Weight Watchers / discrimanation

1 Hesperia, CA, United States Review updated:

The most shocking thing happen to me when I went into Weight watchers in Hesperia CA, seeking employment with the company. When I ask were they hiring, the lady looked me up and down before she answered and she reply to me no. She then went on to say that I would have to pay and go through their weight loss program and become a succes story before I would even be considerd to work there because of my weight. I was so shock that she said that. Here is a company that I have been familuar with since I was child, I could not beleive what she was saying to me.

Renata
ladyca@aol.com

Re

Comments

• Cc
      29th of Aug, 2009

Shocked or not, she is correct. If you want to work in the meeting room you are required to have lost weight thru WW. How else would you be able to present the plan. Get a clue, okay??

• Ba
      29th of Aug, 2009

I do hope she told you in a nice way. However, WW does require their employees to be a lifetime member to work for them. It is not discrimination as you see it. You have to know how to work the program to be able to answer and help people. If you are over weight, what would a new member think? You are telling me how to lose weight but you are not a roll model? See what I'm saying? Also, what would you tell a person that was eating their daily points but no extra points, exercising 6 days a week but not losing weight? You have to have been there or know WW policy to be able to help.

• Cu
      29th of Aug, 2009

I am sorry. For your troubles I am going to go ahead an hire you. However you will be working without pay. Let me know when you can start.

• Fa
      21st of Sep, 2009

This makes no sense. This most likely against the law. If a person sees a therapist say as an example, for shop lifting and then uncovers this behavior of acting out is coming from being molested as a child, is it required that the therapist must have also been molested and had a shop lifting problem? No, we check where they went to school and how many years practicing etc... We see if our insurance plan is taken by the therapist.

Jenny Craig has a training program for their employees. You don't have to had a weight problem to be hired. What is required is intelligence, compassion and a decent work history/resume. If Weight Watchers is so intent on hiring only members who have paid for their program then don't list any positions for hire on their web sites. Simply hire current members and hope their education and resume gives them the additional skills needed to be a receptionist or team leader. A person could have issues in another area, be working through them in therapy and/or 12 step program but if it not weight issues, they are not even considered for any employment at Weight Watchers?! This seems very unfair and may be against the law. In these tough economic times this is not good behavior. Again they should stop listing any jobs on their websites, when they are trying to recruit new over weight people that may or may not get a job down the road. Weight Watchers appears to discriminate against those without a weight problem who dealt with these issues without them or if the person has never had a weight problem at all. Jenny Craig does not do this.