Webroot Spy Sweeper / Won't honor thier 30 day guarantee

PO Box 19816Boulder, CO, United States Review updated:
3.55
Phone: I866-612-4227
Thier Spy Sweeper antivirus software box states they product has a 30 day guarantee. I loaded it into a professionally reformatted laptop and more than twice it took over five hours to run. I bought it on April 9, 2008. Applied for my 30 day guarantee within 17 days and I've witten them 3 times including all the way up to the CEO. I have a compliant number 108151. I've written the Burlington County NJ Consumer Affairs people, Staples (the company) who sold it to me and zour local TV Channel's, "Three On Your Side", all to no avail.

As A senoir citizen, I don't have $49.99, to throw away, My mistake was taking a well known computer software supplier's word.

Comments

By
  12th of Nov, 2008
Weebroot was very misleading from the START! They scam you in to buying more products when they do not even honer the purchased product (SPY SWEEPER TB B103 VS 6) I upgraded and they did no R&R The adware etc. Also they play games when you visit the trouble shoot site! If you make the mistake of purchasing products?! GOOD LUCK removing the leaches!

Scammed in KC! Go with a reputable co. that stands by their word!
weebroot does not!
Using my other computer I will get the word OUT! W root will leave you and Co w/nothing but loose Change!
Ca
  3rd of Dec, 2008
Five days when I booted up my computer in the morning I received a notice that my Webroot Firewall was in need of a free upgrade from 5.2 to 6.0 so I took advantage of it and ever since I have been experiencing complete failures from the firewall and now my system is left defenseless and vulnerable. So today after the third failure in twenty minutes I started looking around for a telephone number and after 10 min hold (not too bad) I was connected to a tech who immediately informed me there would be a $30.00 service fee…… which after listening to my decibel level elevating considerably he relinquished and immediately said you will need to de-install my current software and reinstall new and Goodbye. That seemed way too easy. THREE HOURS LATER, two technicians and four separate attempts to install….I am back where I was before I took advantage of their FREE, NEW, BIGGER, BETTER, FASTER product.
What really got me to where I am now writing this letter, is their customer service, or lack there of. I got the immediate impression from the techs that once I didn’t roll over for their $30.00 Customer Service Support fee, they couldn’t get me off the phone fast enough. Well because of their impatience I took up three hours of their time when if they would have taken the time to assist me initially we could have both been on our separate ways and not waste three hours of our precious work day.
So in summary, the customer service follow-up questionere reflected my frustration about taking the time to do a thorough job the first time…. and I could recommend them but not until some action has taken place to rectify this flaw in the system.
Ca
  3rd of Dec, 2008
Five days ago when I booted up my computer in the morning, I received a alert notice that my Webroot Firewall was in need of a free upgrade from 5.2 to 6.0 so I took advantage of it and ever since I have been experiencing complete failures from the firewall and now my system is left defenseless and vulnerable. So today after the third failure in twenty minutes I started looking around for a telephone number and after 10 min hold (not too bad) I was connected to a tech who immediately informed me there would be a $30.00 service fee…… which after listening to my decibel level elevating considerably he relinquished and immediately said you will need to de-install my current software and reinstall new and Goodbye. That seemed way too easy. THREE HOURS LATER, two technicians and four separate attempts to install….I am back where I was before I took advantage of their FREE, NEW, BIGGER, BETTER, FASTER product.
Im
  30th of Jan, 2009
Warning: do not buy this software!

Spy Sweeper used to be one of the best. I made the mistake of re-newing for 2 years and now the new program can't be activated, can't be updated, and only works on old spyware.

The supposed knowledgeable support continues to suggest uninstalling and installing a new download.

Same problems persist, so now they want me to buy a service contract.
Na
  31st of Jan, 2009
I too have been "sucker punched" by WebRoot. I recently (3 months ago or so) renewed my software subscription for two years. Last week, it began failing to update. I noticed that my subscription has become "inactive"! I attempted to call customer service and was told to either stay on the phone for a hold time of over an hour or pay 100.00 for professional tech support. I hung up. I attempted to call again a couple of days later and this time I was told to either stay on the phone for one hour or pay 100.00 for professional tech support. I selected the paid service just to talk to a human and ask who I could call to rectify this, being as it is not a technical issue. The attitude I got! You would have thought I was a troll from under some bridge who wanted a free handout...I explained carefully what my problem was and asked for a number to call for accounting, records, or whomever could help me...I was again told to call the number I JUST called and select the free tech support line and hold for an hour or longer. ###! 100.00 tech support for a piece of software one can buy at WalMart for 30 bucks. Anyway, I have chosen to contact them via the email route...TWICE...still no answer, and it is 5 days later. I registered a formal complaint with the Better Business Bureau (which, by the way, WebRoot IS a member of) and have this to ultimately say about WebRoot...DO NOT BUY ANYTHING THAT THEY SELL, IN FACT, DONT EVEN BUY PRODUCTS THAT WERE ALLOWED TO EVEN TOUCH A WEBROOT BOX!!! Yes, their service after the sale sucks THAT bad.
Jo
  25th of Feb, 2009
I've bought webroot for years, good product til recently. Last year I had problems updating the software, now this year I can't update and no one can come up with a solution. They want to charge me $29.95 to have a professional team do it. What the hell is the other team do for free? Are they not professionals? I think not as I've been fighting them for weeks now with no success. This will be the last time I buy this piece of junk software. My other computer won't update either, haven't even tried to get them to fix that one. DO NOT BUY!!!
Sa
  27th of Feb, 2009
Webroot SUCKS!!! Do Not Buy
Wa
  9th of Apr, 2009
I've had Webroot Spysweeper for a long time too and just recently was no longer able to update it and after a few back and forth with their beautiful customer support I was told to pay 29.95 for an effective service... SERIOUSLY!!! I could not agree with all the comments, I've been going through the same pain with their customer service. So my conclusion is DO NOT BUY!!! Their customer service and support after sales STINK!! Hope the BBB does something about this.
Do
  11th of Apr, 2009
Dominick Leone
Orlando, FL

I too had many problems with this company. What really will fry your potatoes, is that in addition to a really second-rate software, Webroot provides THE WORST customer service.

Case in POINT: I installed their software and my computer would freeze everytime on booting up. All I wanted to do was have someone walk me through getting the nightmare software off my brand-new computer. I waited 3 hours on the phone (my cell phone), only to be put back in the phone cue for another 3 hours, and then to be told that someone would contact me with a solution. Oh ... did I mention they never called back. BUT they did tell me I could BUY "Professional support" for $30.00.

Business ethics: it's not just a course in college. Do these companies have any sense of morals -- and obligation to the customer? I guess it's carpe diem. But should we restate it for Webroot? Sieze the DOLLAR?

Dominick Leone
Jt
  28th of Apr, 2009
I have Webroot and the same woes. Do not buy!
Jt
  28th of Apr, 2009
I have Webroot and the same woes listed above. Do not buy this product!
Mi
  3rd of May, 2009
I bought the Webroot disk at Best Buy about 5 yrs. ago. I have always called to renew and had a disk sent to me for backup in case my computer crashed. Well, 3 days ago I was informed by email that I was now covered by the auto renew program and that $45. 42 was taken from my checking account. This was done without my consent!! They just decided to renew my subscription on their own. I also have spent many hours trying to get a hold of a live representative, but no luck. All the websites to remove the auto renew or to get a REFUND do NOT work! If you call the phone numbers listed on their website and wait to get their directory, it will hang up on you. Every number I have tried hangs up on you!! I went to Best Buy today and talked to the Geek Squad since they have the Webroot subscription cards there and they told me to contact the bank to see if they would replace the money removed from my account because I did not authorize this transaction. I will go to the bank with the email from Webroot and the information stating that the renew money was taken out of my account. Hopefully, there will be something they can do. I will now email the Better Business Bureau and make a formal complaint. Good luck to all on this one!
Sy
  26th of Jan, 2010
They automatically charged my credit card to renew without my consent and now won't honor the refund. I contacted them and they claim the credit went through and that it's my banks responsibility now! I, too, will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau!
Bf
  24th of May, 2010

Webroot Spy Sweeper - Service
Webroot
Arkansas

I purchased Webroot Spy Sweeper over a year ago for my Mom's computer since she was having problems with spyware. I could never get the program to update or even allow her virus protection to update so I started in calling and emailing Webroot Support. Not only did I never get an actual person to talk to but no one every return or replied to any of my emails even though they state specifically they are they through phone, email or onine techs. Well I finally uninstalled the program and took care of her problems through another software. Today I received notification that they had automatically renewed my software. I can't believe it! You can't talk to anyone I tried for over an hour today to get a person to talk to on the phone. I did hear how to apply for a refund but now after seeing all these complaints I wonder if it will happen or not. I would never ever recommend Webroot software of any kind. And they need to take that stupid statement off their web page and email notifications since it is obviously a HUGE lie.
We
  25th of May, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I bought a version of webroot and have renewed for a total of 4 years. By paying for this product I should be protected right?

Well I just May 21, 2010 I turned off autorenew- so coincidentially I get a rouge spyware virus, I do a full scan and it tells me I cant remove with out renewing my software for $59.95? Wait why I have I been paying to be protected? I have paid for this very service to be protected... I understand not being able to get new updates new lists (maybe) but for it now not to work after I have spend $150.oo over 4 years? This is software blackmail!

this is B.S. - would be like if musician could revoke a song after a year.
and to top it off I can get a deal as a new subscriber $29.99 but must pay $59 to extend... for a product that has failed me!
We
  8th of Jul, 2010
This is the worst AV software I have ever used. It seems like the Spyware and Viruses just pop right through it like a wet paper bag. Never in my life have I had to deal with so much virus and spyware infection on my laptop/PC. The support is horrible too, I waited on hold for over an hour and still never reached anyone to help me. They sent me an email that was essentially false advertizing, saying if I upgraded my AV with Spysweeper protection to the new Internet Essentials I would get all these new features. I paid the $20 and intstalled this Internet Essentials and there is ABSOLUTLEY no difference, the GUI looks the exact same, no new options or features, etc. F*** WEBROOT, I WILL NEVER PURCHASE IT AGAIN
Un
  5th of Sep, 2010
you guys are right--BAD NEWS!!
Un
  5th of Sep, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
You guys are soooo right! Try working there. YUCK! DON'T BUY IT!
Go
  4th of Apr, 2011
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I am a VERY satisfied customer of Webroot. I upgraded to the Webroot Internet Essentials; and I also purchased, and frequently use Window Washer, an amazing program. I believe in a certain instance, a person wanted to use a good program, (i.e. Webroot; briefly, or for a trial period). I have never seen Webroot offer a "trial period" persay, however if there is indeed a 30 day guarantee, then what is it about Webroot that made you change your mind. Once installed, and set to the users specifics, there is nothing more for a user to do, accept check what it's found (if anything); that has been quarantined, and remove any threats, wether minimal, or catastrophic. I am very pleased with Webroot's programs, Webroot Internet Essentials, and Window Washer. I install it on every computer I purchase, via my license agreement. And to you who degrade you previous employer? Who gave you the means to provide for yourself and loved ones? I dont' know you, nor your story or reasons for the ceased employment, nor do I particularly care to; however to publicly defame them like that is childish and immature. Grow up, and deal with life as an adult, and quit putting ridiculous words in your posts? Yuck?? Really, what flavor?? Come on. Webroot is by far THE best program, and I have experienced several others. Nothing else compares to Webroot!! Keep up the GREAT WORK Webroot Team!!

Sincerely,

A very, life long customer!!
Pi
  26th of Nov, 2012
I just spent 2 hours trying to install WebRoot AV, only to be told time after time that the key was incorrect by the software that came in the package that the license key was printed on. I tried literally every variation that I could before giving up and calling WebRoot support line.
After a short five minutes on hold, support answered and asked my name. I gave them my name and told them I was a tech helping an elderly owner that was befuddled by installing software. I was told that A. They will ONLY assist the original purchaser of the software.
I told her I was helping the owner set up a new computer and transfer the software between boxes. Again I was told that they will only assist the original purchaser and my name was not the same as the original purchaser.
I gave her my client's name, his address, and his phone number. She verified them and told me they were correct, but they still would not, under any uncertain terms, help me install my clients software. He had to call, and they would help him.
I very politely told her to piss off and installed Microsoft Security Essentials instead.

Webroot Logo Webroot