Walmart / my child treated unfairly

I will start this letter off saying I am not happy with my daughter has done, nore do I endorse it.

However my daughter and I went shopping. My daughter wanted to look at the toys. After we met up again my eleven year old daughter was arrested for shoplifting. I thought they were just arresting her because she was black. However she was actually shoplifting.

However here is where the unfair treatment is. If my daughter had been white they would never have suspected her. She would have gotton away with it.

The security had the nerve to tell me that they have been watching her for a few weeks because she was acting suspicious. I guess all blacks are suspicious in their eyes.

They lied to me and said that my daughter was trying to steal before. My daughter admitted this, however if my daughter had been white they would never have caught her in the first place because they would never suspect she would steal.

I have punished my daughter for this. I told her she was not allowed to go to her girl Guide meeting. However the fact that she is black is the major reason she was arrested. They would not have even looked at her if she was white.

She stole Barbie dolls and Polly Pockets for your information.

Julie, Missouri
U.S.A.

Comments

22nd of Aug, 2009

I will start this letter off saying I am not happy with my daughter has done, nore do I approve of what she did

However my daughter and I went shopping. My daughter wanted to look at the toys. After we met up again my eleven year old daughter was arrested for shoplifting aswe left the stor. I thought they were just arresting her because she was black. However she was actually shoplifting.

I have punished my daughter for this. However the fact that she is black is the major reason she was arrested. They would not have even looked at her if she was white.

She stole Barbie dolls and Polly Pockets for your information.

Julie
    none, Missouri
    U.S.A.

• Dl
      22nd of Aug, 2009

Well I am not racist and this is going to sound racist I dont know how else to say it. It is a fact that african american indivduals shoplift more then white people. Again I am not trying to offend. So for someone to watch an african american indivdual more closely because they tend to shop lift more frequently is justified. I think anyway.

• Ju
      22nd of Aug, 2009

Even if statistically black people shoplift more than white people is true, monitoring someone just for that reason and not due to their suspicious behavior or criminal history is racial profiling, which is just wrong period. I disagree with the original poster, though because she never mentioned any evidence that they arrested her daughter "just because she was black". It' s easy to fall into that opinion because it does happen, but your daughter was arrested because she SHOPLIFTED. She also admitted she had attempted to do it before at the store. That's why they got her because of her past and current behavior. Trust me, plenty of white people get arrested all the time for shoplifting and everything else. If they saw a little white girl shoplifitng they would be just as quick to nab her, they would never let that slide, black, white, or whatever. I find it hard to believe that the security at Walmart is out to get black people, they are just out to get shoplifters period. I remember getting in trouble at the dime store when I was a kid for trying to put more folders in the trapper keeper I wanted to buy because it only came with two folders. Kids shoplift all the time but hopefully they grow up and learn to know better.

• Mo
      22nd of Aug, 2009

I'm sorry that happened. Many children go through this as they test their boundaries and learn to control themselves by delaying gratification.

To "dlakers" - It is prejudice to assume someone suspicious based on their skin color.

To "no more racism" - White people get arrested for theft all the time as well as yellow, orange, brown, olive, etc. It is ### to think that everything bad that happens to black people is just because they're black. Bad stuff happens to everyone. No prejudice/racism required. You weren't there to see how she was acting. If I worked at a store and saw an adolescent spending a lot of time in any one section by themselves, I'd take notice. You should be grateful that she was caught in the hopes that she can learn from her mistake. Instead of making the issue that stealing is wrong and there are consequences for choosing to break the law, you redirected the issue to being about blacks vs. whites. I hope with all my heart that you do not talk like that in front of your daughter.

22nd of Aug, 2009

Yes, Let's all play that DAMN race card, never mind that she DID STEAL, I suppose that she should not ever have been suspected simply because she is BLACK or is it more POLITICALLY CORRECT to say "AFRICAN AMERICAN". To HELL with this politically correct ###ing bull ###, call a G*D DAMN SPADE A SPADE..or is that racist too?
    Even if she is caught in the act, I guess you would argue that because she is black, she should get a "get out of jail FREE card" because of the history of black's treatment by whites.
    How do we know that you didn't convince her to steal because the authorities would not be as harsh on her as they would on you or an older person?

We all have a bit of racism in us, I mean, if I were going try to get a girl friend, or look for a wife, I would look for a WHITE woman...NOT a BLACK woman because I AM WHITE! Does that make me a racist??

Has anyone noticed how often Obama uses the race card when someone disagrees with or argues with his decisions?

I wonder why there are so few blacks working at Walmart, at least in my area. Please don't insult my intelligence by claiming that Walmart's hiring practices reflect racism as a corporation because it ain't true.
    Could it be that most blacks simply don't want to work where there are several white working also...would you think that could be racist on the blacks part?

• Xe
      23rd of Aug, 2009

But if she was trying to steal before then that gives them a valid reason to keep an eye on her. And you don't know if they would have treated her different if she were white, you just don't know. What your daughter did was bad and should have been caught for it.

• St
      29th of Aug, 2009

I'm sorry but you just do not have a valid argument here. You daughter stole something - THAT IS THE FACT. I think you should just teach your daughter better instead of accusing Wal-Mart of being racist. As you mentioned, she had stolen stuff before so that is a perfectly OK reason to "keep an eye on her". As much as I hate Wal-Mart, I think you were definitely wrong this time.

You just cannot use the "race factor" when things were obviously your fault.

14th of Sep, 2009

my neice is 9 and we were at walmart and she was smelling shampoos and they thought she was shoplifting it has nothing with the color of ur daughter. they have high tech cameras. but i guess u see it as it is so much easier for white people to get away with it.
    the sales clerk even went as far to grab her by the arm and leave a bruise on her arm. so u should think again about what u wrote.

Dear Julie,
    I used to work for Wal- Mart, and when I was 13 got in trouble for shop lifting (funny, it was my friend who did not me, go figure). I can reassure you that it had nothing to do with your race. They have alot of cameras recording at all times, plus quite a few people watching them. Sometimes people get away with it, sometimes they do not. It depends on the number of workers, on the floor and watching the cameras, and on how the person is acting. There are obvious signs that the people watching the cameras are trained to watch for. Please look at this a good way. Obviously she is new at it, so she was caught. Thats good, and in my experience most people do it at one point in younge lives. Wal-Mart is very careful about training their employees to be non judgmental of... well, just about everything. The comment right before mine was rude. If you have a small child that is colored, then of course you would think that was the reason they were watching her. And that used to be the case. 20 years ago! Now, it has nothing to do with skin, dress, nor anything else superficial like that. The world has changed, and so have quite a few of us. And that number grows with each gereration born.

14th of Sep, 2009

i was not being rude i was stating a fact. what had happened to me. and we are white i was also saying that color has nothing to do with it...it just bothers me when people go and take the easy way out and blame it on race. just like colors dont like being called the n word but they can call whites crackers all day long... im not raciest by any means but it is something that will never end. i get tired of hearing people say its because im this color when in fact it is because of the actions you take, not your color. people need to realize that.

• He
      14th of Sep, 2009

I don't shop at Wal-Mart because of their malicious practices of silencing their employees, who decide to stand up for themselves. Ex: Unionization.

I take my money and shop at Canadian based companies. Few exist, I know.

Wal-Mart is a disrespectful organization.

• Lc
      7th of Oct, 2009

I just can't believe that some one would allow a 9 year old child to go into a store, and under the watchful eye of their guardian, take the caps off shampoo containers to smell them! Are companies going to have to shrink wrap shampoo now? I have never met a 9 year old involved in the process of chosing which shampoo to buy, if that was what she was doing. I think she was just doing what she wanted. Great lessons for the next generation! Total disregard. I don't want to purchase shampoo that had sombody's nose in it! Gross!

• Do
      15th of Oct, 2009

Stop using race as an issue and make your daughter accountable for the material fact here. She stole Barbie dolls and Polly Pockets- black, white, yellow, red, purple green, orange. I am so sick of this...stealing is stealing-there is NO justification for it. How are you going to excuse the real issue here- maybe it's because Mom is raising daughter and letting her off the hook because obviously everything can be blamed on race. JUST STOP!!! It's not going to help when she becomes an adult and faces real consequences for everything she does in life.

19th of Nov, 2009

i know it is not a excuss to smell the shampoos, but the fact of it was that the walmart employee grabed her by the arm and left marks on her. she is 9 years old and weighs 42 lbs, and this 56 year old 100+ pounds grabed her up. and like the other people said it is not because she is black or white, blacks just use that excuss oh its because im black, that way they dont have to pay for there actions, its a way out so they think

21st of Dec, 2009

I don't think race has anything to do with the watching of shoplifters. The fact is your child was caught. If she would have gotten away with it at walmart, would you not have punished and told her it was okay. I come from a mixed world, I am white, but I have many blacks in my life. The blacks in my life don't blame anything on race. They know life if what you make of it, and any person can do anything they set their mind too. Whether it be stealing or studying to get into a good college. Quit pushing your self back with race.

• Ti
      21st of Dec, 2009

Your child stole, and they caught her. Nothing unfair about it. Wonder where she learned to shoplift?

• Ur
      21st of Mar, 2010

This is the most ###ed thing I've ever heard anyone say!! LMAO Surely this has to be a joke!

I'll assume for a minute that you're being for real. I can assure you that stores can and DO monitor white people who they suspect of shoplifting. My pale as a ghost sister was arrested for shoplifting with her tan, but white, friend when she was a teenager. And we live in a community that is about 70% black. hahaha

Not all blacks act suspicious... Only black people who steal! :D

And by the way, I completely think racial profiling is a great way to deter crime. If I ran an airline, I would certainly watch people of Arab decent more closely than anyone else. It just makes sense.

Save the ### and moaning for an INNOCENT person who was arrested because they were black. Oh wait... Does that even happen?? Wal Mart doesn't arrest people... The POLICE do. So who are you really complaining about here??

This complaint doesn't even make sense to me.

• Mr
      23rd of Apr, 2011

Walmart has security cameras and asset protection associates. They watch ANYONE who is behaving suspiciously or that has behaved suspiciously in the past. Color has nothing to do with it. I know quite a few white people, and not all of them are teenagers, that get followed around and watched by security in Walmart. Not everything is about race. If you act like you are guilty of something, people are going to keep an eye on you.