Washington Mutual/chase Banks / Inability to actually deposit money

It is amazing. One truth that used to exist with banking systems was that you could always deposit money into accounts. If you are unfortunate enough to be a WaMu customer and in the state of IL, you apparently cannot deposit checks without significant effort and time. ATMs do not accept deposits. Bank by mail no longer is allowed. Dropping deposits into night depositories are not allowed. You must drive long distances to the one or two remaining banks that will even talk to you - so you can make your deposit. Of course, you can take money out of any Chase or WaMu ATM you can find - but this does not help at all if you cannot actually PUT the money into the account in the first place.

I lost, for each time I have to make a deposit, 4 hours of working time - one can only bank M - F, 9 am to 5 pm. So I had to waste my vacation time on making a deposit and the 90 minute commute in EACH direction to the nearest branch. Funny - there is a Chase bank around 1 mile from my home but they do not accept WaMu deposits.

Comments

• At
      9th of Sep, 2009

I agree with you, but have you talked to the Chase branch about accepting your deposit and mailing it in?

I opened an account in CA, but now live in NY. I can walk into the NY branch, and deposit with a teller. They have me sign a check they've written and they mail in my deposit. They SAY that it will take 3-5 days but every time my money shows up in my account the very next morning.

Good luck!

• Tm
      13th of Sep, 2009

My WaMu account was opened in Ga, and I am now in California, and cant deposit without going in to a branch during their banking hours (which basically means saturday morning since I am AT WORK during the week when they are open and commute via train, and no branches within walking distance). The explanation I got was that California is "still on the old computers" and will switch sometime in OCTOBER!! and until then they have to do special things to make deposits work!? WTF! I am changing banks. All their ads claim they are making it "more convenient" to bank, where as they have created a 2 month gap where I have to go into a branch during a specific few hours on one day a week I would rather be out doing something else just to make a deposit. Ugh

• Tm
      21st of Oct, 2009

October is almost over, and I still cannot make deposits... Goodbye chase, you SUCK!

29th of Oct, 2009

Deposited money. Never showed up. Went to the bank with all three deposit slips AND four check stubs. They said they would have to "investigate" it. How much more could I offer? In the meanwhile the overdraft charges stay! THIS is the bank my tax dollars paid for????