Walmart / customer mistreatment

1 Flora, United States Review updated:

I was shopping in the Flora Illinois Walmart @ 8 pm Thursday December 24, Christmas eve.
I had been in the store shopping approximately 30 minutes. I had about $50.00 worth of merchandise in my cart, and was headed to the checkout.

Over the P.A. the announcement was made that the store would be closing in 5 minutes.
Although this seemed like short notice, I had completed all my shopping and was approaching the checkout anyway.
After less than 2 minutes had passed, a store employee approached me saying "you have to check out now, we are closing." I informed the employee that i was going to the check out. Another employee accosted me, rudely stating, "you have to check out now, we are closing."

As I moved within 50 feet of the check out I was again told by another employee, that I must check out immediately. Another shopper behind me was also rudely harassed in a like manner.

When I was within 20 feet of the check out I was again approached, and very rudely told "you have to check out now, we are closing." By this time I had been accosted rudely by 6 employees within a 3 minute period while going to the checkout.

Finally, I had been mistreated enough and told the store employee that they could keep their merchandise.
At the door was the store Manager Eric. I complained nicely to him, and was told, that they had families that they needed to get to. He rudely kept repeating "merry Christmas sir."

It is understandable that the store would close for Christmas eve early. It would be ok to make a 15 or 30 minute closing announcement, but this didn't happen. Myself and other customers met outside and all related having been treated rudely and without respect.

I have joined a local and nationwide boycott of Walmart, and advise others to also. Eighty percent of Walmart's stock comes from China and costs American jobs. If you want to help America's economic restoration... don't shop at Walmart... let them be rude, and keep their inferior junk!

Comments

• Tr
      26th of Dec, 2010

Apparently you cannot read. The store announcement was that the store would close in 5 minutes. No customer needs to be harassed this way. I have been a retail manager for several years, and would never treat customers this way. It is ridiculous to announce a store closing in five minutes anyway, but then not to allow 5 minutes is poor customer service to say the least.
    The reason Walmart makes "record Profits" is because it uses cheap Chinese labor and sells junk to Americans, taking American jobs.
    You don't know what you are talking about that the employees didn't know I had gotten the word, because they treated everyone else with the same disrespect. You were not there and obviously don't know what you are talking about.
    Your statement about planning shopping is stupid. No paying customer should ever be treated rudely under any circumstances. I have been in many stores where they make a 15 or 30 minute announcement. This store made a 5 minute announcement and didn't even honor that.
    You should probably not comment on situations you know something about, not being there, you obviously have no knowledge of what happened.

Your stupid comments said I didn't have decency towards Walmart employees, but I was at the checkout to pay for my items. You are probably one of Walmarts door greeters yourself, and not capable of having a real job.

Since you weren't there, you are unqualified to comment, and obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

26th of Dec, 2010

You obviously were not present, have no idea what happened, and are ignorantly commenting on something you know nothing about.

It is interesting that you also contradict yourself now saying that Walmart does indeed sell junk. Maybe you have a difficult time even understanding your own point, let alone the point of someone else.
    Maybe once you get your meds straight you might be able to choose one opinion and stay with it?

26th of Dec, 2010

I am not in a tizzy at all, and could care less if you agree or not. Since you weren't there you have no way to relate in anything but your obvious ignorance.
    You most certainly do contradict yourself by stating in your former incoherent rambling that Walmart sells junk. It is hard to discuss something with someone who can't even track his own ignorant thought process.
    In reply to your ignorant question, if you could read you would have known that I was previously in the store for over 30 minutes prior to the 5 minute announcement. You might learn to read and actually absorb what you read before making foolish comments.

The rest of your diatribe is equally as ignorant and irrelevant. Your incoherent rambling about nationalism and China are totally irrelevant.
    Try reading (or learning to) before commenting and your comments might makes some sense. The case was plainly made that I and othesr were in the store over 30 minutes prior to the 5 minute announcement.
    The other customers in the store at the time were equally as outraged because of the poor treatment.

What you say does accidentally have a small smidgen of truth in it, re: globalism. The reason America is failing economically is because it has settled for garbage and poor service instead of excellence.

Maybe you might me able to get some remedial reading classes, because you apparently are not able to read and comprehend what others say.

• Le
      26th of Dec, 2010

This discussion is interesting to me because I was one of the customers at the Flora Il. Walmart on Christmas eve also.
    As the original complaint stated there were several people in the store at the time. I had been in the store over an hour when the 5 minute closing message came over the loud speaker.

As the gentleman stated, the employees rudely rushed us to the checkouts after less than 2 minutes had passed.
    It seems odd that others who were not present would argue what happened... you weren't there!

After the ordeal many of us met outside and discussed how we were treated. It seems ridiculous to me that someone not present has anything to comment about. The customers there were treated very poorly. I have contacted a personal friend with upper management at Walmart, and am assured that action will be taken.
    No one who wasn't there has any reason to comment, because it didn't effect you and is therefore none of your business.

According to my friend, this is a breach of Walmart's operational practices and it will be dealt with. I personally will never enter this particular Walmart again. As far as the quality of merchandise, it probably is not the best, but most foreign made stuff is lower quality than what we are used to.

Dear Brenda
    You need more assistance than I can give you here. The truth is that poor customer is poor customer service, no matter what you believe. You were not there and are therefore unqualified to comment on what happened.

I appreciate your vast knowledge of global economics, but you are still incorrect.
    I made a complaint about a particular Walmart store, not about you. Since you were not there, do not know what happened, and are not Walmart this doesn't concern you. Have a nice holiday. Quite frankly, I don't have the time to continue your silly word pong. I sincerely hope you also find some better way to spend your time.

26th of Dec, 2010

DUH, sorry you cannot seem to comprehend that customers were not given 5 minutes... sorry you are unable to understand something so simple.
    The announcement said that shoppers had 5 minutes to bring their items to the check out. I am sorry you cannot understand something so simple...again I repeat DUH!

If you lack the ability to concentrate on something like shopping for an hour, it certainly seems to explain why you have such an obvious comprehension challenge. DUH.

26th of Dec, 2010

I didn't want to mention your breeding, but you are probably correct there also... too bad.

• Sl
      26th of Dec, 2010

Brenda is a stupid b****. She has nothing better to do than to put people down. She is the one that needs a life.

• Sl
      27th of Dec, 2010

Immodest is such a comedian and the only it knows is troll.

27th of Dec, 2010

this truthranger is a ###. i bet they kept on coming up to him because as he was on his way to check out he probably kept on stopping to look at other things. thats what it sounds like to me. tell the truth truthranger. you know what you was doing, everybody else does the same thing.

27th of Dec, 2010

It is amazing that so many people comment onthe experience of someone else.
    This site is called "complaints board" for a purpose, to register complaints.
    If it had been a discussion forum it would have been entitled such.
    It is obvious that those responding to my complaint don't even know what they are doing, because they are in the improper venue for a discussion.

There is no reason to defend WalMart. If you are happy with your experience at Walmart, continue to shop there. Your time might be better spent in dealing with your own lives, rather than minding the business of others.

There are many sites designed for you to practice your eloquent discussion skills, this is not one of them.
    Whether you agree or disagree with my assessment pf my experience at Walmart is irrelevant.
    Find a discussion forum and blow of all you want.
    My complaint was regarding Walmart, and is the business of no one else. Complaints here are complaints, not an invitation for discussion by uninvolved people.

Unless you were at this particular Walmart and experienced the same treatment, this is really none of your business.
    To make a long story short: get a life!

30th of Dec, 2010

Update on Walmart Complaint!
    District Manager frpm Walmart contacted me. He assured me that it is not the practice of Walmart to close a store in this manner. He was very apologetic, and gave me his direct number in case of any problems in the future. I was also told that he would deal with local management personally.
    Walmart also sent me a sizable gift card to compensate.
    The truth is that companies do not gain from improper customer service. There should never be a time when we offer less than excellence, or expect less when it comes to customer service.

For those of you who defended Walmart (or thought you were) you are part of the problem. I am happy with Walmart's handling of the situation.
    For those of you who criticized me for wanting excellent customer service you are wrong. First of all, this is a complaint forum, not a discussion forum... apparently you don't know the difference.

Having been a Manager I know that customer service can make the difference between a store's success or failure. If you really liked Walmart, you would insist on quality customer service.
    Since Walmart has graciously settled this matter, I have no more complaint, and will no longer answer your replies.
    In my absence, you can continue to call me names and reflect your immense ignorance as you have previously. Enjoy yourself.

30th of Dec, 2010

yes jdh i did and i hope you did as well. to truth ranger: haven't you noticed we are allowed to leave comments after someone's complaint? if so then you should realize that in a way that does make it a discussion forum. so since you like to use the term "eloquent" i am gonna be eloquent by saying get a life and if you don't want the comments then don't complain and then don't respond to any of the comments with a comment of your own. simple as that...eloquently speaking.

30th of Dec, 2010

yes i know...my comment was also directed at truth ranger...nice to see you also brenda.

• Ti
      30th of Dec, 2010

Were store hours not posted on the front door? Those employees have families to get home too! Take some responsibility here, you should have been aware of closing times. Should the credit card companies shout announcements five minutes before you have Maxed out? Go back to wallmart and buy a watch!

• La

learn how to spell

31st of Dec, 2010

You all really don't have lives do you? Commenting on something that is none of your business was weird enough. Now you continue your ignorant banter after the conflict was successfully resolved. I cannot help but to feel sorry for you, how pathetic.

• Po
      31st of Dec, 2010

Truth, I thought you were done responding...?

1st of Jan, 2011

Truthranger, I insist you point out any ignorence you can find below. Maybe after you find that you are the ignorent one, not us, you will perhaps take one step away from your hypocracy.

Seeing as this is a PUBLIC forum on a PUBLIC domain, I am allowed to post here. Also, you tell us you have "joined a local and nationwide boycott of Walmart, and 'advise other to also.'" which once again makes your post very much our business.

So to start off, you are a hypocrite and a jerk. Despite being so incredibly upset about people being rude to you, you do seem to be quite an ### with your infantile name calling. And if WalMart sells cheap, foreign made junk that no one should buy, why were you there for your own Christmas shopping? Also, if you were the manager of a WalMart, then perhaps you would have an adaqute amout of expirence in such matters as to complain, as you seem to demand that much from everyone who has posted in response to you here. And finally, if you do not believe anyone who was not present during your incident could possibly understand what occured, do not attempt to post the story here.

• Pl
      1st of Jan, 2011

Brenda is correct. You are a hypocrite and a jerk. You are satisfied because you were compensated in the form of a gift card (from the DM) of a store that sells junk? From a store where you felt you were mistreated? From a store that you plan on boycotting? If you are going to boycott Walmart, then why would a gift card satisfy you?

If you actually meant what you said then you would do what I did, refuse the gift card. My letter, their follow-up phone call from store manager, DM, Corporate didn't work. What finally worked was when I returned (certified mail), the unused, destroyed, gift card. I guess I should have donated the card to a needy family; I really SHOULD have as a matter of fact. I was just so furious with this particular store, one particular supervisor, and the fact that the "problem" was not being addressed. I stressed to all of the above that I was not seeking a financial solution to my problem; that was not the point of my complaint.

The first offer, from the store manager $25 gift card which I verbally refused. Next, a phone call from DM asking ME what should be done, which I found odd and caught me off guard. I lamely answered something like "better management/employee relations" would be a start; another offer, a $50 gift card. Again, I verbally refused and explained it wouldn't be necessary since I wouldn't be returning and that I had already canceled our Sam's Club membership. Finally, a somewhat boilerplate letter from Corporate including a $100 gift card. (In hindsight, I regret not donating the card; poor excuse for my anger in the moment.)

You should be ashamed that you so willingly accept this gift from the DM. It negates your whole complaint and makes you look like a cash seeker. Believe me, you're on their "list", every list that Walmart keeps. What a joke.