WELE Radio Station / WELE travel show is a ripoff

1 Ormond Beach, FL, United States Review updated:

Let me clue people in on how this corrupt travel show works. I purchased something called an Ultimate Vacation Adventure, which entitles me to round trip airfare for two to a variety of locations in the US. This was purchased on the WELE travel show for $125. Now they don't tell you that it costs, $45 to redeem, which again, seemed reasonable when thinking about what you are getting. They once redeemed, you get the certificate and it's there that you actually see the FINE PRINT and HIDDEN BLACKOUT DATES that are mind boggling.

1. You must submit 3 choices and dates for travel, 30 days apart.
2. You must not travel on approximately 9 holidays listed on the form, and get this, NEITHER THE WEEK BEFORE NOR THE WEEK AFTER, these 9 listed holidays. Folks that cuts out quite a few weeks there doesn't it.
3. If you miss one, and only one of these many hidden dates and fee's you VOID !!! the offer and everything is gone.

This is what WELE is banking on, you screwing up and not going it correctly, once voided you are history, they keep the money and you go away.

I vow that I will do everything in my power to put this crooks off the air and get my story out to everyone, finally someone will do something and help the poor schmucks that are losing money left and right to this corrupt station.

Comments

• Am
      13th of Jun, 2008

I totally agree. They have over $300 of my money and took away the one and only chance we had for a vacation this summer. STAY AWAY!!!

• Sh
      4th of Jul, 2008

We are stuck in the same hell you are.Ripoff is not the word.Even the Disney tickets!!! Adults only!! WE ARE GOING TO GET OUR MONEY BACK THROUGH THE CREDIT CARD COMPANY.

4th of Jul, 2008

Within the past year, using WELE offers, we have traveled to La Vegas, Cocoa Beach, Destin, Tallahassee, cruised to the Ocean Reef Yacht Club in the Bahamas, took my mother on a RCL cruise in April, traveled to the Sheraton River Walk in Tampa, another trip to the Seminole Hard Rock Casino in Tampa, flew to Chicago and stayed at a 4 Points Sheraton there, stayed at a Crowne Pointe Plaza hotel in Alexandria, VA, gone to Charleston and Savannah, traveled to Ft. Lauderdale, spent a wonderful weekend in Orlando, complete with Arabian Nights show tickets, Tony and Tina's Wedding show tickets, Holyland Tickets, gotten numerous tickets for Weeki Wachee Springs, the Alligator Farm, Trolleys in DC, Savannah, Theater tickets in Savannah, and are booked for the Dominican Republic in September. Pending requests are in for a trip to New York City, 2 trips to Disney, a RCL cruise in December and a trip to Arizona. We have greatly enjoyed the performances of the Ormond Beach Symphony Orchestra, the Sleuths Mystery Dinner Show, and other events offered by WELE. We are BIG fans of WELE and could not have done all of this traveling at full price. Yes, the scheduling does take some time and patience, but it's worth it.

• Da
      20th of Jul, 2008

I don't believe that Sandy and Dick aren't somehow affiliated with WELE. We had issues with 2 packages we bought. I picked them up, realized that they were FULL of hidden fees and difficult stipulations. I returned them a few days later and they refused to give us any money back. While waiting to get our certificates, we had to stand in line. Everyone in line with me was a first time customer - NO REPEATERS! I guess everyone who used them before realized what a scam it was and didn't come back for seconds. I with I had known before I spent $180! I tell ALL of my friends and coworkers to help them avoid the same mistake.

• Cr
      21st of Jul, 2008

this show is a ripe off i to bought airlines tickets ...something went wrong no tickets, no return calls from radio station..dont do any business with these people

• De
      24th of Jul, 2008

I also got ripped off. I cancelled the charge on my credit card and they found a way to get it back. The scheduling and fees are way out. You would have to be availailabe 365 days year, and each time you send paperwork in there is another fee added. I gave up. Now they have over $200.00 of my money and I have not gone anywhere. I think that the attorney general's office in Florida should be investigating this rip off. I WILL BE CONTACTING THEM.

• Ro
      3rd of Aug, 2008

Be warned, wele travel show is a big rip-off.they took me for$300 . doug wilhite and trisha have been corrupted by greed and lust after even more dollars. They shamefully call themselves christians. Dont become the next victim ...

• Ho
      5th of Aug, 2008

My wife and I experienced the same thing after we purchased 4 packages which which "sounded too good to be true." I got a full refund after paying $124 to redeem two of them and found out all the hidden "oh by the ways". Even though we are retired, there is no way we could use the packages with the restrictions that were put on them, especially the picking 30 day apart travel dates. We wanted to use them for specific events but were useless. They tried to tell me no refunds after 30 days, but I would have sued their pants off if they hadn't refunded my money back. I am glad to see that it wasn't just us that feel this way.

• Je
      11th of Aug, 2008

I have never in my life had so much trouble with a return in my life!! I bought ONE package in APRIL and they ended up sending me FIVE and charged me for ALL of them!! I returned everything exactly how they asked and it was just taking forever. I have called them a million times to try and talk to someone and they will never even return phone calls. When I went there to talk to someone in person they lady said they were in the middle of switching the person who was in charge of returns so she said they were a little behind...she wouldn't even look at me when she was talking to me!! They charged me around $250.00 for every thing and i finally got something in the mail saying they would credit my account for $110.00 the first week of AUGUST (remember I purchased in APRIL..I work with credit card purchases and I know that it doesn't take 4 months to credit and account). First, $110.00?? none of the packages even added up to that and if your not gonna return all my items then send the ones that you won't return back, i mean they are mine! They didn't even say what that credit was for. Second, the lady said it took so long because my return sat in a box in some office and had been misplaced for a while. WOW very organized..by the way it's after the first week in August and I still haven"t even gotten the measly $110.00...they claim advertisements are the reason they can sell these packages so cheap, really they just wait for people to buy things and then they keep their money!! I think I've heard somewhere that that's STEALING and it"s a crime!!!

• Ta
      11th of Aug, 2008

THANK YOU, people! I was just about sign up and pay for the buy one airfare/get one free. Thank you for posting this so I can save my money and aggravation!!!

• Fr
      11th of Aug, 2008

I agree with the complaints so many details come out in the wash after you get what it is you purchase. I wanted a cruise for myself, my Sister, and my Mother. I made it very clear to Trish that we all wanted seperate cabins. She said just buy two packages now. If they aren't too busy they would probably just give you another cabin for no extra charge, or you can pay for another package then. said ok but it came down to booking I was then and only then told that I would have to pay the $200.00 "TAX" for both cabins but based on double occupancy. So I would have $800.00 just in the so called Tax ($1, 200.00 if we got the third cabin) plus the nearly $200.00 I paid to the station. I told the girl at WELE that I could book it much cheaper on the cruise line website and that I never would have bought it to begin with if the "tax" had been explained to me. She agreed to issue me a credit but when that arrived it was only good for using on the cash and credit show, you know $5.00 for bingo and all that which would take me years to work that off not to mention I'd be in the Psych ward if I had to listen to all that prattling for that long. The story on the cruise "tax" is it's really just to help the cruise line defray their food and beverage cost. They call it a tax because it sounds better. So instead of an empty cabin the cruise line has a shot at some people that at least will spend money on extras and do some gambling and so on.

• Je
      12th of Aug, 2008

I don't understand how these people could steal so much money and get away with it. I have lost $500.00 to these people! It's definitely a lesson learned. My friend just spoke with Doug Wilhite whom stated he was sorry, but he sent out our "redemption forms" and he doesn't know why we didn't get them, but he cannot give us a refund...SURPRISE!! We purchased these trips in March and I am now giving up. If you haven't dealt with these people PLEASE DON'T! Save yourself the headache and the money.

• Fr
      12th of Aug, 2008

Another big fiasco was the airplane they bought and they were going to whisk people around in "your own private plane" and such nonsense. They started selling those trips before the plane was even approved, a neighbor bought several and was bragging oh I'll never have to fly commercial again. Again they didn't explain the particulars. Someone asked on air what type of plane it was and Wilhite replied a Cessna. Weeks later as the approval process was taking much longer than they thought, some asked what particular model Cessna. When he replied a 310 my eyes almost fell out of my head because a 310 couldn't be a less appropriate airplane for what they were planning. While a nice plane the entrance is on the right hand side only and you have to step on a piece of metal that is welded to the fuselage and then grab a handle and hoist yourself onto the right wing and go along the wing to the front right door and step down into the airplane. This would be impossible for a large part of their clients who sound to me like retirees. Needless to say they stopped talking about the plane after it had a crash landing in Flagler Beach when the landing gear wouldn't go down.
    I still can't decide if these people are just dumb or dumb like a fox. But the hassles dealing are not worth it to me unless it's just a straight up deal like a credit at a restaurant etc. The trip just contain too much fine print.

• Bi
      28th of Oct, 2008

THERE IS STRENGTH IN NUMBERS. IF ENOUGH OF THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF CAN AGREE TO FOLLOW UP ...THEN CONTACT ME AND WE WILL FILE A CLASS ACTION SUITE AGAINST WELE AND IF WE CAN GET A PETITION TOGETHER I AM SURE THE STATES ATTORNEY WILL DO SOMETHING...NOW SEND ME YOUR E-MAILS.,

• Da
      29th of Oct, 2008

WELE yesterday shut its doors in the face of complaints about the "travel show." Doug Wilhite left copies of a typed message blaming a local weekly for causing the failure, and that he wanted to restart at some point, and that he has placed the station up for sale at $2.5 million. They had continued to sell packages up to the end. There is a rumor that at leasst one person is moving to Texas.

• Pe
      30th of Oct, 2008

The WELE Premier Travel Show's demise (if that is what has happened) was not caused by the article in the Hometown News. The article was completely accurate and should have been a wake-up call to them to right the wrongs they have inflicted on people who trusted them. As soon as WELE started using third-party partners, things began to go down hill. Either WELE was not completely reading the fine print for customer participation and the contracts they should have had with these providers, or they were on a deliberate mission to deceive and became greedy. There was no way that they were unaware of customer dissatisfaction based on e-mails, phone calls, letters sent to them, and customers visiting the station with persistent problems. Nearly everyone we talked to who had any dealings with WELE in the past year or two can give you multiple tales of horror regarding (especially - but not only) third party deals. The on-air deals were misleading, there were undisclosed fees, paperwork was not delivered in a timely manner, refunds were non-existent (who wants a gift certificate for more grief), times that the certificates could be used were minimal, direct trade certificates were exchanged for third-party certificates when you tried to redeem them, their booking people tried "bait-and-switch tactics trying to get you to accept a lesser value hotel for a great hotel, and in one case, we were sent a third party certificate (after paying the redemption fee, of course) for a company that wasn't even licensed to sell travel in Florida. We currently have about 8 complaints in to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services which regulates and licenses Sellers of Travel. WELE told the FDACS in August that they would refund the parts of the complaints they had at that time if we turned in all of the papers- which we did. To this date, we still do not have a refund nor response from WELE. How dumb is it to lie to the department that licenses you? We have listened to the show off and on over the past few weeks. They cut their air time by about 2 hours a couple of weeks ago. It was embarrassing to listen to Trisha desperately trying to fill air time with hardly any calls. Most calls were from new shoppers. The only person Doug Wilhite should be pointing a finger at for the failure of this venture is himself for the unprofessional manner in which customers were treated. When one pays for something, they should get it as advertised or get a timely refund. One does not need to read facts in a newspaper article to figure out they bought a pig-in-a-poke.

• Ca
      1st of Nov, 2008

We are glad that the few started with these complaints about the WELE Travel Show, and hope there are more that join in to be heard.
    When we first heard of the Travel Show, it was hard to believe and when we told friends about it, they didn't believe it. We should have listened to them.
    There were plane tickets to anywhere in the continental U.S., which we wanted to use to Minnesota for our grandson's February birthday. We applied for the trip in August for February of the following year. You can't plan for it, as they don't let you know until 30 days before you leave if you can go. The third party said we would have no problem going to Minnesota in February and that we would only have to put one destination in. We DID NOT get to go! If they don't have Minnesota in February available six months ahead, there is something wrong.
    We bought other things, which we got frustrated with just as previous complaints...register, send more money, then your choices, then wait and it's not available. We finally gave up trying as it was too difficult to correspond everyting...and that's is exactly what the show wanted you to do.
    They have a good sales pitch, they are entertaining and sounded so honest and Christians. But what Christian would slight people like this. Of course, they know that it's mostly seniors that would be listening to the radio in the afternoon. So I think they deliberately took advantage of seniors. Shame on you.
    We plan to file these complaints of ours with the police department and hope you all do. Let's show them that we seniors are smarter than they think!!
    LET'S GO SENIORS!

• Re
      7th of Nov, 2008

I have lost SO MUCH $$$ through this company. The complaints are to long to list. I am probably out more than $600. I agree with a class action lawsuit against them. YOU CAN COUNT ME IN!

• Mr
      8th of Nov, 2008

YOU CAN COUNT US IN ON A CLASS ACTION SUIT TOO. WE WERE SCAMMED ON REFUNDS THEY PROMISED TO SEND US SINCE APRIL FOR OVER $700. WE ARE SENIOR CITIZENS AND FELL FOR TRICIA'S SMOOTH TALKING .

• Do
      12th of Nov, 2008

Forget about a class action suit. Go down to the courthouse and file a small claims. Why pay a lawyer? Once the Judge hears what is going on you will get your money back. Mr. Wilhite will probably pay you before it goes to court. I found that to be the case in my situation.