Washington Mutual Bank Credit Card / Messing up my husband's credit!

United States Review updated:
I do all my banking via electronic banking. For more than a year now, we have been paying Washington Mutual Bank on two credit cards.

Approximately three months ago WAMU has a mixup and put both payments on the same card. After almost a dozen calls, I finally found someone who check both cards and fixed the problem.

The next month was fine.

This month the same thing. I have been calling and speaking to all kinds of different people. Finally yesterday morning I spoke with someone who actually spoke English. I explained the problem, she researched it, said it would take a couple of days, but that the late charge would be removed, and the payments fixed. Additionally, I asked for a payoff amount, which was given to me, and payment was made in full.

I received another call tonight from WAMU. You guessed it on the same account. I was so angry I hung up on them. I have checked with my bank, and the Account numbers are right, and they are being put on the checks. Someone should do something about these insults. They are messing up my husband's credit, and refuse to listen when I try to explain.

A  3rd of Apr, 2007 by
Washington Mutual is engaging in illegal credit practices, holding back payments so they can charge late fees, charging overlimit fees on top of overlimit fees that can NEVER be paid off, raising interest rates at their own discretion, amongst other things. I REFUSE TO SEND THEM ONE MORE DOLLAR! They can take me to court, whatever they want. I refuse to participate or cooperate! STAY A MILLION MILES AWAY FROM Washington Mutual!
A  13th of Jun, 2007 by
I agree with the numerous complaints about WAMU. My wife and I are having the same problems with increasing interest rates and flimsy excuses from this company. We're also thinking about not paying them another penny. But we also worry about our credit rating. It's like they have you one way or another. We're just wondering why they're allowed to practice business this way? We're going to try to fight back somehow. You need to contact the Office of Thrift Supervision, Division of Consumer Affairs, Washington, D.C. 20552 or contact them at 800-842-6929. File a complaint against this company. If enough people do it, maybe they'll get shut down.
A  5th of Sep, 2007 by
It sounds like although you are doing all your banking via "electronic banking," your home bank is issuing checks to WAMU and the HUMANS at WAMU are messing things up when they process the payments. If you set it up so WAMU would withdraw your payments for free from your bank, this human error would not happen. I've been using WAMU for years now and so far, no problems. Actually, I had Providian and they changed to WAMU.
A  1st of Oct, 2007 by
I've read the complaints and yes..... we are all in the same "bend me over" boat. WAMU is indeed posting payments a day afer the due dates, claiming not to receive payments every few months, telling me I did not make the FULL MINIMUM payment (which is absurd, what, to save $10 bucks) thus giving them the ability to 1.) charge a late payment 2.) raise the APR to the default percentage) 3.) charging overlimit fees due to the "increase" in the APR. Overlimit fee?, not on my spending, but rather on their difference in interest charges that exceed your limit. Alarming!

I phoned WAMU on 2 occasions, having them look at my records for the past 12 months. Each rep told me something different...from wrong due dates, wrong payment posted dates, and interest rates. My point, they are TERRIBLE liars, unable to think of an answer quickly on your dime.

I graciously asked to rectify the "allegedly" late payments, no payments, posted payments mix-up. I was told they are "limited" to what they can do...one time curteous credit blah blah. I even offered to pay my balance in full! This was not appealing to them at all (as I already knew)...but ofcourse not... a zero balance means zero finance charges means zero money for WAMU. An incentive, in this case, that benefits no one.

Yes, WAMU is practicing fraud. I have a total of 17 accounts with other banks.... and in 10 years, have NEVER missed a payment...yes, I have the credit and score to prove it. There's a sucker born every minute....make sure WAMU doesn't sucker you in the minutes they process your payments!
A  11th of Dec, 2007 by
We have been having problems & just recently (last week) we had 2 direct deposits & we took money out in the morning it showed the amount with both deposits but later that day when I went on line to check things out it showed our withdrawl before our deposits which caused overdraft charges.

On another occassion we a had problem & all the people I talked to couldn't help me over the phone; one of the managers said she needed to hang up with me because I was wasting her time, she couldn't help me & that was after talking to about 6 people already. We went to the bank & they told us that any banking we do with them on-line the people in the bank can't help with, needless to say we walked out just a mad as when we walked in.
A  23rd of Mar, 2008 by
WaMU is horrible. Raising interest rates "because we can" as I was told on the phone. Raising my APR to a default rate when I pay my accounts on time every month. Increasing the stress on my finances and my life. Not only do their practices seem unreasonable, but also cruel and immoral. I sacrificed alot to pay off that card completely and I will never use a WaMU product again. Where is the regulation on these companies?
A  26th of Mar, 2008 by
WAMU is junk. They offer creditors with 0 APR rate until next year, but this is all a lie. Illegal credit practices cause WAMU reputation to plum it. If you read the small print there is Type A and Type B APR rates. The APR rate exist no matter if its on purchases or cash advanced, its just that purchases are only covered to a certain amount, but they still charge APR if you don't pay new balance. My debit card did not want to let me take cash out at the wamu atm 7 in the night, what a coicedence, even called the number on the back of the card, I was told the card worked, which it didn't. So I used the wamu credit card. The atm did not warn me that I would be charged any fees, which I assumed that none would occurred at the wamu bank. This was bull, I was charged a cash advance is 20 % on top of the $20 fee you get charged, on top of another APR rate every time you use the card at a retailer that doesn't use the card as credit such as restaurants or atms. Also, more financial fees arise, you must now pay the full balance off within 7 days of using the card or I'm charged another 20% interest rate. I only had this card for 2 weeks, and got rid of this card as soon as the fees came up. Total fees for cash advance was 60 bucks for pulling out 180 bucks, never will use wamu again. I'm staying with a true credit card company with true to there customers, not to poor businessmen. Until I'm refunded the fees for using the card at the bank, I will never get another credit card from WAMU again. I called customer service and they hanged me up after asking whether the fees could be forgiven, they told me that it was in small print on my statement, which I did not receive because I just barely sign up for the card. I went to the bank and they told me that it was not there problem, and that it actually was a separate company. Ok, sounds fishy, stay away from Washington Mutual Credit Cards, period. WAMU owes me 60 bucks.
A  14th of Apr, 2008 by
WaMu is impossible to deal with. They raised my interest to 25+%. I make all of my payments on time, and stay below my limit. I have not charged in over a year, I make payments over the minimum and I cannot seem get the balance down. I requested that they lower the interest rate and they refused to. I will do what it takes to pay this off by the end of the year and warn every on against doing business with them.

I cannot imagine what people with home loans are going through. Heaven help you.

From now on I will only have credit through my credit union. Our politicians should be protecting us consumers a little better.
A  23rd of Apr, 2008 by
I made min payment of $78 to wamu and the debited $1927 from my checking account, this was on 18 march it was declined by my bank also they tried it on the 26 march and declined then on march 31 they tried again and it was accepted, i contacted tzhem on the 2nd april for return of payment, they also dropped my credit limit from $2000 to $250 on 18 march then senzt out letter dated 20 march, still im having no luck getting my money back, they keep telling me its with the investigation department then tonight they rung up to ask me to may a payment on $30 to keep my accoun t in good stamding. Theyre ###s and dont give a care about anything.

They rasie my interest rate twice a month, and i pay more than the monthly minumim just bout every time. i always ask to speak to a manager as i keep asking for the investigation departments number or email and im always told they dont have a number or email just a fax. Im really pissed at them, maybe i should just take them to court as i also have the recipt from online stating i paided they minium $78.
A  6th of May, 2008 by
As have many of us, I have fallen on hard times. I lost my company due to decreased income in nov 2006. I have been a customer of WAMU for 5 years. and was perfect on my payments for all of those. My payment was due on april 7th of this year, and on april 9th I begain recieving calls at the rate of 20 to 30 a day. These did not help me to pay them and get them money. I spoke with 4 reps..ALL IN THE PHILLIPINES, OR INDIA.. COMMUNACATION WAS DIFFICULT AT BEST. It was told to me 4 times that the only to stop the calls was to predate a check, as I have had to sell my house, and intend to pay all my balance. In my book predating a check is imoral, and illelgal, as well as being against any prudent pratice. When able to speak to an american I was assured that wamu does not train their reps. to suggest somthing like that. Let me assure you THEY LIE!!! aLSO ON 4 OCASIONS i SPOKE TO REPS. AND EXPLAINED MY SITUATION, I WAS PROMISED 4 TIMES THAT THE CALLS WOULD STOP, 4 TIMES i was lied to again, IN FACT THE CALLS INCREASED IN FREQUENCY !!! Wamu is cocerned only with profit, and have no compassion to a cardholders situation. They also are another co. that due to greed have sent good american jobs to overseas. I have developed a strong hatred of this greedy, unkind company, and have warned everyone I have talked to about them. DO NOT EVER GET A CARD WITH THESE MISERABLE PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE
N  13th of May, 2008 by
My finace had a credit card through Providian and she actually liked her credit card. Washington Mutual bought out Providian and has been ripping my fiance off left and right! She has always paid her payments on time and has even paid more than the balance. She has paid that card off more than a few times even. Her bank accidently made a mistake and put a stop payment on a check she sent to her credit card and her payment was late. Her bank tried to work with her credit card company explaining the situation and even sent them a letter. Washington Mutual refused to work with my fiance on the matter and wouldn't even work with another bank to correct the situation. I would never in a million get a credit card through Washington Mutual because since then they have raised her APR and balance so high its criminal. I hope anyone reading this even thinking about getting a credit card through them...please don't because they will rip someone else off just like they have her if given the chance.
A  22nd of May, 2008 by
I was a Washington Mutual customer for as long as I have had a checking account--almost 10 years. At one time I had a checking, savings, and credit card with "WaMu" (what a stupid name). When I first signed up with them they had the feel of a small town bank that actually cared about their customers. Well that has definetely changed for the worse over the last couple of years.

First, I started getting patched through to some person with a horribly thick accent and a 2 second time delay in conversation. If I wanted to do my banking overseas, I would open an account overseas. But I do my banking in America (or so I thought) and I expect to be able to understand the person who is helping me with my money transactions.

Then, last year, after requesting a decrease in the interest rate on my credit card, from the ABSURD 33% it had been at after I made a few late payments, I was told by the rep that there were no "special promotions available for me at this time." Well I didn't ask for a "special promotion, " I asked if the company I had done business with for almost a frickin' decade, could have a little understanding and help me out! The answer was no, and not an appologetic, "I really wish I could help" no, but a "sorry toots, you are S.O.L."

So, needless to say, I was irrate and made the decision to close out my accounts with WaMu--all except my CC--couldn't afford to pay it off. Anyways, shortly after I closed my accounts I received a notice that stated they were going to, again, raise the interest rate on my CC--with no explanation why (of course) The letter stated if I wanted to opt out I had to send a letter to the company stating I wished to decline the new "conditions" and to close my account. So I did. I couldn't afford another increase in interest.

Well the other day I was watching the Suze Orman show and I found out that closing my account can hurt my credit score. So I called WaMu to see if I could reopen it-one would think this request would have been greeted with open arms. WRONG!!! They told me that my former acct met only 2 of the 3 terms needed to have it reopened. (This is my favorite part...) 1.) my acct met the status code for closed (duh) 2.) my acct was closed less than 60 days ago But #3, which it didn't meet, is that my acct was closed d/t a change in terms opt out and I would had to have called the same day as my letter was received to void my closure request. Hmmm... If only I could look into the future and know all of this. Did I mention that all of the above was internal knowledge only and nowhere does it state the stipulations to opening and closing an acct under these circumstances.

So here I am, stuck with an interest rate of thirty-something percent (I don't even look any more because it just makes me sick), unable to reopen it or pay it off, and unable to negotiate lower terms. My advice to people shooping for a new bank is NEVER EVER EVER EVER open an account with Washington Mutual and if you have an acct with them good luck getting any type of useful assistance. I will never again do business with this company--even if I am stranded in the middle of nowhere, in desperate need of cash and the only ATM within 100 miles is owned by WaMu, I would prefer to hitch-hike or walk the 100 miles to find a different bank's ATM.

To sum it all up...F-U-Wa-Mu! Karma is a bi***.
A  23rd of May, 2008 by
I have good credit. I dont need WAMU. I will transfer my so called zero interest balance to another reputable card that REALLY is zero interest. WMAU has extremely Bad horrible customer service. They will lie and promise the world and hang up that phone in that little 3rd world country they are in and smile ---- :) while they are thinking I screwed another one! Well WAMU its me smiling this time----I can, and I will enjoy cutting your card up---you WILL NOT screw me.
D  25th of May, 2008 by
washington mutual is the best company.
A  14th of Jun, 2008 by
they do not work with you-all they care about is the migthly dollar and tacking on late charges.
i think they do not care about the care holer
A  16th of Jun, 2008 by
My husband and I are in the same boat. We originally held Providian cards which were bought by washington mutual. WE had not been charging and had been making our regular payments. For unknown reasons they increased our interest rates and charged an over the limit fee. My card which was opened at a high 14% years ago is now 31.9 and climbing monthly. My payments have doubled. My finance charge alone is $150 month. I cant make headway on this debt. because we had each had a card, started when in college its doubly effecting us. I called several times to the company to discuss the interest rate in fear that we will eventually not be able to keep up. They continued to transfer me to several individuals that could not help. It was a vicious cycle full of lies. I've began to consider credit counseling or chapter 13 partially due to this debt. Has anyone successfully worked out an arrangement with WaMu or with CCS & Wamu????
D  17th of Jun, 2008 by
what is ### on the internet going to do about any of this? all banks are the same way it's not just washington mutual. so shut up and do something better with your lives than ### about how you probably messed up your own acount.
D  17th of Jun, 2008 by
i love washington mutual. they helped me with a lot of stuff. they are very nice people. you probably think this is one of there representatives but it is a 17 almost 18 year old girl from bend, or.
N  2nd of Jul, 2008 by
I cannot stand WaMu. They are a bunch of cold, heartless self centered people who could care less about anybody. My husband lost in job in October 2007. I make a moderate salary but he was the obvious mucho bread winner. Between house, car, RV and these credit cards from moving to a new state and setting up house, I couldn;t keep up. When I missed one house pmt, what does WaMu do, raise my interest rate to 25%. I missed my truck payment, whoa 33%. And how many payments did I miss to WaMu, NONE. Not one damn payment was missed to them but got behind on my house and truck. What a bunch of bull sh*t. So my credit is already messed up, who cares. They will get paid when they can. My house and car and food on the table for my children come first. So screw you, WaMu.
A  8th of Jul, 2008 by
I recevied a credit card offer from WAMU stating free balance transfer and no interest until January 2010. I read the offer carefully several times and then applied requesting a balance transfer of $3000. I had a similar offer from them last year which I used and had no problem.

Well, when the first bill came, there was a finance charge of $18.75. I called customer service on 6/4 and they told me that I misread the offer (and of course I didn't have the paperwork anyway). However, they were going to switch my account to no-interest but they couldn't remive that finance charge. I agreed.

When my next bill came on 7/2, sure enough, Imy account was never switched to a no-interest one as I had been promised. They tacked on another $28.32. I called again and was told it would be changed. Meanwhile I just went online (7/8) and saw that the finance charge was not removed and online you can't tell what what you're Balance Category is.

I am going to pay this loan off in full and if I ever receive another offer from them I'm reporting them to postal inspectors for mail fraud.

These people are liars. Stay away from them!!!