Wamu Online Banking / Bogus fees

1 TX, United States Review updated:

My name is Windy Pool. I opened an online savings account with WAMU. Service agreement says I can call [protected] to terminate my account. In October I went to terminate my account because of inconvenience of online setup and use, I told them to cancel my account. I transferred all of the money out of that account. Not long after that and on the November statement, I got a 4.00 fee for non-maintenance of minimum balance. This translated into an OVERDRAFT FOR ME! I called in and told them that I had tried to cancel this on OCTOBER 12. They would not waive the fee and said that I had to write a letter to cancel account and send it to San Antonio Branch with a check for 3.99!!! I called back today and told them that the service agreement CLEARLY STATES THAT I CAN CALL IN TO CANCEL. Amanda, the Wamu representative gave me a line about interest bearing accounts not being able to be closed over the phone or online. I read to her Wamu’s service agreement. She said that it did not matter. So as it is, I still owe the fee and dang account is STILL OPEN. I mailed the letter off on MONDAY with a CHECK FOR the 3.99 that Wamu is STEALING FROM ME!!!

Wl

Comments

• Ol
      15th of Jul, 2009

Agree Wendy. WAMU charges me a $10 fee when I transfer money from my UK account even though I have paid charges in the UK. Something illegal going on here.