Walmartwal-mar rips you off on prepaid cellphones

I bought a Net 10 prepaid phone because the price per minutes is set at 10 cents. I also bought 400 minutes. After about 3 months, the phone stopped working. I paid around $50 for the phone alone. I attempted to return it to Wal-Mart in Stephenville, Texas where I bought it, but after talking to an assistant store manager and several electronics dept. "associates", they refused to refund my purchase price. The "associates" even admitted the phones "are a piece of crap" (their words) yet they sure don't mind suckering people into buying them. I ended up with a worthless phone and a lot of minutes, also non-refundable. Keep in mind that Tracfone, the biggest ripoff in the world of prepaid phones, also owns Net 10. It's just another avenue for them to ripoff people around the world. When you buy minutes from Tracfone or Net 10, you will NEVER get a refund on airtime bought, so you would have to be an IDIOT to buy one of their "year" plans. If anything goes wrong, which is almost guaranteed, you're screwed!
And Wal-Mart is just as big a ripoff for selling merchandise from such scam companies that provide the poorest customer service on the planet. And by the way, the "associates" at the Stephenville, Texas Wal-Mart will do ANYTHING to avoid you if you simply ask them for help of any kind. They are very unfriendly. They have a grouchy old lady working in electronics that looks at you like you're a common criminal if you're shopping, yet never bothers to ask "May I help you?". They should have gotten rid of her long ago.

Comments

Nov 11, 2008

i guess you have no life..i mean seriously who does this get over it already everyone knows you cant return cellphones only an idiot doesnt no that! stephenville walmart is the best store they care about there customers and you are right that lady is a grouchy one and i dont like her either but just because you had trouble in the connection center doesnt mean the other departments are bad

Jan 24, 2009

While Wal-Mart is being quite unreasonable about not letting you return the phone, you're being unreasonable by saying that Wal-Mart is bad for selling products from a company that YOUR OPINION states is a "scam." You could be the only one out of a billion people who thinks they're a scam. Wal-Mart is a business, a resource for people to buy products. They can't cut an entire product line and displease potential customers just because one person is pissing like a little girl. Grow up.

• St
      Apr 30, 2009

The return policy is 15 days, so 3 months later doesn't qualify for a return. You could have easily found this out. I've used a low-end Net10 at one point for a year (from Walmart, not that it matters) and it worked just fine, also when speaking to Tracfone's reps they were willing to replace the phones by shipment if anything was wrong. I hear so many people attacking Walmart because it doesn't have an indefinate return policy, I hate people like this.

• Sm
      May 19, 2009

You should have bought a cheaper model, to test the waters with Net10.

There are some basic phones available that are $30, and they come with 300 minutes free. So, you are really paying for the minutes, and getting the phone for free. Great way get a new phone every so often.

Sometimes my husband and I get these, transfer our old phone numbers (and minutes/airtime credits) to the new phone. Then we use the old phone as a back-up battery charger... keeping it charging, while we use the other one. We have been using Net10 for over 3 years, and think it is a great.

Nov 14, 2009

I've had Net 10 for nearly 5 years. Wal Mart is an agent or vendor for Net 1o, not like a Verizon store or such. Additionally, the program with Net 10 is pay flat rate, get lots of minutes with no daily fee.

The individual with the failed phone and the minutes should have called Net 10. And anyway, he could have took one of the phone with minute deals for a new phone (29.95) with 300 free minutes (30.00 worth) and basically replaced his phone. Net 10 would have gladly transferred his service and number (I've done it online for free on the Net 10 website for free, it's easy enought o do without help form Net 10) So the bottom line is I'm sorry the individual had a bad phone, but his complaint against Wal Mart and Net 10 is without any foundation, because he could have replaced the defective phone for FREE, had his number, service time and minutes transferred over to his/her new phone and benn better off than before.

It comes down to people (this guy included) do not want to become knowledgeable shoppers. He needed to call Net 10 (number on www.net10.com) NOT Tracphone. TracPhone is the parent of Net 10. He could have gone on line to Net 10 and chatted or called, or simply folled the online prompts to solve his problem. It's EASIER TO BELLYACHE and COMPLAIN than to take charge and responsibility for ones problems.

Net 10 is fantastic! They have helped me time after time to continue my service and keep my minutes. Last December right before Christmas I had a Net 10 phone stolen. Net 10 helped me transfer my minutes and service time to a new phone with no hassle at all! Anyone complaining about Net 10 has not taken advantage of their easy to use web site or customer service.