Walmart / accused by greeter/I threatened police report for defamation purposes

1 Wilkes Barre PA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 1-570-821-6180

As I was leaving the store, the bell went off. This particular male greeter never acknowledged me before, always giving me cursory looks.I am around 50, and a retired tattoo/piercing shop owner.Thus, I am an alternative and I could see the glee in his eyes as the bell rang on me. I gave him my bags, including an electronic dept. one. He looked in all, and remarked that there wasn't a receipt for the electronic purchase. I opened my purse and wallet, having nothing to hide, dumped any and all receipts I had into a shopping cart. At this point, as customers were exiting, he was deliberately telling them to "move on", telling me to "stand back", and causing a scene himself. I am well-respected, well-educated and waited to zing my lawful rights on him. He still claimed he couldn't find the receipt after over an hour, as other customers are assuming I am a shop-lifter. He then called Electronics, asked if I bought this item, described me, (lady w/tatoos).Electronics came up front, grabbed the bag from the greeter, looked inside, and pulled out the receipt! He couldn't apologize enough.I requested the floor manager, ten minutes later a section manager appeared.I refused to speak with her.Finally, the store manager did arrive.I told her it was within my right to have her call the police and make an incident report.She agreed.I made a deal with her that if he had more sensitivity training and this type of problem was addressed at this location, I would not call the police.She still gave me the usual WM gift card anyway.Since then, workers at that store have been more courteous to me, and he eventually quit or was fired.

Comments

• Ha
      6th of May, 2009

good for you - i would have demanded he lose his job on the spot or file the report - people like that do not deserve a job in this economy when so many good people are out of work.

walmart amazes me - albeit the only people that i ever see at my walmart checking the bags at the door are so old they cannot even read the receipts...

• He
      6th of May, 2009

Both store employees and customers need to change the way they think about those security alarms. They are not magic shoplifting detectors, they are a theft deterrent, nothing more. Given the high number of false alarms and the commonness of bought merchandise that's not properly deactivated, you should give those devices little heed.

Don't freeze like a guilty child and let someone rifle through your personal property just because some bell tolls and some electronic voice asks you to stop. You're under no obligation to let anyone search your bags or check your receipt whether or not the alarm goes off. (For more, see: http://www.crimedoctor.com/loss_prevention_3.htm )

State law allows merchants to detain a customer when they have “probable cause” (in some states, “reasonable suspicion”) to believe he or she has stolen. Both are well-defined legal standards that require some measure of evidence. Those doorway alarms do not prove you have pilfered, they simply detect electronic sensors that haven't been scanned. If you want to help the world's largest retailer fine-tune its inventory control and checkout procedures, then you can choose to let them search you. If you, like me, feel it's not our problem, just keep walking out the door.

If a greeter or guard prevents you from leaving by physically blocking your path, restraining you or pushing you, you can call the police and have him charged with false imprisonment and/or simple assault.

• Mr
      6th of May, 2009

Healthy Distrust, great article!

14th of Apr, 2010

Absolutely Healthy Distrust, one doesn't need to stop. I knew I had done nothing wrong, and from his past negativity towards me, I also knew he was going to make a huge mistake when he stopped me. I was simply aiding him in putting his foot in his mouth. I saw an opportunity to make an easy point on a Wal-Mart mistake and was going to ride the waves and enjoy it. It was very easy to have the store manager agree to sensitivity training and besides, he did eventually leave the store.
    One new rule was imposed on the employees that I was told about a year later on...if you are treated rudely/obnoxiously by a store employee, report them immediately to the store manager while they are on duty so the issue can be dealt with at hand. I'd say that was progress in the way of encouraging their employees to cater more to their customers whether they want to or not. And yes, the customers must stand up for themselves for this rule to work productively, also.

19th of Jun, 2010

Ha! Ha! Did you have tattoos all over you and a bunch of piercings? Stereotyping, you thug! I don't have any of that.

Last night I walked through Wal-Mart front in Mesquite, TX, with a camcorder I had paid for in electronics. The electronics clerk had to unlock it and slide it off the display for me. Any digital camera over $15 is locked up anyway!

My mother has lung cancer and I'm ill myself.

The sensor went off and the ticket checker came toward me. I screamed at her, "Don't touch me! I paid for it and it's mine to do what I want with."

I ripped out the receipt and showed it to her. Then I demanded a manager. Of course, the manager gave me the same old cr@p about they were not accusing me of fraud. Oh yeah?

So I whipped out some real law on her. I told her that in accordance with federal Americans with Disabalities Act law, I needed someone to help put my groceries in the car for me. She kind of froze. It took a few minutes, but then I got my carry-out help.

Orange.

DAMMIT.

19th of Jun, 2010

Norman Bates, the reason they treated me like a criminl was because I stole a pack of gum afer spending $5o at the store and did not want to line up again. Gum was fifty cents.

19th of Jun, 2010

Their theory don't ever forgive. Once a criminal always a criminal.

19th of Jun, 2010

when there is much delegation for the mis-appropriation that followed when it came to funds and education, it makes us a very sad nation when the latter is of the two is of no complication because we believe the congress of this nation will fix the impending nominations. It's all just propaganda and reformation.

19th of Jun, 2010

...for the one who's going to rise above manipulation and moral castration. He will be the moses of our people and lead the nation in to new age of prescription drugs and lowered expectations. Where-as the alternative is becoming less speculation and more affirmation,

Oblige.

19th of Jun, 2010

Ok, what's shaking with you guys? And yea, I have ink and one piercing.
    That should have absolutely nothing to do with my being stopped.
    Norman and Brenda---get in on behind that shower curtain already!
    Thanks SPH.

19th of Jun, 2010

the squeaky wheel should, but chooses wisely.

20th of Jun, 2010

Telling him to [censor] off would have been too easy. It was so obvious he was itching to "catch" someone in his greeting job should the bell go off. And who better for him to accuse than a stereo-type? Guess it was pay-back time in Karma dollars.

20th of Jun, 2010

shut up about your three months. no one cares. If you came to my store, i would have banned you for life and sued you for the entire extent of the law. It is quiet apparent you learned nothing from your whole ordeal [if even real]. The only thing you took from it was you got banned for 3 months which inconveniences you on not being able to go to the closest store in your neighborhood. DIAF.

20th of Jun, 2010

oh this was directed to kevin richards not you squeaky

21st of Jun, 2010

foxfyre: If you read my original story, that's what I did. It was he, the greeter Frank, that had the attitude. I stopped. I showed him my receipts. I actually gave him my bag first. He claimed the receipt wasn't in the bag, which is why I gave him ALL of my receipts and told him to find it then. I knew the receipt was in the store's electronics bag. It was his mistake and he was just "hunting" for someone. He thought he was going to find it in me. Even the Electronics Department was angry enough when they were called out of their department to come and check the merchandise because they knew me for buying enough merchandise/asking questions etc. They found the receipt in under 30 seconds. Apparently he wasn't well-liked in that store and shouldn't have been in that position. I gave the man a chance to do his job properly without an attitude at the start. I threatened to file a police report after the fact.

• Sc
      27th of Jun, 2010

Wow I can't believe he didn't just look in the bag in the first place instead of wasting all that time, I mean you obviously were willing to show you weren't at all guilty, he must have been having a boring day to take up all that time.

• Us
      27th of Jun, 2010

I don't understand your story. Why didn't you just pull the receipt for the electronic item out of the bag and show him straight up?

You said, "I am well-respected, well-educated...", and "He still claimed he couldn't find the receipt after over an hour..." ----- If you are so smart, didn't you know it was in the bag? ("Electronics came up front, grabbed the bag from the greeter, looked inside, and pulled out the receipt!")

Why in the world would you stand there for over and hour while he hunted for the receipt?

You also say, "...and waited to zing my lawful rights on him." And, "I requested the floor manager, ten minutes later a section manager appeared.I refused to speak with her.Finally, the store manager did arrive.I told her it was within my right to have her call the police and make an incident report." -------- Did you just want to "ZING" them, ...get a bit of revenge for, "This particular male greeter never acknowledged me before, always giving me cursory looks."

Your story doesn't make sense.