Web Detective Pro/The Privacy Chest / Deducting unapproved amount from checking account

United States Review updated:
Last month, October 10th, 2008, I accepted a 3 day trial offer to test the service of Web Detective Pro at http://www.Web-Detective.com. It was implicitly stated on the website that if I canceled my membership within 3 days, I would only get charged $2.95 and that the membership will be canceled. The payment indeed showed that my checking account was charged under "[protected]RMGMEMB VIC AU AU." After testing and noticing that the actual Web Detective Pro database was useless and that the initial introductory site was a come-on (no matter what is entered in the initial introductory database, the result shows that the item in search is found, leading one to think that by joining Web Detective more of the searched information is available), I decided to cancel on Monday, October 13th. I called [protected] on my cell early that morning. I spoke to a representative and they told me it was canceled. Today I noticed that $38.83 was taken out of my account under the auspices of "PRIVACYCHEST.COM VIC AU AU".
Om

Comments

Di
  20th of Nov, 2008
The very same thing happened to me except I did not wait 3 days to cancel my subscription; I called them back less than 30 minutes later and talked to a "human" and cancelled. My visa card was billed 2.95 which I paid, but then yesterday I received an email from privacychest.com stating they had billed my visa card again for 38.83 which I did not authorize. This is the biggest rip-off I've ever seen and something should be done about it. I've contacted the Texas Attorney General's office in Austin, Texas and made a complaint and I recommend anyone else that has had a similar problem with these nit-wits do the same with their states AG office.
Om
  29th of Dec, 2008
UPDATE 12/29/08

Today I received a call from a Mrs Larson regarding an unauthorized deduction from her account from the companies above. She thought my information listed here at ww.complainsboard.com was Web Detective Pro complain board. Please note, the information above is my personal information NOT Web Detective Pro customer service. I will see about having my information removed from this site.

A few days after posting my incident here and also emailing Web Detective and Privacy Chest, they replied. Representative of Privacy Chest went ahead and credited my account. I also noted that their initial website web-page was changed and now it displays the subscription AND cancellation page (http://www.web-detective.com), but for Web Detective Pro NOT Privacy Chest. Cancellation of Privacy Chest must be done separately. Be forewarned.

Apparently, this is a continuous scam being perpetrated to unaware individuals. You may want to notify your credit card and bank to watch for any deduction made under the company name listed.