Walmart Enid OK / slander

Enid, OK, US Review updated:

On Friday August 21, 2009 shortly before 9 PM, my daughter and grandchildren visited the Enid, Oklahoma Wal-Mart. My 5 year old grandson Charlie has a form of Autism called Asperger's. There are times when the weight of his clothing is too much for him to bear and he will remove his clothing. There times Charlie will either become afraid or over-stimulated by loud noises, crowds, and being touched by strangers, and this will set him to stemming and verbal noises. Charlie has a phobia of using public rest rooms, mainly because of the echoes that are magnified from the busy store. On the 21st, Charlie was wearing a t-shirt, shoes and a diaper; all of which was purchased from that very Wal-Mart. His hair was washed with shampoo purchased at Wal-Mart, as was the lotion on his skin, the soap he was bathed with.. well you get where I am going with this, right? Wal-Mart is one place where Charlie has felt safe, because his mother, uncle, and myself worked at the same Wal-Mart in Hillsboro, Texas until we moved to Enid. On this particular evening, my daughter was standing in line at the Pharmacy when an Associate, also in line, began to tell the cashier about the 6, 7, or 8 year old wearing a diaper, how the parents didn't care for him or they would potty train him or not bring him to the store in a diaper, among other things that were inappropriate on many levels. These things were said in the presense of customers, employees and the mother of the child in question. Shortly after this event, I entered Wal-Mart to pick up a few items for the weekend. I was greeted as usual by the friendly Associates when I heard my precious Charlie call my name. My daughter had been crying as a result of the verbal slandering she had witnessed at the Pharmacy. Being a former Vision Center Associate, I know that Wal-Mart takes every opportunity to educate the Associates on proper conduct and customer service. I was not upset with Wal-Mart, simply the offending Associate. I went to the Customer Service desk and spoke with Mel, the night manager who assured me that they would take care of the situation. Mel said that she believed that she knew which Associate had slandered my daughter and grandson and that it would be addressed as soon as the manager came in. I called to speak with the manager on the 22nd, and spoke with Lori, the assistant manager who then promised that the matter would be resolved as soon as she spoke with the manager on Monday. I asked for an apology to my daugher and grandson. Lori said I would hear from the manager on Monday the 24th. Here it is, Saturday August 29, and no one has returned my phone call as Lori promised. I gave her my cell and work numbers, and (husband)'s cell. I am now, not upset; I am mad! I will have an apology for my daughter and Charlie from Wal-Mart. I will be attending the 4R Kids Walk on 9/19/09, I will share my story with this group, on my blog, Enid News & Eagle, Autism Society, and anyone who will listen... Carla J. Price

Comments

• Ju
      Sep 09, 2009

Agreed, the Wal-Mart associate should have kept her mouth shut and her opinions to herself, but maybe your daughter should have tried to get Charlie to wear shorts or some article of clothing while shopping out in a public place. Not everyone will know Charlie has problems but will see an obvious 5 year old out in public basically indecent and in diapers. I find myself thinking it's ridiculous to see a child about 4-5 years old with a bottle or pacifier. I'm sure I would have felt the same way if I saw Charlie in a store unclothed and wearing a diaper with no bottoms on.

• He
      Oct 06, 2009

Hi there. I work at the enid walmart and have a daughter with asperger's. I, personally will talk to the store manager about the situation. I am deeply sorry for this. It breaks my heart. As fir Lori she no longer works for the enid walmart. Mel does and I will talk to her. please feel free to email me or talk to me. I am the photo lab manager and safety team leader. Email at [protected]@yahoo.com. Hope to hear from you.

• Ca
      Oct 11, 2009

I wanted to update the Enid Walmart post and to thank everyone for reading and posting. While I do not agree with everyone's opinion, you do have a right to speak your mind. I especially would like to thank Helen.
    My husband sent letters to Walmart, organizations and public representatives only to receive one response. Oklahoma State Representative John Enns' office responded and within a few hours my husband and daughter received a phone call from Enid Walmart Manager Les. He said that he did not know anything about the situation until he received a phone call earlier that day. He did apologize to my daughter.

• Ho
      Sep 16, 2010

yes the worker should have kept his mouth shut but there is a law that states plain and clear no shirt no shoes no service as well as it is not right for any child to be with out pants in public i have a child of my own that dont like clothes for whatever reason but he is made to wear them anytime he is in public you do need to think that if everyone was to start bringing there kids out in public with no pants the next step is doing it in the winter when kids should be bundled up to stay warm so you need to look at both sides not 1 i would not have said that to or around your anyone but i would have been thinking the same thing

• Ki
      Jun 04, 2018

@HonestAbe2010 The 'mother' disregards the "NO SHIRT... " policy. She herself has a 'problem' and attempts to alleviate her 'problem' (a psychotic-paranoid imbalanced dysfunctional ego problem), where she attempts to 'expound', releasing the 'pressure' by attacking anyone who is 'normal' and/or may seem superior to her or her 'children'. ... Happens all the time in Walmart. ... watch for it... sometimes very 'entertaining' ... can't get it on TV.

• Ki
      Jun 04, 2018

Walmart is one big bullseye for every woman who have children with PROBLEMS... These 'mothers', who have a pshchologically-impaired, dysfunctional ego and paranoid psychotic mentally-imbalanced problem themselves, must SHARE their unfortunate life with the public... and Walmart is the place for them to do it. They bring in these children and CUT THEM LOOSE... and when someone, anyone, customer, and especially someone who is an employee there, says ANYTHING at all, then that is the mothers' psychological VENTING opportunity to SHARE with everyone, and she "gets-it-off" with all the gusto that she can expound. ... Happens daily. ... Watch for it... Sometimes very 'entertaining'.