Washington Mutual / Anyone that considers opening accounts with them should beware!

On 09/18/2006 I noticed that a customer Withdrawal had been made from my joint account (my husband is on it also) for $471.65. Neither myself or my husband authorized any withdrawal from our account since all the money in there was for bills and gas till next payday. I called customer service and they said they couldn't help me, I had to go to the branch. My husband went to the branch the next day and wa told they couldn't help hin, He had to call customer service, On 09/19/2006 I called customer service again about the withdrawal and was told that I had to put in a dispute about it and They would contact me in 7/10 days. It is now two weeks later and having made numerous phone calls to them, it is still not resolved. All I want is my money back. I will never do business with WAMU again. Anyone that considers opening accounts with them should beware!!! I am about to take this up with the banking commissioner and the attorney general.

Cynthia

Cy

Comments

• Va
      21st of Dec, 2006

I don't think I have ever really truly felt disappointment in any of the banks I've been with until now - with Washington Mutual.

Years ago, I remember starting out with Bank of America and then moving to Wells Fargo because I always had some sort of a complaint about their outrageous fees or customer service. Eventually, I landed with Washington Mutual because of their "Free Checking" and being a college student, the word "Free" always meant a good thing, right?

So about a month ago, on a Sunday in November, there was an outrageous amount withdrawn from my checking account, using my debit card, or so I was told by a WAMU representative. Luckily, I must have caught it the day it had been done because it hadn't posted to my account yet. So I called the 1-800 number and talked to someone, who I guessed was not located at a U.S. call center since she had a very thick accent. I discussed my problem with her and calmly told her that I had not charged anything that huge to my account and that would they please block it from going through to keep my account from being extremely negative and me getting charged with an overdraft fee. Of course, the woman says "no, we can't do that. We have to wait for it to post..." I couldn't even file a dispute about it at that time! Basically she told me that I had to go for a few days with a -$900 in my checking account. I was furious! This wasn't a credit card, where I could care less about the balance while the company did their investigation - this was cash that I had to live on to pay bills, eat, buy groceries or even pay my rent!! And they couldn't do a damn thing about it except wait for the fraudulent charge to go through?!

After the initial shock and frustration wore off, I walked into the nearby branch the next day and spoke to the branch manager.

He didn't really tell me anything different - I have to wait for the amount to post, sign an affidavit the next day when the amount should have posted and then they'd go ahead with the investigation. He closed my current debit card and issued me a new one. About a week later, the mysterious pending charge went away - probably because there wasn't enough funds for it to go through! - and I thought ok, maybe they fixed it or it really was some sort of mistake on the merchant's side. I even thought that maybe WAMU was trustworthy, after all. By this time, I had received my new debit card - minus its PIN number, and it was right on time because I was due for a week-long vacation!

So what happens when I come back from vacation and try to cash in two refund checks I had received in the mail in one of their branches?? Can you imagine this - strolling into the branch to cash in checks right before work, thinking that you're only intent is to cash in the checks to have cash in your pocket since you can't access your account through the ATM. I get up to the teller window and she even tells me to sign the checks but a minute later she says that there was a restraint put on my checking account! The teller had to make some inquiry calls. So I've already waited about fifteen minutes in line and if I didn't leave right then I would be very late to work. After about three minutes that the teller was put on hold, I tell her "I'm sorry, but I can't just wait here while you're waiting on the phone because I have to go to work. I'll just come back tomorrow." And I left with my two uncashed checks and only about three dollars in cash in my pocket.

I returned the next day, about two hours before I was due at work to give myself plenty of time in the bank. I ended up speaking to the branch manager who told me the same thing. ACH put a restraint on my account because it had been compromised and that they couldn't do anything about my money in the account until they took off the restraint, which wouldn't be during the weekend. So he compromised with me - he would open a new account and cash my refund checks so I'd have money for the weekend. And that I just had to return on Monday to transfer my money from the old account. I said ok.

On Monday, I went back. Honestly, I was starting to get sick of having to go back to the bank almost everyday just to straighten out my account. I told the person helping me that I wanted to leave some money in my old account because I had an automatic debit going through for a bill. So she says ok, ends up transferring everything into the new account and tells me that there's a "penny pay-through" that would allow any automatic payments in the old account pull funds from the new account. And I said ok because it made sense to me. I asked her if I was able to use my new debit card and she assures me it does work - it is linked to the new account. Then I finally leave the branch, thinking "finally, it's settled, I have a new account that works." And what happens to me at a department store when I try to buy a simple gift certificate?? The card doesn't work. I try to pay with a new check I was issued when I opened up the new account. That check doesn't work as well! I end up paying with cash and going back to the bank branch. I told them neither the card nor the check worked. What the hell was I supposed to do?? They still assured me that the card should work and that the checking account was active - maybe it took a day for the systems to update. Great, so I decided to pull out a bunch of cash for just in case, leaving a good amount in the account for my automatic charges.

The next day I decided to check my balance to see if my automatic payments went through. One went through for my cellular phone payment. But to the old one where there was no longer any money in it. My question - what the heck happened to the penny pay through crap?? So I had to take care of this. Luckily, I was able to transfer funds back from my new account to cover the balance but I definitely refused to pay the overdraft fee that they were trying to charge me. Why should I pay for it when they obviously know I have money with them and it was them that made me transfer everything over in the first place instead of leaving some money in the old account. I had to talk to about three or four different people before I finally got to a supervisor who was able to credit me back for that overdraft fee.

My only problem left was the most important preauthorized payment I had that should have gone through did not. Another WAMU customer representative told me that the payment had been bounced back to the company instead of pulling funds from the new account. So instead of calling the 1-800 number again I call my branch instead and spoke to the bank manager who had opened up my new account. He was unable to reverse the blocked payment but he offered to pay any fees the company charged. After I called the company they said they couldn't set up another automatic debit - it was either a MO, cashier's check or a wire transfer, which all of them costs a certain fee, plus whatever fee the company charged me for the unsuccessful debit.

It was like one problem after another after another. I didn't even get a single call from WAMU to notify me of the "restraint" they put on my account. They're online banking says they'd send an email. But if you're going to put a restraint on a person's checking account which would you prefer - contact via email or via phone? I would prefer to be notified by phone where an actual person explains to me WHY. Ok, I understand it's a means to solve the compromised account but they should really let you know ahead of time and not just do it so I find out when i walk into the branch and all I'm trying to do is cash in a simple check.

This situation just makes me feel uncomfortable with this bank and completely unable to trust WAMU with my hard-earned money or automatic bill payments. It's just a huge, huge inconvenience for me to pay extra fees just to wire a payment because the payment of the month was bounced back - courtesy of WAMU, when I was told - assured - that it should have gone through after opening and transferring money into a new account.

The bottom line? I'm saying good-bye to the bank I was so loyal to for 6 years. I'm so extremely disappointed in your services and don't think I could ever do business with you again.

By the way, did you know that many of WAMU's call centers are located in the Philippines?? Sometimes it's even hard to understand the person you're talking to because their English is limited. It's true. I found the information online.

• So
      27th of Mar, 2007

I know how Washington mutual operate. Wamu has some of the most dishonest people working for them that have no idea of what their jobs consist of. The customer is the last one considered. How I know is because I work for them. They are always cheating customers. At this point they are so dishonest to the point that I am considering filing with the U.S. Dept. of Labor and provide proof of how they are cheating mortgagers. If you know any mortgagers who have complained about being cheated in anyway have them to email me.

• So
      20th of Aug, 2007
    Washington Mutual - Liars

About a month ago somebody used my ATM (mastercard) and draft money on several ATM and also on ATM on Losvegas. I notified the bank right away as soon as i saw the unauthorized activities. After a month and a half the bank is refusing to give me the money. Some of the money has been drafted after i notified the bank and my card has been canceled. I called the 800 they have no body can help me, i also went several times to the Branch in Rolling Hills and each time only they have 2 employees and they say they are shorthanded and they can not help me. i really need help and it looks it is inside job.

• Br
      20th of Aug, 2007

How did they get your card? Did you loose it? If so how did they know your pin number?

• Ha
      26th of Aug, 2007

go to the nearest police station, file a complaint against bank.

• Ti
      28th of Aug, 2007
    Washington Mutual - Washington Mutual will not admit they are wrong!

I owed a company and certain amount of money, I had issued them a check that I substituted for cash, when I requested for my check back they stated that "WAMU" has my check. I called WAMU and requested a stop payment on this check and a couple of days later WAMU let the cash get check after my request for it to be stopped! It left my account in the negative. I called WAMU and explained to them that they OVERRIDE their policy and let this check be cashed anyway. They would not admit that they screwed up and refused to pay me back my funds. I WILL NEVER SUGGEST THAT ANYONE BANK WITH WAMU... THEY ARE HOME OF THE LIARS AND NOT HOME OF THE FREE!!!

• Ni
      31st of Aug, 2007
    Washington Mutual - Unfair prepayment penalties!
    www.Wamu.com

I financed my home with a primary and secondary mortgage from Washington Mutual. After the loss of my job, I could no longer afford the mortgage payments. Instead of risking a foreclosure, I found a motivated buyer and began a quick close on my property. At signing, I realized that WaMu charged a total of $21,394 in prepayment penalties, which was not something that I was made aware prior. I am left with no capital to rent or purchase another home. Is there something that I am missing in trying to the $21,000+, that is rightfully mine...

• Kn
      12th of Sep, 2007
    Washington Mutual - Liars

My son in law pays his bills on time and more than the minimum amount. He received a notice that his interest rate was being increased from approximately 7% to over 22% and he called and was left on hold for over 30 minutes trying to reach a supervisor, who finally told him they couldn't change it back and couldn't tell him why, but that it would be in a letter. The letter is a form letter and states that they have researched their accounts and that his debt to income ratio doesn't meet their standards and they believe he is a credit risk, so they are upping his interest rate... This sounds like a scam, my son in law has a high Fica score and I need to find out where I can officially complain regarding this unfair business practice going on in California, where the consumer fortunately has better protection against predators like Washington Mutual.

12th of Sep, 2007

They did the same exact thing to my wife and I... moved money around without telling us, and it resulted in tons of hidden fees that would not have happened if they hadn't done this.

They are a lousy, thieving bank. I'm still fighting them for the $600+ they ran up on me in overdraft fees that would never have happened if they hadn't done this.

It seems they do these transfers just to generate more fees.

• Cr
      22nd of Sep, 2007

Hi im new to your bank. I have been getting a lot of letters saying im overdrawn. Im not i havent even started really banking with you guys and i get this letters telling me i have been making transactions i never even made a deposit our wrote a check. So i dont now what you are trying to do. But you need to correct this statments please. Thank you crystal arnold account # 311-466537-2

• Mr
      9th of Oct, 2007

This is the second time I have been inside of Wamu bank and the teller is very rude.His name is Jonathan and the location I was at was Norcross Peachtree,#7296. The first time he acted like he was to good to put anything in my hand he was acting very racial. So today I'm waiting in line to be waited on and he's sending the lady over to me asking me what is going on? Questing me like I don't have no right being there cause I was letting others go ahead of me cause I was waiting on Sushma get finish with the other customer. He has been picking on me and I do not like that at all. He acts very raciest towards me cause why would you send another teller over to question me like that. That is so very disrespectful and I'm filing a complaint on him today.

• Va
      7th of Nov, 2007
    Washington Mutual - Another Washington Mutual customer service nightmare

Washington Mutual - www.wamu.com

I have been trying for 4 months now to get my address changed on my Wamu account after I moved. First I called and completed the change, (or so I thought). The lady said it may take a month before I'd start getting my statements at my new place. It seemed a little long, but I figured no biggie since I could pick up any stray mail from my old roomates until it went through. After a month and a half, and still no statements or mail from Wamu, I called again and was told there was no record of my request. We did it again, and again I was told it would take about a month to go through. After another month and a half or more, I decided to call again and was told, after waiting 10 minutes on hold, that it hadn't gone through because somehow the last 2 digits of my zip code were missing from my request,(remember, I gave the info over the phone,but somehow they didn't have it). I asked why they didn't just call me since they also had my phone #,or look it up online, but they didn't have an answer. I let them know I was not a happy camper, and was assured by the guy that they would bypass the normal red tape and that it would be done "within 24 hours". I stupidly took his word because he sounded so concerned and compassionate,(picture a Toby McGuire type, super nice rep who is going to get to the bottom of your problem because,"that should never have happened, and I will personally take care of this,you have my word and sincere apology for any inconvenience this mistake has caused you.") I hung up glowing with that good feeling you get when a persistent problem is finally solved.

What a sucker I was!!! I didn't double check it,(like an idiot), and assumed all was well finally. I did notice that I still hadn't seen a statement in awhile, but assumed I had just missed one after the change had gone through,-WRONG!! About 3 weeks after that last session, I was shopping on Ebay and spotted a great bargain on a guitar that I wanted to buy. It had just been listed,and had a "buy it now" price that was about a fifth of its actual value and I wanted to snatch it up before someone else nabbed it. I pushed the button to buy it now, and when I tried to pay for it got a message that the buyer only accepts paypal payments from accounts with a "confirmed address". That means my shipping address had to match the one that my bank sends my statements to in order to complete the purchase. I decided to bypass Wamu "customer service", and tried to go online to do it myself if possible. I was relieved to see that indead I could change it myself and proceeded to change it,or at least I thought I did. It's a simple 3 step process, and since I was in a hurry, I thought I was done when I got to the step 3 page and didn't see anything at all to click. I had already filled out my new info, etc., and thought I was done. I went back to Ebay to buy the guitar, and it happened again, -payment refused because of an unconfirmed address. I went back to the site and did it again and this time noticed that step 3 just doesn't have any options, or buttons at all to push in order to complete the process. It's a complete dead end, so in effect there was no way in hell for me to change it myself at all. I went back to Ebay to beg the seller to accept my payment, but of course the guitar was gone by then. That was Wednesday. I called Wamu again early this morning,(Friday), and spoke to a executive level customer service, who assured me that I had finally reached the place that could and would absolutely fix the problem.

He said someone would be calling me "most likely today, or at the latest on Monday about it. I haven't heard a damn thing all day, (8 pm now). I can't wait for monday to see if they actually call me back. I have no expectations of that happening at this point. I will be changing banks as soon as it's convenient, even if they call me Monday and have fixed the problem,(in which case I'm going to call the Pope and report a miracle). To anyone at Wamu bothers to read this:-YOUR VERSION OF CUSTOMER SERVICE IS A BAD BAD JOKE TO BE INFLICTING ON YOUR CUSTOMER/VICTIMS. I HAVE TO LAUGH WHEN I SEE YOUR COMMERCIALS TOUTING YOUR SUPPOSED ATTENTION TO YOUR CUSTOMERS, -WHAT A ABSOLUTE CROCK!!! YOU HAVE BY FAR THE WORSE CUSTOMER SERVICE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE,(AND I'M 51 YEARS OLD AND HAVE SEEN PLENTY OF CUSTOMER SERVICE PROBLEMS IN MY LIFE!!!). WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?? IT'S UNBELIEVABLE. JUST GROW A DAMN BRAIN ALREADY AND START TREATING PEOPLE RIGHT, OR AT LEAST QUIT LYING ABOUT YOUR "CUSTOMER SERVICE" IN YOUR ANNOYING COMMERCIALS. I AM SHARING MY STORY WITH THE PUBLIC HERE, AND ALL MY FRIENDS, AND ANYTIME THE SUBJECT OF BANKING COMES UP, THIS STORY WILL BE TOLD.

WHAT UTTER AND COMPLETE ###S YOU MUST BE TO SOMEHOW GET IT THAT PEOPLE WANT GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE, THEN TREAT PEOPLE LIKE CRAP WHO NEED HELP. WHOEVER IS THE HEAD OF CUSTOMER SERVICE SHOULD BE INSTANTLY CANNED IN MY OPINION. IS GEORGE BUSH MOONLIGHTING THERE BY ANY CHANCE??? SEEMS LIKE IT.

I WILL HAVE A PARTY THE DAY YOU ARE SWALLOWED UP BY SOME OTHER BANKING INSTITUTE, AND I WON'T HAVE TO SEE YOUR [censored] SPOTS ON TV AGAIN. I dare anyone from Wamu to reply to this. I'd love to hear a good excuse for all this. I hereby give permission for this website to give my name and phone # to any Wamu rep who contacts you and wants to talk to me personally. MAKE MY DAY PUNK!!! LETS HEAR IT. TELL ME HOW SORRY YOU ARE THAT THIS IS HAPPENING AND HOW YOU WILL TAKE CARE OF IT PERSONALLY. - I [censored]ING DARE YOU. GROW SOME BALLS - CALL ME, (THE CUSTOMER YOU CARE SO MUCH ABOUT)-LOL.

WHAT A BUNCH OF SCREWUPS!!! ENOUGH SAID.

• Er
      27th of Nov, 2007

The same thing happened to me. I went from 8% to 22%!! I owe a lot on that card and my minimum payment went up about 100 a month. They said that the interest hike was in the updated terms and conditions, sorry, you should have read it. I told them were to shove it and closed the account. I had it for eight years, never made a late payment. Now I'm stuck paying this huge amount of interest. Jerks!

• Ka
      30th of Dec, 2007
    Washington Mutual - Customer service calls answered in Phillippines!
    Washington Mutual

Don't use this bank if you will ever need customer service (see other reviews! Believe me, You'll need it!). The customer service calls are answered all over the world, including Manilla Phillipines. In addition, they can't speak English. They can't even pronounce Washington Mutual, which was sad. Once I was tired of repeating and respelling things over and over to many different people, I asked if they were in the US and they lied to me and said they were in the Seattle area. I asked them a very simple geography question about the Seattle area and they had no clue what the answer was. I was later told that they were instructed not to tell the customers that they were out of the country, but that rule has since changed.

I went into my branch to discuss this with someone and what I got was a haughty, indignant attitude from the manager, who loudly told me that outsourcing was now industry standard, and I would not find another bank that did things differently. I then listed at least 5 banks in the immediate area that are locally owned and calls were answered in our own city. He then tried to change the subject, "So, then what can I do for YOU?"

I called Corporate office and the nice lady that answered said that it was pretty unpopular with the customers, but that the call outsourcing was a corporate decision that she could not change. She said that the best thing to do would be to voice your opinion at the corporate level and possibly if enough people call or close their accounts, the "suits" might sit up and take notice.

I have been a customer for almost 20 years and I am going to a local bank. Do yourself a favor, THINK LOCAL... use a Credit Union, or a local bank, something other than this huge monstrosity of a company.

• Ka
      30th of Dec, 2007

I have been a customer for almost 20 years and I am going to a local bank. Do yourself a favor, THINK LOCAL...use a Credit Union, or a local bank, something other than this huge monstrosity of a company.

21st of Jan, 2008
    Washington Mutual - Horrible Customer Service
    California
    Phone: 559-970-7659
    www.wamu.com

On many occasions I have incurred overdraft fees. Usually I incur these from transactions taking 2 weeks to show up! When I ask wamu to reverse these fees not only does it take them literally two weeks to respond to me but then they say there is nothing that can be done because it is bank error. Recently I had a 6.00 charge go through that wasn't supposed to the company refunded my 6.00 but I am still stuck with a 30.00 fee! When I e-mailed Wamu regarding this and said I could show proof that it was not my fault they said there was nothing they could do since it was not bank error and that I should take it up the merchant who caused the overdraft. They even say on their account information that we are allowed one free overdraft fee reversal a year I have yet to obtain that yet. Their customer service sucks, their website is slow and always has issues, and transactions take forever to show up. I have a Wells Fargo account too and almost (very very rarley) have any issues especially with overdraft fees. I even have overdraft protection set up on my Wells account and it works perfect. I have asked for the same from WAMU but they never respond and let me know how. And calling on the phone is an even bigger joke their reps are rude and unhelpful it is always well, their is nothing I can do about that for you today.

• Ga
      31st of Jan, 2008

To everyone who is having problems with WAMU:

I have also had some problems and did some research. You can actually report them to the feds and they will investigate. Though it takes a little while - it WILL be helpful if everyone who has a complaint contacts them.

You should contact:

Telephone: (650) 746-7000
    Fax: (650) 746-7001

Mail: P.O. Box 7165
    San Francisco, California 94120-7165

Good luck with your problems in getting them resolved!

• Co
      14th of Feb, 2008
    Washington Mutual - Terrible service!
    Montrose
    Colorado
    Phone: 970-240-0050

I have two homes financed with Washington Mutual. Both loans were sold to that company by the original lender. I also have a credit card through WaMu. In dealing with the company in both mortgage and card departments I have found wait times to speak to a representative to be sometimes in excess of 30 minutes. Service reps are both uncaring and unmotivated, and supervisors are rude and cold.

We recently were forced to spend many hours working some of these people because those in their processing departments either cannot read or comprehend simple documents. After changing home insurers and sending proof of insurance to WaMu, we find that their clerks cannot tell the difference between a proof of insurance and a bill. Consequently, even though I had paid the insurer myself, WaMu proceeded to disburse funds from my escrow accounts to the insurance company -- not just once but THREE TIMES IN 72 HOURS... AND OUT OF THE WRONG ACCOUNTS. Next thing I find is that one escrow account is depleted by several hundred dollars and the second is down in the negative balance column.

Their card services are just as bad. Reps are surly and some cannot speak the language clearly. Statements are made which are not true and accurate and calling to correct errors is usually an ordeal. I have closed the card account after only 5 months. Obviously the house mortgages are not so easily disposed of. However, I am a very successful real estate broker who is frequently in a position to influence buyer decisions regarding lenders and financing details. Enough is enough. I'm tired of the crap, rude behavior, broken promises and poor service from those that expect me to pay them. I will do without rather than do business with WaMu again.

• Ji
      19th of Feb, 2008
    Washington Mutual - Credit Card
    www.providian.com

After over three years of sterling payment history wtih Washington Mutual on two different Visa cards issued by them, I opened one of the two bills this month to find they had jacked my APR to 24.99 percent, a full 8 percent!! I was advised by someone at customer service who spoke English as a second language that I was "sent a notice in November 2007 that explained if you do not close your account, you agree to an increase (repricing) of your interest rate up to 24.99 percent." Of course they hid that in the fine print of a paper bill that I have no use for, as I do all of my payments online, not through the mail. I tried to get them to reverse the rate hike back to the original interest rate given my past loyalty, sterling payment history, etc., but they could only "apologize for the inconvenience." I asked them to close my account and now I'lll have to take forever to pay off the outstanding balance thanks to the jacked up interest rate. Another very unhappy Washington Mutual customer here...

• Ji
      19th of Feb, 2008

Washington Mutual's "business" practices, if you can call grand larceny that, are unconscionable and outrageous. My interest rate was also jacked over 24 percent, and for no good reason, as my debt to income ratio is hardly a "credit risk." I also pay my bills on time with them every single month over three years and have always paid more than the minimum, often paying a multiple of the minimum. Thankfully, we can all vote with our wallets by closing our accounts with them and paying them off as quickly as possible so they can't get another dime of our money.