[Resolved] Waste Managementovercharged

Waste management has a little known clause in their contract which allows them to renew their refuse pick up contract with out permission from the client, then if you cancell their service they charge three months service fee with no service. The clause is not complaint with utah law but waste management will not rescind the charge even though the contract is not valid. The reason I changed service is because they charged me $165 for 3 yard container and I got a 4 yard container from their competition for $60 per month. I would advise anyone who has service from waste management to check with allied waste for a better price and service. So when it comes to garbage mouth — waste management is first in line.

• Resolution Statement

• Waste Management [WM] Customer Care's Response · May 27, 2016

Sorry to read about this experience, bbuchanan002. If you could please send us an email to [protected]@wm.com (Subject: CB) with your address and contact info, we’ll look into this further. ^DN

• Waste Management [WM] Customer Care's Response · Sep 25, 2019

Hello, I can certainly understand your frustration with this situation. It will be my pleasure to further look into this issue for you. Please email your address to [protected]@wm.com with the subject line COMPLAINTS BOARD along with a copy of your post and we will contact you right away. Thank you ^oj

Ma

Comments

Mar 05, 2010

I compared cost and found a competitor offering service for 1/3 of the Waste Management monthly cost. When I attempted to cancel I was surprised to learn the termination clause in the contract was difficult to meet and generally unreasonable.

Their contract term is for 36 months which is far too long. To cancel, you must do so no later than 90 days prior to contract expiration but no sooner than 180 days. There are penalties to be paid for early termination. It gives an example of terminating with more than 6 months left on the contract. That appears to be in conflict with their "no sooner than 180 days" policy.

I feel they are unethical in the way they have written the termination clause in their contracts. I am angry enough about this to initiate a consumer action. Is anyone else out there frustrated as I am?

• Mi
      Mar 31, 2017

@Joe Taylor I am going through the same thing here in NC. WM takes advantage of their customers, increasing fees even though they have the Auto Renewal clause that I did not realize was in it. I feel that if they change the terms, that is not the same as renewing. After I jump through the hoops and finally zero out, I will never use them again and advise and of my customers not to use them again. How can WM call itself ethical and screw people so badly? In my opinion, James C. Fish is not a good person, based on my experience.

• Ru

Apr 27, 2010
    Waste Management - WrongfulTerminate
    Selma
    North Carolina

I worked for WM for three years.One day my asigned truck was down for repairs .I call my manger and let him know what was wrong.He told me to drive a truck that has been tag out for repair .I took the tag out truck out after it was sign in for service by the mech.A week later i was wrote up for driving a unsafer truck .I call DOL and took a week off work.When i return back to work i was terminate.

• Du
      Jun 21, 2010
    Waste Management - Don't sign a contract with them
    wm.com

Don't sign a contract with them. They will lock you into a rolling contract. In order to cancel you have to send them a certified letter 90 days in advance of your 'expiration date'. If you don't, your contract rolls over for an entire new term. In my case it rolled to another 36 months. If I cancel, I have to pay a pickup fee $100, plus 6 months of billing in my case $906. Beware of this company!

Dec 20, 2010
    Best Best Advice

Waste Management and their trash service contract are ludicrous. Prices are too high. Contract length too long. Hoops to jump through to end contract too numerous.

• Ji
      Jul 19, 2011

The same thing happened to us. I even knew this last year and was ready to cancel this year at the end of the 3 year cycle but I was off a month. Now we are stuck another 3 years. We are so angry with this company, don't even know why they want such angry customers.

• Hc
      Oct 20, 2011
    Waste Management - Don't hire them!
    Waste Management

Almost 3 months and no fewer then 7 calls waiting about 20 minutes each for an operator - that is the time and effort spent trying to get WMs Delaware Franchise to pick up their recycling bin. It was delivered to me after I stopped the service. retty smart huh? Each time I am told we will pick it up this week. They are the worst. I would not recommend them to anyone.

Oct 21, 2011

My name is Lisa with Customer Care at Waste Management and I'm sorry to hear about your experience in getting your recycling bin picked up. Please send your account information and this post to [protected]@wm.com so that we can work with your local area and ensure this is taken care of promptly.

• Lo
      Nov 15, 2011
    Waste Management - Trash Pick-Up Service is Horrible
    Waste Management

WM is the worst trash pick up service I have ever had. They consistently failed to pick-up my trash and when I called to complain, they had the nerve to tell me it would be an additional $25 for them to make a special trip.

They had no concern of trying to make it right. I have since canceled and went with a local company who cares about their customer's needs.

Nov 16, 2011

Losjess: My name is Lisa with customer care at Waste Management. I am very sorry to hear that you experienced issues with pickup, and worse yet, that our handling of the problem failed to meet your expectations. I understand you have already switched providers, but I invite you to email us at [protected]@wm.com to share more information about your experience. Feedback like yours is important and appreciated. Thank you, Lisa

• Le
      Oct 27, 2012

I am also extremely unhappy with their contract. It was my understanding that the contract price was going to be the price I was going to pay. Every month the price is increasing and they now told me there is a disclaimer in the contract about this. Also, the 36 months was in very small print and I was not aware of this ridiculous length or I wouldn't have signed the paper. I would be more than happy to be involved in a dispute against waste management. They are terrible, misleading, and their contracts are very one sided.

• Ri
      Sep 14, 2013

Hope you still have the documentation for the ticket, but YOU as a CDL holder is RESPONSIBLE for inspecting the truck to make sure it is safe to drive. As for firing you, WM is WRONG to do that because YOU, as a CDL driver, KNOWS that people lives are on the line every time you get into a truck of that size. Take them to court with all the documentation you can get, and good luck.

Sep 23, 2013

Notice how similar all of Lisa's responses are. This clearly happens all the time, and they just read you the customer service boilerplate. But if you look at the complaints, the same problems keep happening year after year after year. Waste Management clearly has no intention of improving their service.

May 23, 2015

Completely agree with anything told above. Would be happy to join any legal action. Several people over the phone assured me the service can be terminated any time by account number or address. Then they set the date for termination. When i saw the bin still there they all backed up and now say we have 60 month term with them. We are offered the service 9 times cheaper, but these crooks do not let us go. BC, Canada

• Ra
      Sep 11, 2015

please include me in any class action suit that wants to break their contract with WM --- very unhappy with company triple the cost --wish i had checked better i am new land lord

Sep 12, 2015

Hi Randy, the lawyer said they might look into it, but it takes time and money, so we decided to minimize the service to the least possible amount and then cancel in 6 months, as they charge 6 months payment for cancellation. Hope it is going to work!

• Gr
      Jan 26, 2016

Roll over 36 month contract without notice. CLASS AUCTION LAWSUIT PLEASE!!

Jan 27, 2016

When dealing with WM check all their invoices carefully, as they use small print to advise on the price increase the next month. As soon as you see this advice, email or call them immediately and state you do not agree and want to cancel the service. They usually do not proceed with the increase, but you need to advise them within 30 days (check your contract for the exact timing). If you call them, make sure you register the name of the person and the time. Be especially vigilant if you live in a strata, as strata managers do not check the invoices and do not let you know when the service is going up, they just pay the invoices. Check the contract regarding the expiration date and do not miss 6 months' period. Try to minimize the service in these 6 months, as they will calculate the charge from the average. All this was only said for those who want to break their bondage.

• Bb
      May 07, 2016

Waste Management refused to pick my bagster. The bagster was placed next to the end of the driveway. I am at a loss to see how it was inaccessible.
    To add insult to injury I was charged a 50 dollars non-pickup fee. So now I have a useless 30 dollar bag and I'm 50 dollars poorer.

Jun 29, 2016

I have cancel service, due to terrible overchargeing...I have 4 two yards dumpsters that were filled over the top, and was charged 80 dollars on top of the normal dump, which is roughly 17 dollars a dump. Sounds like profiteering to me. Happened 6 dtimes in 2 months...I cancel service, and they are still charging me ...forget it, too complicated...
    DO NOT GO WITH THIS COMPANY...

Sep 14, 2016

After over 15 years with WM I completed my last contract with WM on 8/5/16 and had sent them their 90-day letter. They picked up their two 2 yd containers . They billed me for the whole month of August which I did not pay expecting a proration for the 5 days. September I get another bill with late charges and the credit proration but they only prorated the dumpster fees and not the fuel/ environmental/regulatory and admin fees, plus a late charge AND they charged $150 per container for removal plus the same fuel/ environmental/regulatory and admin fees on that $300. So my bill is now $448 rather than about $20. Calling their contract and billing department got me nowhere. Contract even stated that since I didn't renew they charged me all those costs. Talk about extortion!

I am filing a compliant with our states Attorney General Fraud Department and also informing our city council which is in the process of obtaining bids for a single collector for the city. WM is one of the bidders.

Absolutely the WORST company I've have dealt with in my 40 years of business. They have a business culture that rewards their employees for gouging their customers and perpetuating that process.

• Ar
      Mar 03, 2017

@rocketdog 165 Add me to your complaint [protected]@yahoo.com

• Un
      Sep 19, 2017

@rocketdog 165 WARNING TO ALL NEW POTENTIAL CUSTOMERS: DO NOT SIGN UP WITH THIS COMPANY!!! We agree it's absolutely the worst company and the secret billing info in fine print in the back of invoices is wrong!! No other company we know keeps charging once you cancel the service. How can they get away with such business practices and keep getting customers -- need to get out the word so they go out of business!

• Ar
      Mar 03, 2017

Because attempts to deceive and steal my money by fraud, I stopped your service almost half (!) years ago in Hollywood, FL.
    Since then I asked many times to remove your dumpster of my property and you ignore my request, continue to try and charge me and harassing me
    Please take your dumpster from my property and stop bothering me !

• Be
      Sep 07, 2017

Doesn't sound like a good company to buy stock in, thanks for all of the proof in the pudd'n peoples!

• Ti
      Nov 11, 2017

I sure Hate to here about y'all getting screwed over by WM. I know how it works and it IS just awful how they can get away with things, but not only them, other disposal companies as well do the same thing. You think you're getting a deal at first but when you notice on down the road, that it's not what you THOUGHT you signed up for.

Being a former supervisor over commercial disposal at a City government I tried and in some cases exposed on how much of them work (disposal companies). There are a few ways you can protect yourself and your company from these BULLIES.

You may also check with your local City Government and see if they offer the service before getting into any so called CONTRACT. Usually Cities are pretty even with everyone else, maybe a dollar or 2 higher or lower. I've listed a few things below that you can benefit from by using a Cities disposal service.

Just keep in mind that not every City offers the service but if they do, I think it would be better for any business-large or small. Hope this helps. And if y'all have any questions please feel free to shoot me an email [protected]@gmail.com
    Save $$$$
    No contracts
    Keeps tax $ in the community

• Up
      Mar 27, 2018

Our small business, 2 yard dumpster is picked up every other week and I just discovered another local business uses a competitor and pays about the same we do, for a 4 yard dumpster, every week ! No Contract !
    My boss signed a contract because she was told it would lower our rate -BIGGEST SCAM IN THE BUSINESS !
    Now I'm waiting to send that all important 90 day prior, (but not more than 180) certified, return receipt letter to get out of the contract, without paying for 6 months without service, in "Liquidated damages"
    STAY AWAY FROM WASTE MANAGEMENT AND THEIR DEVIOUS SCAMS AND SMALL PRINT.
    Please contact me if anyone finds a way to file a class action suit regarding their contracts and rates.
    I understand it wouldn't be the first time in court for them, and their contract includes legal fees billed to the customer for litigation.

Apr 03, 2018

I just canceled my service after getting a new quarterly bill that was 4 times the competitors rate. It took 3 phone calls to cancel. And they never said anything about a contract (don't remember signing one but it's been 20 years since we started the service), or having to pay because I didn't cancel early enough. After reading some of these post though I'm worried they are going to come after me for more money.
    When I called to cancel I asked why they are charging 4 times what a new costumer would pay and the extremely rude customer service manager just said it's a yearly increase they charge to do business. So I tried to emailed them from their website. I was allowed 500 characters to complain and try to explain. That was not enough to allow for the "B..H" I wanted to leave. I expected a response in 48 hours (as the website states) and all I got was an automatic reply saying they got my email.
    It's been two more weeks and two more phone calls trying to get a better explanation and to cancel. I am just done with them and their rude customer service people.
    I promised them I would tell anyone who would listen how bad I was treated and what a rip off they are. So here it is NEVER USE WASTE MANAGEMENT!

• Ei
      May 02, 2018

Our company cancelled our service with Waste Management for last service 1/31/18. I sent registered letter in September 2017 cancelling the service. We had been with them for over 25 years which I will say was continuous increase and without notice. Once you pay the increase you agree to the price with is in the fine print. They look for 3 year terms but the prices increase. It took more than a month for them to pick up the container and they kept sending invoices until April. They made an adjustment for the invoices but we still owe $288.00 to remove the container which I think is way over charge. I am so happy to be rid of them. We have another company which is half of what they charge. Really pretty sad when we were a customer for over 25 years. Shame on Waste Management.

May 06, 2018

The responses from Waste Management are all the same, nothing for something. That something being your money. Do everything you can to ask people to not do business with Waste Management and show them the letters/emails they send explaining their unreasonable and shady demands. Together people could cause them to change their business practices. Never miss an opportunity to warn people of this company.

• Un
      Sep 24, 2019

I am a residential customer and live in San Dimas California, and for 38 years I have been billed for my waste management trash service on my water bill. On the water bill it just stated the monthly rate for my trash service with no other explanations. At or around 2019 waste management started billing us directly with an invoice. I soon noticed that waste management has 3 different monthly rate schedules depending on the size trash container we have and that I was being over billed $4.08 a month.
    I called waste management and before I mentioned the over charge, I asked them how long they showed me at this rate schedule. The customer rep. looked up my account and told me ever since they started the 3 container pick-up service.
    2 weeks later waste management calls me and confirmed they did over charge but would only go back a year for reimbursement. I have been over charged for over 10 years, and all you crooks will do is reimburse me $48.96 !!
    I feel they could resolve this wrong doing by giving me the senior rate on my trash service now. I'm 62 so this would put me on the lower rate schedule 3 years early.

• Re
      Oct 25, 2019

Waste Management raised prices with no notice except in fine print on the bill when received. I checked with Republic and found the same service for 50% less. WM bills 3 months in advance and I had paid and cleared payment prior to the next service term $209.00. On calling to cancel they said no refund would be allowed as their "bill / contract" indicates that by submitting the payment they agree to perform the service - whether they perform the service or not - and that constitutes fulfillment of the agreement. No service performed - no refund - that's theft.