WB Digital Media / Scam

In response to a craigslist ad, I recieved the email below. The scam is that once you ask for the credit report on the website given, you are automatically subscribed to a 14.95/mo "service".

Don't buy it.

HEre's the email:

-Dear

--In reply to your application for the position at WB Digital Media, I would like to apologize for the delay in
--responding to your enquiry. The sheer volume of applicants from Craigslist for the position has been
--overwhelming. This has in turn had a knock on effect on the time taken to sort through the junk / spam
--applications and the serious candidates.

--I am however extremely happy to inform you that your resume or initial details have been reviewed
--positively and you have progressed to the final stage.

--We believe an employee who is well rewarded and motivated is the key to our growth oriented company, and
--for that reason our employees enjoy a competitive payment structure, health packages and additional key
--benefits to be discussed at interview stage.

--As part of our routine checks on all potential employees who have reached this stage, we require applicants to
--complete a security / credit check to verify your details.

--Please note: A negative credit rating will not be a determining factor in your eventual employment, (your
--credit itself is not relevant), a full credit check however does allow us to weed out time wasters and to verify
--accurately, legal US citizenship, employment history, social security references and a verifiable confirmation
--of address.

--To get your free report we recommend using this provider or another similar trusted company.

--http://check-your-credit-online.com/

--IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Please DO NOT under any circumstances email us your credit report as it
--contains confidential information that is purely for your own benefit.

--When the HR department contacts you again shortly with full details on the position, human resources will
--simply need some non confidential data from the report to verify your details.

--Once again, thank you for your interest in the position; we will be in further contact shortly.

--Yours faithfully,

--Myleene Davis
--HR Assistant Manager
--WB Digital Media

---Myleene Davis [myleene.davis@wbdigitalsmedia.com]

Re

Comments

• Er
      26th of May, 2009

I have got the same email response when I responded from a craigslist ad, It was reported as spam.

Dear,

In reply to your application for the position at WB Digital Media, I would like to apologize for the delay in getting back to you, the number of applicants from Craigslist has been huge and it has taken quite some time to sort through the junk / spam applications and the serious candidates.

I am however happy to inform you that your resume or initial details have been reviewed positively and you have progressed to the final stage.

We believe an employee who is well rewarded and motivated is the key to our growth oriented company, for that reason we offer our employees competitive payment and health packages along with other key benefits to be discussed at interview stage.

As part of routine checks on all potential employees who have reached this stage, we require applicants to complete a security / credit check to verify your details. This allows us to weed out false applications, time wasters, illegals and so forth.

Please note: We can not and will not use bad credit to deny your application (your credit history itself is not relevant), a full credit check however does allow us to verify accurately, legal US citizenship, employment history, social security references and a verifiable confirmation of address.

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Please DO NOT under any circumstances email us your credit report as it contains confidential information that is purely for your own benefit.

When the HR department contacts you again shortly with full details on the position, human resources we will simply need some non confidential pieces of information from that report to verify your details.

Once again thank you for your interest in the position, we will be in further contact shortly.

Yours faithfully

Olive Calloway
    HR Assistant Manager
    WB Digital Media

Privacy :
    This electronic message contains information, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by email immediately.

• St
      26th of May, 2009

I received the same thing but mine was from Joanne Welby. For starters, they responded to my email with my husbands name, not mine which is on the resume I had sent. First Alert there to a scam. They got my husbands name because the email address is in his name not mine. I have learned to always research anything online that you get a response to especially to make sure something is not a scam. Just makes me mad, that they have my information to do whatever they please with. Thank gosh there isn't anything such as social security number on my resume, just the basics, but still scary! Everyone is stressed out enough as it is finding work right now and they try to pull this. One reason I am confirming this issue, to get awareness out there.

• Km
      27th of May, 2009

I also received this same email, only differece is the name of the HR person. I am so sick of these scams. I have been trying to find a job for over a year now and it seems like all the job listings on the internet that you get responses from are scams. Please don't fall for it.

• Sg
      27th of May, 2009

I also received this exact same email but the HR person was Louise Henri. The best part is I didn't even send a resume I only asked questions. I'm glad you complained about it. From what I know about these scams with links, if you request the credit report they have all your confidential information and can now use it as ID theft. Be sure to contact the authorities if you did this. Also, I looked up the real Go free credit.com and there is some difference this is not their link.

27th of May, 2009

Something has to be done about this. I have received the same message as well but was not dumb enough to fall for it. They say if you have to pay money then you should not do it.

I believe that I will take this a bit further being that my father is a Judge and my brother is a lawyer and they will now pursue finding what we can do to get these jerks Back.

My letter is from Louise Henri who is probably not even a real person.

• Si
      28th of May, 2009

I responded to an ad for customer service on Craigslist too. I was suspicious because the email I recieved back about the credit check was sent to me twice---once at 2:00 in the morning and the other at 6:45. It was the same email, but the HR directors name is Janet Baker. If I'm correct, it is illegal to ask a person for a credit check before the are even hired. Legitimate companies are required by law to have their prospective employees sign a consent form for a credit check, backround check, drug test or any other confidential inquiry. In some states it is even illegal to ask an applicant for their social security number and birthdate!!!. There are so many employment scams out here now a days. Its ridiculous. You just have to be careful. If something doesn't seem right, follow your instincts. It is such a shame for this to be happening to innocent people who are in need of a job, but education is the key. Tell EVERYONE you know. Report it to the media, your state attorney general and to the federal internet crimes division. Lets's gid rid of these jerks.

• Ev
      29th of May, 2009

I received the same email as well from a posting on craigslist. It was sent at 4:49 am which was a red flag for me. I of course did not follow the instructions about the credit check either - thankfully! The "HR Assistant Manager" that sent me the email was Janet Baker.

• Kh
      30th of May, 2009

I recieved exactly the same email as everyone else. Mine was from Julia Farmer - HR Assistant Manager. This SUCKS. I thought it was a real job posting. I also did not use the link provided. Thankfully.

• To
      1st of Jun, 2009

I applied for the job on Friday and checked my E-mail this morning...I just had that gut feeling that something was not right. The first thing was they replied too quickly. Also when they mentioned the credit report I thought that was rather strange. This was the first time I applied for a job on Craig's List and I noticed that it has the job title but it didn’t state for what company, UNTIL I received the e-mail so I decided to Google it and that is when I ran upon this website. I'm glad I did, even though I didn’t fall for the credit report its good to see things like being reported.

• Go
      1st of Jun, 2009

this is the worst scam ever!! First of all a legitimate company will almost always call you and of couse supply you a valid telephone number and website to reference. I figured that it was a scam from the start. It sounded too vague and ambigious. There are a lot of these scams on Craig's list and it's a shame that more isn't done to protect the general public. Take a deep breathe and don't volunteer your valuable personal information to anybody. It's better to err on the side of caution

• Ju
      1st of Jun, 2009

I too got an email from 'Janet Baker' at 5:09am three days after sending my resume to these JERKS. I checked out the free credit report link, and it's NOT FREE -- because you have to sign up for a 14.95 monthly fee. I did not sign up. You can get a legitimate free report once a year from other sites. Also, most all of the job posts on Craigslist do not mention a legitimate company name -- just the kind of company, like a mortage firm, a bank, etc. Only once did I see a posting that said the actual company name, and they referred you to their website to apply directly. Oh yeah, the WBdigitalsmedia.com website is 'down for server maintenance" -- LOL--LOL--- what crooks !!!

2nd of Jun, 2009

I also received the email!!! I will never use craigslist again. This is the 2nd scam ive been involed in in 2 weeks!! I only started going to the site 3 weeks ago! I can not believe these JERKS have my phone number my home address and all this information on me!!! People suck!!!

• Mu
      3rd of Jun, 2009

I got the same email, and am glad I looked up the company's name on google and found this thread. My imaginary HR person was named Olive. These people should be put in jail.

• Pr
      3rd of Jun, 2009

I also recieved another one of these emails, unfortunately I have ran into a few scamming leads and it sickens me to see these low lifes taking advantage of the people suffering in this economic stress. I think we need to take it further and make a federal complaint, BBB etc...

• To
      3rd of Jun, 2009

I received the same e-mail today.

In reply to your application for the position at WB Digital Media, I would like to apologize for the delay in responding to your enquiry. The sheer volume of applicants from Craigslist for the position has been overwhelming. This has in turn had a knock on effect on the time taken to sort through the junk / spam applications and the serious candidates.

I am however extremely happy to inform you that your resume or initial details have been reviewed positively and you have progressed to the final stage.

We believe an employee who is well rewarded and motivated is the key to our growth oriented company, and for that reason our employees enjoy a competitive payment structure, health packages and additional key benefits to be discussed at interview stage.

As part of our routine checks on all potential employees who have reached this stage, we require applicants to complete a security / credit check to verify your details.

Please note: A negative credit rating will not be a determining factor in your eventual employment, (your credit itself is not relevant), a full credit check however does allow us to weed out time wasters and to verify accurately, legal US citizenship, employment history, social security references and a verifiable confirmation of address.

When the HR department contacts you again shortly with full details on the position, human resources will simply need some non confidential data from the report to verify your details.

Yours faithfully,

Louise Jenkins
    HR Assistant Manager
    WB Digital Media

Privacy :

• Te
      3rd of Jun, 2009

This is getting really sad as I received the exact email from Louise Jenkins.
    I am so angry as I wasted my time applying for a non-existant job. This is just plain WRONG!
    Shame on these people - and hopefully they won't suck too many people into their scam!

• Am
      3rd of Jun, 2009

I received the same email, word for word, from Louise Jenkins. I am so sick of people trying to scam the unemployed, it's ridiculous! This is the third time now that I have responded to scam ads on Craigslist...NEVER AGAIN will I apply for a job advertised on that forum, it's obviously a waste of time!

• Co
      3rd of Jun, 2009

I received the same e-mail. I didn't look up the company name until after I had replied; this was what I sent:

Louise,

I apologize if I sound skeptical, but this request seems strange. I’ve been employed with other companies that have run background (criminal and credit) checks before, but they have always requested the information after a job offer. I know Craigslist has been misused in the past for identity theft, and would like to have some reassurance before I continue.

Again, if you are credible, I apologize, but you can’t be too careful these days.

Thanks-

Elisa

Oh, the irony.

• Si
      3rd of Jun, 2009

Count me in as another who has just received an email from WB Digital Media's Louise Jenkins. I was immediately suspicious when I saw the email was sent to Dear CANADA. That's not my name! Security checks prior to a job offer? I don't think so. I clicked on the website indicated and was saved because I couldn't input my postal code into the ZIP code box. Then I noticed that you cannot click on any of the menu options at the top of that website leaving me with the conclusion that I was dealing with a scam. Next I google "wb digital media" and, voilà, here I am. Don't badmouth Craigslist, however. I have found genuine job offers on there but, in my experience, the genuine employers are the ones who provide an alternative email to the Craigslist contact or a physical address along with the name of the employer.

• Ka
      3rd of Jun, 2009

"Louise" wrote to me too! Bless her heart. I have received several "scam" responses; I agree with the writer above that experience is teaching me that most of the online job postings I've replied to turn out to be scams.