Washington Mutual - www.wamu.com / I hate WaMu!

Wamu has on 2 different occasions, held me and my husband direct deposits until transactions came through so that they could add overdraft fees to our account. I noticed for instance, my pay day is on Friday.. my deposit happends around 1am on Friday morning. I checked and the money was in there so I went a purchased a money order for my rent. This was at Walmart around 2pm on Friday. When I checked my account I had an overdraft charge for the money order. I called the 800 number for customer svc and was told that I made the transaction before my deposit went through. I went into the branch and this guy told me the overdraft was for a 2.00 transaction from Thursday. Then all of a sudden I see a credit for the over draft fee. They were too simple to just say we made a mistake and will credit it,instead he made me think it was my mistake and the corrected it when I left. This is just ridiculous. I still cant get the 2nd one removed but I am cancelling my acct with them because I dont want to do business with crooks. Thanks.

Ke

Comments

• Li
      1st of Nov, 2007

Hi All –

If you have a home loan from Washington Mutual you can learn more about this investigation by visiting http://www.hbsslaw.com/wm.htm.

• Li
      21st of Nov, 2007

Hi All!

I work with a Seattle-based law firm that is investigating Washington Mutual and First American Corporation based on complaints the companies have conspired to artificially inflate housing appraisals. As I am sure you are all well aware the appraisal of a home is important when determining the loan you will receive, including monthly payments, APR and more. If these prices were artificially inflated to benefit WaMu and First American it could mean you have overpaid for your home and subsequently have an inflated mortgage. This could also cause problems if you ever fall behind on your loan---another lender isn’t going to accept the inflated value of your home--meaning you can’t refinance.

• Rj
      20th of Jan, 2008

My partner and I also transferred money from our checking accounts into our wamu account we jointly use for house payments, and common expenses. They bounced our checks saying that after the funds post to the account, they add a 3 business day hold. They reversed the overdraft fees but refused to reimburse us for the overdraft and late fees bofa charged us due to their mistake. When wamu found out we were two males, they refused to talk with us in person claiming homophobia!

• Do
      6th of Feb, 2008

i have overdraft protection but they charged me 32 dollars for 10 checks that were over drawn. what is overdraft protection for if not to cover the checks. I had to pay 300 dollars in overdraft fees I plan to close my account with wamu as soon as I can

• Gi
      11th of Apr, 2008

I was very happy w/ what WAMU offered me when applying for a credit card. Without notice, and having never been late on a payment, my rate went from a very small APR to almost 30%. I was about to make a large balance transfer. I'm so glad I hesitated. It is impossible to get someone to discuss the problem with. I agree that WAMU are crooks. Wish everyone who has experienced problems would come to this website. WAMU would be out of buisiness. I plan to close my account immediately!

22nd of Jul, 2008

Wamu SUCKS!!! its very true that they do that n then make you pay the overdraft charges...its ridiculous..i HATE THAT BANK!!! DO NOT OPEN AN ACCOUNT WITH WAMU, SAVE YOURSELF THE TROUBLE

6th of Aug, 2008

A similar thing happened to me. I called the bank and the manager was very disrespectful and blamed me for what happened. I got about $300 overdraft charges. I will never do business with Wamu!!

• Cl
      8th of Aug, 2008

I wanted to share my own (positive) experiences on the subject..

In terms of overdraft fees, I have always found them to be really good about about giving you the O.D. fee money back if you ask nicely. They have refunded many OD fees for me... and the overdrafts weren't their fault.. this was when I was learning to keep track of my accounts and I'd forget to write something down etc.

I've even had one experience where the teller literally REFUNDED AN OVERDRAFT FEE THAT I DIDN'T HAVE (essentially gave my account $33) so that I wouldn't go into overdraft when a check that I had written was cashed. This blew me away!

And no I don't work for wamu, know anyone who does, have stocks in it or anything like that!!! I've just had some realy good experiences.

It's all about being nice and communicating. Think positive.

• Ke
      11th of Aug, 2008

I will never have another account with WAMU. They are crooks and their customer service is down right disrespectful, unhelpful and insulting.

WARNING: DONT DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THEM.

I had an experience dealing with theft and they claimed that they were legitimate debits. They were in fact not as my card was stolen. I am out and still am out $1300. My acct is only allowed to have $500 taken out per day so explain why $1300 was able to disappear and then be told that it was a "computer glitch". Seems funny to me then how this is my fault. I was denied compensation and closed my accounts promptly.

• Ra
      12th of Aug, 2008

Well my car broken into and in my car was an EXPERIDED debit card and some checks. We called the bank to let them know what had happened, they took care of the checks and told us there was no reason for us to worries about the card because it was EXPERIDED. Well I got home to find out the people had used my card. So I called the bank and as I was on the phone with them my card was being used. I asked them to close the card right at that time and gave them the police report number. As I was told they did so I got back on my computer to find they had used my card again, so I called the bank back and was told my card was not closed, only my husbands was. Crazy because his was not the one that was taken, and they were told that right away. Well 5 more calls that night and about 12 more lies for a manager the card got closed.
    Two months later I got a letter in the mail telling me that the money they refunded me was going to be taken out of my account because they wasn’t enough evidence. Well can you tell me how there is 3 people in jail because of this. So I called the bank and was told there was no manager there but they would have one call me not later than 24 hours from that time well it has been 1 ½ weeks now and no call. So I went into to the bank after trying to call them 2 more time and no phone call back. I talk to the manager at the branch gave her all the paper work I had court dates that I had been to case numbers and every other pieces of paper work I could find. Well the manager was not help and just said she would get to it when she could and here I am today, told I was lying when I had a police report, 3 people in jail, court dates coming up, witnesses and many more things. Hope this never happens to any of you.

18th of Aug, 2008

No No No... Wamu Mugged me, and I've told then that on several occassions if felt safer with muggers in the street that with Wamu they have on many occassions held my moneis allowed my bills to go thru then 10 min later allow the deposits to show chargeing me bounce checks, and other fees, they stay that I have to go to my branch and they are never any help the only reason I keep a bare min. with them is because i've had this account for some time and my banks been bought and sold and i'm hoping they get brough out again BARE MIN.

• Ca
      4th of Sep, 2008

Don't get a credit card with this company. I am 71 and my account had been paid on time when they raised my interest to 30.9%. They refuse to work with me or lower my interest rate. It has nearly caused me to have a stroke. They have called me every other day at 8:30 a.m. to harass me when they won't lower my rate so I can make a reasonable payment. My payment has over $300 for interest alone.

• Yo
      14th of Sep, 2008

Our town paper had people call to subscibe to the paper for $15.00 for three months. Well...they put in the amount for $150.00. There were checks bouncing from California to the east. We had overdrafts in the amount $500.00 plus. Went to the paper with conformatiom# and it took over two weeks to solve. MY WaMu reversed all charges and with my proof, called my creditors to say it was not my boo-boo, and followed up with a letter...Yeah WAMU!

22nd of Sep, 2008

The WaMu card pmt was only $22.00/month and I can afford to pay about $85.00/month, but they won't raise the credit limit. I explained I needed to buy tires and I could make the payment, but they refuse tio even listen to me...that's not good customer service, no wonder they are in financial trouble.

22nd of Sep, 2008

Hey...I was the lady that they would not raise my credit limit so I could buy tires...even though I could afford more than $85.00/month, AND THAT'S AFTER I HAD A WAMU SAVINGS ACCOUNT WITH MORE THAN $20, 000.00 IN IT FOR 30 YEARS...maybe WAMU should look and give credit to people who will pay it back !

• Er
      29th of Sep, 2008

i hate wamu. they take forever to post transactions and when they finally do they do it at the moment where they know you dont have enough funds so that they can charge you the overdraft fees. im so glad theyre out of business. this is pay back karmas a bit**h

• Ca
      3rd of Oct, 2008

I havc a complaint also we got behind about 4 months in our payments and forclosure was close. I sent the payments plus the lawyers fees and other attached fees on May 6, 2008 on or about 5/8/08 I recieved a UPS sent letter from wamu which clearly states that during "the month of May" any one behind would be allowed to pay their payments only and the fees would be put at the end of the loan. I called to see if I could be re-imbursed but of course I could not, I truly wished at that time that they just went ahead and took my house because I am very tired of wamu and do not feel they are looking out for their customers at all. I have also told everyone I know to not do business with them.

• Le
      4th of Oct, 2008

yes wa mu is the worst bank when i make a deposit the hold it for three days i asked why do you do this the said nothing i am affaird to write a check for this account cause the would probley bounce it wa mu sucks

• Da
      14th of Oct, 2008

I hate these ppl. HATE is no quite strong enough. I've been through the ringer with these crooks. my wife went in to inquire about overdraft protection which we apparently already had... next thing she knew, the dumbarse teller opened up a credit card and stopped our overdraft protection. We've now had to pay out hundreds in overdraft charges. Stupid ones at that, like a dollar over b/e they decided to not let the deposit post in time etc. They are crooks - this was in white plains, NY and Norwalk, CT. They were both the same. I wonder if it would make a difference to make them take some sort of competency test like - walk in straight line! DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE!

• De
      3rd of Nov, 2008

WAMU are a bunch of crooks! There is absolutely zero customer service.

Unfortunately, I've had the same issues with these fools as many of you others have reported, whereby they post transactions late in order to occur overdraft fees. Talk about "daylight robbery". Because of their dishonest behavior with my account unfortunately my name now appears in chex systems and therefore when I've tried to close down my account with these robbers and open a new account elsewhere (where they are honest and upstanding) I have been turned away - and thru no fault of my own. It is extremely unfair and sadly chex systems are of no help either!

Thankfully though I have discovered COMPASS Bank and they are wonderful!

If you're looking for a new bank please, do yourself a favor and save yourself alot of trouble and stay clear of WAMU!!