Walmart / video game return

1 Catskill Store #2351Catskill, NY, United States Review updated:
Phone: 518-943-9423

Approximately 1 week ago my son (he's 10) purchased a DS video game, Madden 09'. Yesterday, 2/17/09 we attempted to return the item due to it having a "glitch" causing the game to not work properly. We had the original receipt and bag. At first I was told we had to exchange the item for the exact same item. Upon checking the game area in the Electronics Section, I found that they were out of the item. Upon returning to "Customer Service", I was then informed that my son still could not have his money back to allow him to purchase the game elsewhere. We were then informed that we had to pick out another game. When I objected to this, I was informed that the stores policy was exchange only due to the item being opened. I explained that there was no way to know the item was defective without opening it. At that time I asked to speak with a manager. The associate retrieved "someone" from the back room, who had no Walmart identification, yet claimed she was the manager. She also refused to refund my 10 year old son his money. When I attempted to inform her of the issue at hand, she continually spoke over me about Walmart's Return Policy on opened electronics. I then became irate and again attempted to explain how 1st I was told the policy was exchange for same item only, when that didn't work to their favor (due to being out of stock); 2nd I was told to pick another game. When I refused the 3rd thing I was told was that they would give us store credit. They (Walmart) got their money and were refusing to give a 10 year old a refund on a defective item. After being left with no other choice, but to take the "store credit", I informed my son that I would make good to him on the money/game that he was out. It doesn't say much when a large cooperation treats a 10 year old as if he was attempting to rip them off. Some cooperate image. I personally spend $2500 OR MORE a year at Walmart. Money I used to spend there on back to school clothes/supplies, birthdays, groceries, etc. If this is how they plan on treating their customers then I WILL shop elsewhere! Short of an apology to my son and me, as well as something for my son's aggravation by the way we were treated, Walmart has lost a family of spending and we will tell our extended family, friends and my co-workers, DO NOT SHOP AT WALMART!

Comments

18th of Feb, 2009

MR STALY WILE I USNDERTADN YOU'RE FROSTRATON WTIH THIS SIUATON, BELIEBE ME I DO

YOU ASLO MSUT RELALISE THTA THEIR ARE CIRMINIALS WHO MAEK IT THEY'RE BUISNESS TO STEEL OR BUY VDEIO GMASE ADN THNE COPY THME TO A HADR DRIEV OR THE INTER NET, ,

THSI IS OBIVOUSLY THE OGIRIN OF THE WAML ART POLIECY'S

I DO NOT THNIK WAM LART WAS ACUSNIG YOU'RE SON OF BENIG ONE OF THOSE'S CIRMINLAL'S THOUG THEIR RELALLY IS NO EDIVENCE ONE WAY OR THE OHTER (I BEG YOU'RE PADRON, NO OFESNE IS ITNEDNED TO YOU OUR YOU'RE SON)

PREHASPS YOU CAN CERATE A "" LIEF LESOSN "" OTU OF THSI FOR YOU'RE SON, ,

BECASU ATFER ALL YOU DO HALF THE SOTRE CERDIT AND ITS OLNY A MATER OF ITME UNLIT WALMATR ONEC MROE REVECEICE'S ANOHTER SHIMPEMNT OF THIS FOTBLAAL GAEM1W, ,

TRUELYU I DO APLAUD YOU'RE EFORTS TOO BE A GODO FAUTHER FIUGRE IN THIS REGRAGD ADN I HPOE THAT U CAN KEPE US ALL POTSDED ON ANY FUTHRER DELEVOPEMNTS IN THIS

& PERHASP ON DAY FROGRIVE WAMLMATR OF IT'S TRASNGERSOINS

BLESINGS,

Dr M A CARNARVORO

• Ne
      2nd of Mar, 2009

And now, for a real comment in readable English...I worked for Wal-Mart electronics back in 1996-1999, and I can tell you that the store happily rips its customers off with that policy. The problem is, they actually teach their employees that when a consumer comes in looking for a video game, and it appears they don't know what they're looking for, you are to "push" onto them, the idea of buying a video game that doesn't sell well in the store. I never did that because, well, its unethical as hell. Then, I have actually been witness to a situation such as the one you were in where the manager continulously talked over the customer, never listening to a word she said about the game, repeating the return policy. Then when the customer showed the manager the unopened game, the manager accused her - and i mean ACCUSED her of "shrink wrapping" the package just to get her money back. At the time, we could do "switch-outs" back there at our register, and after my manager left (story later), I let the lady choose another game to swap out with. Shortly after I took care of that issue, I went back to the break room just to sit down, cuz I had to relax after that. I actually heard the very same manager in the "managers' office" talking about this woman's appearance, calling her a bum, saying that she's probably on her way to rob a bank, said the woman ate out of dumpsters, etc... Wal mart hires some of the worst damn people with no customer service skills whatsoever, and I call them on their ### each and every time, no matter how big the scene gets. A word of advice to you, Wal mart is big, but not all-powerful, stand up for your rights and don't let them talk you down into thinking you know nothing. Their managers are trained that the ONLY thing important in their position is making that almighty dollar and providing "visible customer service" when the big-wigs are in the store, but not when its just you against them. Good luck to ya, and don't let the powerhouse retailers walk all over you again.

• So
      3rd of Jul, 2009

Another point is, you may not have been the only person to return that game. I worked at a walmart in 1998 that would shrink wrap the packages back up and put them back out for sale. Along with other things that were returned because it was defective. Its sad.

• Wa
      8th of Aug, 2009

Wow...um mac, it makes your posts on forums sound less idiotic if you lower the amount of capital letters, and, make it sound at least somewhat grammatically correct. As far as walmart is concerned, personally I've never really ended up with a defective product from wal-mart until a few weeks ago when i bought the 10th anniversary medal of honor set for PC which came with Medal of Honor Airborne, Pacific Assault, Allied Assault, and the expansions for allied assault. First, the Airborne CD sends my PC to the blue screen of death whenever i put the CD into the drive (it's not my computer, i even checked with EA's customer service, they stated it was a glitched copy) Next, the Pacific Assault CD key is already in use (typed it in multiple times) and none of the CD keys for the allied assault expansions work. So, the only game that even works is Allied Assault. ;) It was only $20 so didn't really feel the need to go through then argument with the people at wal-mart that issue returns. Judging from the stories i've heard, is it really worth risking $40 to pay for wrath of the lich king at wal-mart, or should i just order it from blizzard to lower the chance of getting a defective copy or an already used serial key?

• Li
      14th of Aug, 2009

It is against the law to take back electronic merchandise (such as games and CDs). The defective items must be exchanged for the exact same item and if they are out of stock, they should have offered a rain check for that item when it did arrive in stores. No cash refunds; end of story.

• Sk
      17th of Oct, 2009

Lilvixen69, is full hist [censored]. How is it against the law? Where in the constitution does the United States have a return policy amendment?

I understand the policy is to combat piracy, and guys who blow through games in a matter of days and jsut want to exploit a 30 day return policy. However, rules need to be bent in certain situations.

For games that have "problems" from the manufacturer, I feel walmart should work hand in hand with the manufacturer to get the customer taken care of.

• Yo
      7th of Jan, 2010

Mac, you're a ### for 1. Spelling the word 'good' like 'godo'. But anyway, yesterday night I bought Cabela's Big Game Hunts '10. Sucked, it was just terrible. So I got my cousin who works there to take it back and I got my money back. Sucks for you guys!

• Nn
      14th of Apr, 2010

one thing is that if you open a game or software you cannot return unless it is defective. What happens if the game or the software suck or nice way of saying it would be not satisfied with the game or software you are stuck with it. I have had this happen with Battlefield bad company 2 for the PC the game is garbage but I cannot return it.

If you buy a TV and happy with the purchase you can return it for exchange or money back the software or games you cannot.
    you pay big bucks for the games and software and cannot return it. I hate that now I'm stuck with the game battlefield bad company 2 that I don't like playing and also wasted like $80 for it.

pissed off

• Kn
      25th of Jun, 2010

Damn Wal-mart for following those Copyright Laws! & Lady there are people that spend over $30, 000 a Month at Wal-Mart - let it go.

• Sc
      10th of Sep, 2010

Don't blame Walmart, it's not their policy that's the problem. I work for a Walmart in Maine. It's not our policy that prevents us from being able to refund customers the money for an opened video game, it's federal copyright laws. If Walmart refunded you the money the associate who did it would get fired, the Manager who ok'd it would get fired and the company would be sued by federal government. I understand your frustration, but it's actually not Walmart's fault, though some would like you to think so. Not trying to defend them, but the facts are the facts. It's illegal for Walmart to refund a video game, DVD, CD, or PC software.

• Bo
      26th of Sep, 2010

First off yeah there is a copyright law in place otherwise the media market would crash...movies, games all of it. Just imagine buying one movie, watching it and bringing it back for another and another and another. How would anyone make any money? So yeah the information you were told about exchange only for the same item was right.

Now about them being out of the game and not giving you a refund. I'm a manager at a walmart and if you had a receipt and we were out I'd suggest another exchange but if not a refund should not have been a problem. The copyright police aren't going to burst in and start kicking [censor] and no one is going to get sued it's just simple customer service and I'm sure any studio or game developer would agree.

On the flip side if this is the second or third time I've seen you up there for an exchange like this and it's a short enough time frame that I actually remember you (since I don't have to go to the front that often). Then sorry youll probably be SOL cause I'm just not going to trust you and I'll have a policy to back up the decision.

Also don't listen to Neal. He sounds a little disgruntled. I have people working for me just like him and truthfully they are a pain in the [censor]. You have to watch what you say because a simple "hey we need to move this older merchandise" turns into "the managers are forcing me to push this awful merchandise on customers and I think it's wrong because I like to create drama". I've worked here eleven years in several different stores and I've never heard of half the stuff he is talking about. Now talking about customers oh yeah, you act stupid in the store or come in looking all crazy were going to talk some smack in the back with the other managers I mean who wouldn't? Some of its venting and some of it just helps the day move along. Anyway cheers!

Also don't

• Lu
      7th of Oct, 2010

As a former employee, I can say this for Wal-mart returns on electronics items -- Computer games, etc.

Because of copyright issues and policies with the company who actually distributes computer games to Wal-mart (computer games are not actually "Wal-mart products" actually owned and distributed by another company), open computer games cannot be returned for a flat-out cash refund, even if a customer paid for a game with cash...with or without a receipt or if it is past Wal-mart's refund policy guidelines.

The manager was not out-of-line in this case, offering another product or offering a gift card instead because they didn't have the item. It wasn't that the manager didn't want to refund the money. By law, they are not allowed to once any electronic game is opened...even if a customer has a receipt. What I used to tell customers is, check the title before you open it to make sure it is what you want. If it is defective, I can exchange it or the exact same title but cannot exchange for a different title unless it is out of stock. By law, any defective merchandise is not suppose to be allowed back on store shelves, though I am informed in some Wal-marts merchandise makes it back onto the shelf.

Don't be mad at management for following company policy. If you don't like a store's return policy, you don't have to shop there. Best policy is to find out a store's return policy before you ever have to return something. Then, if you do need to return an item, you know what returns the store will and will not accept. Not every store (Walgreens, Best Buy, Freddie Meyer) etc has the same return policy.

Management at Wal-mart didn't treat you unfairly by offering to exchange your game for a new unopened game of the same title. Normally, this is what happens. However, when someone learned they were out of the title you wanted, they offered to give you another title. Since you didn't want another title, they offered to give you a gift card so that you could purchase the item the next time it was on the store shelf. On rare occasions, I, myself, have witnessed times when a customer purchased a game, it was defective and the company didn't have a replacement and wasn't getting any more of that particular game. They could either choose another title or receive a gift card. They were in the same situation and they didn't complain because they could not get cash back. They understood the store policy.

In any case, I don't think customers should expect something when company policy clearly states electronic items must be unopened to get a cash refund.

Clearly, when the store couldn't help you...because of federal copyright issues, you do have other options. You can take your game, call Nintendo itself and ask what they do about defective merchandise, since it is their game. They may have been able to ship you a new game...or refunded your money, in accordance with thier policies.

I have brought food in the store before which was out of date. Instead of taking it back to Wal-mart, I simply called the company. Do you know what the company did, they reimbursed me twice the price I paid for the item...so I could go back and by two more of the same product.

Don't blame the system if you aren't happy with it. Work with it or take your rights as a shopper and go elsewhere.

• Jb
      11th of Oct, 2010

This is all a bunch of bull.. it is not a federal regulation that Wal-mart or any other store in America has to abide by. It is a federal regulation stating that for example.. Wal-mart will not be refunded for opened video games that they accept back from customers. So point blank, they can refund your money, they just choose not to. because god forbid that a 50.00 loss on a video game should put a crunch in their million dollar day. I just had the same experience and needless to say that after 20 years of patronage, I am done with that damn place. And I also am a former employee of this corporation and I do know that they rip people off with their "policies" and they schedule 12 cashiers yet only have 3 on hand at the check outs because they KNOW people will wait. no they EXPECT people to wait. they know you aren't going to leave your cart there and walk out and go to another store and have to do all of your shopping all over again. its sad really. that this is how people get treated when they CHOOSE to spend their money at a specific retailer and support this business, and then they get treated like crap. 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed. right. only if it benefits them at the same time.

13th of Oct, 2010

OMG!! JUST BECAUSE ITS YOUR KID, THEY HAVE TO GIVE HIM WHAT HE WANTS? THATS NOT HOW THE WORLD WORKS. THE POLICY APPLIES TO THE CONSUMER, AND IF YOUR KID WAS INCLUDED, TOUGH [censor], YOU PROBABLY SPOIL HIM AND WANT HIM TO HAVE EVERYTHING DESPITE THE RULES... NOT GONNA HAPPEN, IN THE REAL WORLD, START LEARNING "10 YR OLD"

22nd of Nov, 2010

Get this one.. My eldest stepson was watching his six year old brother. The stupid stepson let his little brother go into WalMart with $150 by HIMSELF to buy video games. Stupid WalMart sold a six year old Call of Duty Black Ops (rated M for mature) and Star Wars The Force Unleashed II (rated T for teen). I'm not even going to go there about the stupid brother letting the six year old go into WalMart with $150, that was a rage in itself and big brother will no longer be watching little brother. So, anway, WalMart sold the six year old these games! Mom and dad find out about it and mom goes to take the brand new unopened games back to the store (as she found them under the six year olds bed). Of course I can not find a receipt because neither knucklehead knows what they did with it. So, already realizing they will NOT give me the money back as no receipt, I was thinking that they would give me a store credit for them (as I do a lot of shopping at WalMart). So, not only did the store BREAK THE LAW by selling these games to a six year old. But they told me that I would have to exchange the games for exact cost merchandise even though they were unopened! WTF? There were no age appropriate games at $59.96 for a six year old for the video game system we have. They would not let me get games that were $49.96 as they had a couple that I would have gotten and let them keep the extra $10 a game. Nope... I ended up having to exchange them for games my husband may or may not want and the $140 is coming off big brothers Christmas present to refund his little brother for 1) letting him take all his saved up money to the store and blowing it. 2) for letting him go into WalMart by himself. 3) For not immediately turning right back around and returning the games when he saw what his brother bought and 4) For loosing the receipt! I find it outrageous that since it was WalMart's error that this transpired that I couldn't get a store credit. I'm done with WalMart. There are plenty of other stores out there, that are much mor accommodating.

• Do
      24th of Jan, 2011

so i called the copy right law office in washington d.c. i waited like 30 min untill some lady picked up the phone. according to her there is no such law its just a store policy that says u cant return something cuz thats how they basically dont lose money. if u really not sure about a game wat you do is buy it used at gamestop. gam, estop and eb games give you 7 days to try he game so if you didnt like it return it. if you liked it and want to just get a new one exchange it as simple as that. foocking WALMART IS GAY. target gives u 90 days and dont really give a [censored]., besdt buy has the sme policythe number to the copyright office in washington dc is 2027075959