Washington Gas / completely frustrating

Their customer service menu over the phone in one word: frustrating. If you want the urge to shoot yourself in the head, then by all means, call it. I called, went through the menu, finally got a rep, then he gives me another number to call for my address. Called it, got a menu that didn't have anything about what I needed, finally dialled zero for "gas emergencies". The girl told me I had to wait till the menu repeated 3 times, and then dial a 4 (not offered in the menu)! Then I get directed back to the original number I called the first time. Finally got someone who said that I would have to go to the walk-in department to start new service (mind you, the walk-in dept. is in the middle of D.C. during business hours), in order to confirm my identity and start new service. I suggested I just fax a copy of my request and my id's, and she said "yes, sure" like it was always an option. Why didn't they tell me that when they denied my original on-line request to start a new service on account of needing a copy of my id's???? Ridiculous.

Va

Comments

• Fe
      2nd of Aug, 2008
    Washiongton Gas - incompetent and poor customer service
    Washington Gas
    6801 Industrial Rd
    Arlington
    Virginia
    Phone: 703-750-1000
    washingtongas.com

I don't understand how there is no other public utility competitor with Washington Gas - isn't this a monopoly? Is this legal? They have the WORST customer service staff - I have been explaining to them for over 8 months now that the bills they send me are erroneous and that I do NOT have an outstanding bill with them. I have called several times, mailed and faxed all my supporting documenetation etc. Not only have they told me oh...about 5 times now that the problem would be resolved, they have even sent me a final bill with a zero balance. But that does not mean anything to them apparantly and they keep sending me bills! The latest letter stated that "if the bill does not belong to you, please advise us who is responsible for the bill." All I have to say at this point is...Are you kidding me?? Who's responsible?? It could be Santa Clause for all I care! This last letter says it all about their lack of professionalism, lack of competency and lack of due diligence and service to their customers. If any of you out there have experienced this and have successfully corrected your problems with them, please let me know!!!

Thanks,

FedUp

• Fe
      2nd of Aug, 2008

Washington Gas has a bunch of idiots over there - please don't insult the good folks by giving Washington Gas any credit and use of the title "Customer Service". I understand economy is tight, but this is no excuse to retain poor performance in any industry responsible for providing good, quality service to its customers.

• Ki
      27th of Oct, 2008

My experience with the Washington Gas has been the most insane and frustrating experience in a LONG time. I had my service interrupted and have been trying to get it back on since Thursday and today is MONDAY!!! I have called and screamed - and we won't even talk about trying to get a supervisor on the phone! That takes an act of God!! Here it is :43 on a Moneay afternoon and I have been home ALL day waiting. Not only that but they were supposed to come out Friday and never showed up. He tried to tell me no one was home. Well if he bothered to get out of his truck and knock on the door, he would know that some was home...ALL DAY!! This makes now TWO days I've taken off work. What's worse is never was there a notice, or card or anything left at the door. I waited all day and was told that no one could return until Monday unless it was an emergency! Hmmm so I thought I would be clever and tell them I had a gas leak. Sure enough a few hours later a truck showed up. I begged and pleaded with him - showed him my receipt and he got in his truck and rolled off once he found out there wasn't a leak.
    Here I now sit and 4:47 Monday afternoon STILL waiting. If I had ANY choice in this world I would never use these IDIOTS!!

• Ni
      12th of May, 2009

I have had a problem with washington gas also for overbilling me almost 1000 dollars because they claim they underestimated the bill for 12 months. My response-how can a company suddenly wake up and decide they've underbilled me and expect me to fork up 1000 dollars, and on what basis? This was told to me over the phone, not at all in writing. Just because they said so I must pay? I think an FBI investigation should be launched because I suspect that the dear folks working in there are profiting from the inefficiency and I'm sure if they do that, they will smell the huge rat of CORRUPTION because they think people will pay anything not to have their service disconnected. The Public Service COmmission of the District of Columbia is supposed to docket complaints. Once you do that, according to DC law, they cannot disconnect your service for the disputed amount. I just read that and am about to pursue that avenue. Meanwhile, if you have any FBI friends, point them in the direction of this utility company.

31st of Jul, 2009

Washington Gas are filled with silly people with no brains because in this slow down economy where people cannot afford o make their payments on time then how do you expect that same person to pay a deposit request of $744 . I don't know how this works out and I don't understand it especially now. It is so crazy I was hoping I will be able to change gas providers. Their customer service also tries to tell you what to do with your money. I am so mad.

• Ka
      20th of Apr, 2011

I had fallen on hard times and went thru the past winter without heat and hot water thanks to Washington Gas. I could pay my bill in full, however the next month I would be right back in disconnection status because of a required security deposit. For (3) years I have lived at the same location. Where am I going, currently I owe nothing to this wonderful company. However their automated system continues to say I owe thousands of dollars. Funnier still, they tell me to contact their attorney handling my case and when I do they can not give me a file number. Customer Service Reps can even read the clued responses to your needs and although they claim they are recording the conversations they should stop and rewind the tape sometimes and just listen to the customers. I want my service back and if not I will survive. I am furious with the fact that they are not knowledgable enough to hire an attorney who will contact you. Yet, you can only talk with them what type of service are they really rendering. I wish the deregulation would bring in some fresh gas companies who want to serve people rather than themselves. This company is the worse that I have ever dealt with.

13th of Mar, 2012

i may self is going threw some of the same thing. i lived in overland garden some three years ago when i moved i called and ask for them to cut BGE OFF and WASHINGTON GAS when i called back i was told a tech could not come out to turn the gas off cause they didn't have non, now some three years later they want me to pay they put this on my credit report and now took it off of my credit report and put it on my bill and told me to pay 466.00 and i have a turn off. this is what i believe we all have to come together as a 1 there are more gas company's out there for us and we have to find them. there should be a meeting of some sort to find out whats out there for us. me myself will be speaking with a lawyer to find out what i can do they need to be stopped . if i have to go to the media with this I'm going .

13th of Mar, 2012

i have found numbers- complaints for Washington gas-202-626-5120 and if you need a hearing you can put it in writing and call for a hearing. 202-727-3071

13th of Mar, 2012

complaints-202-727-3071 and if you want a hearing put it in writing and call 202-626-5120 and they will give you a free lawyer