has done much worse in the past and I am sure will do worse in the future if given the chance. He made the new shows and took all vacations off the credit show rendering the thousands of dollars of credit he had sold to many near worthless. He had also tried to totally cancel the credit even when the certificates said forever. Sad but true just typical Wilhite attitude for the ignorant chumps that he loves and cares so much for in a deep christian love. Keep your back to the wall. I believe he has deep contempt for all stupid enough to be dealt his deals. Many do not think he is a nice person. Understatement.