Washington Mutual Bank / Levy/Lien on Checking Account

1 TX, United States Review updated:

A levy/lien was placed on my checking account by a law firm in New York as a result of an outstanding debt. When i became aware of the levy/lien, i contacted the law firm, made arrangements to pay off my debt and was given a release to give to Washington Mutual Bank. It has been nearly two weeks and i still cannot access my account; despite me faxing the release to WAMU levy/lien department three (3) times.

I was fortunate enough to speak to a lovely and extremely helpful manager name Jessica who requested i fax the release to her and she in turn will fax it directly to the levy/lien department. Again, a week later and they refuse to let me access my checking account. When Jessica contacted the levy/lien department herself they had the audacity to tell her they never received it, this was an intercompany fax. Jessica in turn re-faxed the release and was kind enough to give me a courtesy call advising me of same.

Please help me access my checking account. It has been nearly two weeks and i have been unable to pay bills or deposit checks into my account, let alone go Christmas shopping.

Sincerely,

Michael Colberg
[protected]@msn.com

Mi

Comments

• Em
      23rd of Sep, 2008
    Washington Mutual Bank - the bank reinvested my money without my approval and ignoring my written instructions
    WASHINGTON MUTUAL
    HARRISON STREET
    Hollywood
    Florida
    WAMU.COM

WHEN MY CD MATURED I WAS IN EUROPE ( I WILL BE HOME OCT.16TH)
    DURING THE GRACE PERIOD I CALLED THE BANK EMAIL
    THEM WHAT I WANT WITH MY MONEY.THEY IGNORED MY REQUEST AND REINVESTED WITH VERY LOW INTEREST HALF OF WHAT THEY ADVERTISE LESS THAN 2% .
    WHEN I TOLD JENNIFER ON 9/23/08 TO SEND ME A CHECK TO
    MY HOME ADDRESS SHE IGNORED MY REQUEST SHE SAID IT WILL BE DONE.NOTHING HAPPENED.SHE KEPT ME ON HOLD WHILE
    I WAS CALLING FROM ROMANIA AND NEVER COME BACK TO CONFIRM SHE WILL MAIL ME MY CHECK.
    I WANT MY MONEY, NOW.I WANT MY MONEY TODAY OUT FROM THIS BANK.I HEARD IT WILL DECLARE BANKRUPCY.

• Is
      25th of Sep, 2008

You need to reach someone at the bank in writing. Rarely will they take your instructions by phone or email. There is no signature by phone or email. They may take a fax from you. If not, sit down with a branch manager when you return and explain it all. Keep good records of your efforts. Also, at least in today's financial world you will not lose anything if they file bankruptcy. IF YOU ARE UNDER THE FDIC INSURANCE LIMIT. If not, you could have trouble if they go under. And for future reference it is best to make plans before you leave town if at all possible. Good luck.

• Va
      6th of Nov, 2008
    Washington Mutual Bank - Awful bank
    1376 Town Center Dr
    Lakeland
    Florida
    Phone: 863-686-7013
    wamu.com

I received a check in the mail for 3950.00. I called the company it was a research agency it all sounded legit. So I went ahead and did it. Washington Mutual told me it would have to clear in 5 days. This was on a Monday that I deposited the check. Sure enough on Saturday the funds were available. My first thought was cool everthings went through were good to go.

So on Saturday I took out a portion of the money to do the first job requested. Then I let the remainder sit there till like Wed the 15th . About a week later I received a letter in the mail something was wrong with the check at the amount of 3950.00. That I needed to contact the bank as soon as possible to resolve this issue. So I did . I talk to the Manager Manty.

At that point he starts to change his tone of voice like I had committed this crime. Like I knew it was fake.I told him look I have all the paperworkright in my hand . I also preceded to tell him I had checks out. What about them. All he kept saying was you owe us are money back. Kept saying I needed to come in to the bank right now. He was so abrupt with me. I thought maybe he was setting me up. To tell The police that I had purposely done this.

So I Finally got a hold of my husband told him what was going on with the bank how they were making accusations. When we got the bank. I set and tried to plea my case. All he kept saying you owe that money and we will get it. In a very rude way.I told him what do I do my sons disability check is to be direct deposited on the first. Thats all the money I have to pay my bills. Again he said you can try to call social security but we will get that money.

I did I called Social Security Tried to get the deposit stop. I was 3 days to late. There cut of is the 17th. I called on the 20th. Now you know as well as i do by Manty's Comment he knew it was to late. Still though at that point I thought it would come in Check form. I waited by the mail box till the mail ran. I had even had bills extended waiting on the mail.

When it didn't come I had a bad feeling it went to the bank. I tried social security first they said call the bank. If ain't there and you don't receive it 3 Days call us back. Low and behold. I call the bank, again who do I talk to Manty. When I ask him if thats what happened to the check. He said yep, Now you only owe us 31something. I said Hey you mean to tell me I cant get any of that money.

I said I filed the police report you told me. His next comment was lets see what I do. Come on in here and lets work something out. He knew they wasn't going to give me that money. What he didn't know is my mom has turned real bitter in her elder age. I called her and told her what was going on. They made a couple phone calls and found out they cant take a government check for a bad debt. So I took her up there to talk to him.

Again I told you we would get our money, you owe it to us. My moms words was you will be hearing from our attorney. Now I have bounced 5 check from them freezing my account. They took my only form of income. The checks will go to the state within 15 days. Yet all I got we will get our money. I wanted to tell him tell that to four little boys you took from .

• Ju
      17th of Dec, 2008
    Washington Mutual Bank - off shore call centers
    JAM ENTERPRISES
    Hawaii

I am thoroughly disgusted with Washington Mutual's use of off-shore, foreign call centers. I am tired of wasting my time talking to someone in the Philipines or India. I am thoroughly disgusted with Washington Mutual's lack of intelligent and useful customer service. The use of the term customer service is an oxymoronic statement as far as Washington Mutual is concerned.

I received my credit card statement on December 8, 2008 for my January, 2009. PAYMENT IS DUE ON DECEMBER 31, 2008. This less than 30 days to pay for my JANUARY 2009 bill.

WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??!!! The economy is in the toilet, the banks, including Washington Mutual and the greed of its executives, board - the criminal "decision makers" are now trying to screw us by twisting the knife they have so deftly plunged into us - the stupid consumer. By the financial industry's greed, evil, malicious and soul-less, cheating manipulation of the economy - the USA has reached the lofty standards of a third world country.

Why have call centers at all? There is nothing in the least resembling customer service with foreign countries. Do yourself a favor and save us money - the off shore call centers are insidious crap! Useless!

I am, in disgust - and a person who will use the internet to spread this disgust!

• Al
      12th of Jan, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me last week except the levy that was placed on my account was 100 times higher than the amount owed. I called the debtor who issued the levy who said the levy placed should have been forl $300. Washington Mutual placed the levy on my account for $30, 000. Despite paying the debt to get the levy cleared within 48 hours, as promised by the debtor, the funds were withdrawn from my other checking account but Washington Mutual still did not lift the levy.
    I had enough money in my checking to cover the true levy amount ($300) but because of Washington Mutual confused their decimal points, I've had payments bouncing left and right. I now have to worry about late penalties for my mortgage, cable, and credit cards. I've called twice a day for the last week and no one has gotten back to me. Worst banking experience of my life.

• Ju
      2nd of Jun, 2009

I recently put in for a home litigation (May)...Upon receiving my application, they sent me a letter explaining than I had forgotten to include my most recent tax forms. "No problem", I called to verify exactly what they needed and the acct. rep made note I was putting it in the mail that day (19th) inwhich I did.

From the 20th to date (June 2) I receive an average of 4 - 8 calls each day between my land-line and cell; from 8 am to 9 pm, 7 days a week!!! These calls all come from foreign territories inwhich their English is difficult to understand and they read an idle-prompt with no emotion or understanding!!! They are calling to "notify me" that I need to forward my tax docs.

I asked for a supervisor upon several calls to try to get the calls to stop, and shocklingly he/she is always unavailable!!!

When I call local customer service here in the states...each one I speak to makes sure my account is noted, strongly understands, agrees with my frustrations and disagrees w/ foreign usage; however is unable to further help me.

PLEASE NOTE: ANYONE WHO IS CONSIDERING WAMU/CHASE (DESPERATE OR NOT...RE-CONSIDER)!!! Unless of course someone can honestly say that Chase is now improving WAMU's history!!

• Ri
      10th of Jul, 2009

WaMu Bank in Fremont, California (3906 Washington Blvd, Fremont, CA) is very very bad service!!! The new account clerk there is terrible! Her supervisor (a Vietnamese guy) is even worse. It is the worst experience for last 30 years!

• Mo
      20th of Sep, 2009
    Washington Mutual Bank - No customer service
    wamu.com

If you have all the time in the world to wait after someone steals your money at an ATM clear across the country this is the bank for you. They tell you they will check it out and send you a form to fill out and mail back and then after 10 business days they will let you know. I had my card with me and rarely use it so I can only assume they gave someone else the same card and pin. I want everyone to know this bank does not take fraud seriously when it comes to it's customers. But if you are a thief, then you have the green light. No customer service here! Washington Mutual Bank does not get the money back to you in a timely fashion when they know it is their error, They also do not advise you to go to the branch to expidite the matter, they do admit that their NEW mastercards have been having quite a bit of problems, but they are in no hurry to fix their error!

• Ba
      25th of Sep, 2009
    Washington Mutual Bank - Crappy service
    wamu.com

I Purchased insurance on line thur pay pal credit card the next day I noticed that the charges had been taken out of my private acct. I contacted my bank immeditly as to cancel the charge and was assured that the payment had been cancelled and that I would find my maoney back in my acct. that day. I got up the next day to pay my bills only to find that they had taken the money and added 3-$34.00 over draft charges to my acct.I called my bank again explained that I had just gotten this fixed the day before and was pretty much called a liar.I have now spent almost a month still trying to get help on the matter. My bank is now refusing to give it back, they say that it was an autherized payment and that if I can't prove it then I Won't get the money back. My biggest beef is that they are my bank I thought they were here to help me if this was to happen. I have found out quickly that they are rude and arrogent about their services. and as soon as I get this back( Because I am not going to just give them my money for such crappy service) I will never do business with them ever and will warn others that this bank does not protect it's customers.